Worth Upgrading or Waste of Money?
Feb 6, 2017 at 10:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

N0sferatu

500+ Head-Fier
Currently I have an Audio-GD FUN I bought several years ago.  I use it primarily for PC FLAC/MP3 playback.  It's my speaker system for my desktop PC as I have no speakers connected to the computer (it's all headphone output).  Personally, I think the system sounds fine with the headphones I'm driving on it (Fostex TH900, Sennheiser HD600) but do recognize technology changes with time.  I just bought the Fostex and they sound amazing on this setup but just wondering if I'm leaving anything on the table without getting something more modern.  Perhaps the Schitt Jotunheim?  

Keep it or sell it and grab something else?  I personally don't see the financial value in it to my ears at the end of the day to spend $1000+ on a DAC and another $1000 on an AMP but I would be willing to spend a couple hundred for a good setup if it's going to enhance beyond what I have already.  If you're going to make a recommendation I want the USB DAC input that's how the FUN is set up.

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #2 of 2
  Currently I have an Audio-GD FUN I bought several years ago.  I use it primarily for PC FLAC/MP3 playback.  It's my speaker system for my desktop PC as I have no speakers connected to the computer (it's all headphone output).  Personally, I think the system sounds fine with the headphones I'm driving on it (Fostex TH900, Sennheiser HD600) but do recognize technology changes with time.  I just bought the Fostex and they sound amazing on this setup but just wondering if I'm leaving anything on the table without getting something more modern.  Perhaps the Schitt Jotunheim?  

Keep it or sell it and grab something else?  I personally don't see the financial value in it to my ears at the end of the day to spend $1000+ on a DAC and another $1000 on an AMP but I would be willing to spend a couple hundred for a good setup if it's going to enhance beyond what I have already.  If you're going to make a recommendation I want the USB DAC input that's how the FUN is set up.

With the exception of Class D, amplifier tech hasn't really had drastic developments. More like refinements over the years - the circuits might seem extremely different but the end result isn't exactly all that large of a gap between decent older gear and comparable newer gear. I'd much rather keep the Fun for now - save your money and use it for when you actually need it. Like if something breaks and needs repairs or replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back