Worth upgrading from a Receiver?
Jul 14, 2011 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

BotByte

Headphoneus Supremus
I own some second hand, Sony Am/FM receiver that I'm using as an amp and loving it

But, is it worth it to upgrade to a amp?

I mean, I got it for $15 and gives me impressive sound vs. my Cowon. I'm just wondering if it's worth the money to upgrade to amp.

From computer, via 3.5mm to rca. btw.

Also, could it be worth my money to look up a USB DAC to plug to my receiver?

Jul 14, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #3 of 8
I agree.  Based on what you said in the OP, there doesn't seem to be a reason to spend the money for a dedicated amp if you're happy with the stereo's output.  I went through a couple amps over the past year to only realize that I preferred the way my stereo receiver drove notoriously difficult headphones (like the K702 and HD800).  

I don't know your budget, but you can find a DacMagic for about $350.  There is also the Schiit Bifrost.  It's not out yet, but the company doesn't make "Schiity" products.    

Quote:
I'd invest in a usb dac first. I have no idea about the receiver, various older ones seem to have a nice a phone output.

Jul 14, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #4 of 8
In my opinion it's worth upgrading... of the receivers I've listened too I haven't heard anything that great. I'd start out with a hybrid Zero DAC/amp ($100) or something similar from Audio-GD ($200), all these 'cheap' amps and DACs are built around $10 op-amps so you may as well go cheap.

Jul 14, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #5 of 8
Oh, sorry about the budget drop

I'd like to spend about $100 for a DAC, but lower is best.

So, I guess I'll just keep my receiver and look up some DAC then

Jul 15, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #7 of 8
Jul 15, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #8 of 8
Heya,

Sometimes I use my receiver as well (Onkyo) when watching a movie. It's hooked up via optical out from a PC to the receiver. When I plug in, I can definitely tell when I'm on the receiver vs using a dedicated DAC/AMP. The thing is, the receiver doesn't have nearly as nice a DAC as something you'd get stand alone (at least in most cases unless it's a high end receiver). Between a soundcard and the quality of the receiver, I'd imagine if you heard your audio on a quality DAC with even no amplification (unless absolutely required to drive) you would be impressed. I can usually hear a weird noise in the background during silent moments. Highs sound different. Bass is more muddy than controlled. At least to me.

I would not get a USB DAC just to plug into that receiver. The receiver isn't just amping the signal and sending it back out, it's likely processing it. I could be wrong there, but I've found whether I input from my DAC or just optical in from the PC, it sounds the same from the receiver on headphones--which to me says that the receiver is processing the signal itself with it's own built-in DAC and degrading quality compared to my actual DAC.

I think if you tried something like a Hifiman EF2A you might be surprised compared to even a nice mid-range receiver. And if you tried a Matrix Cube DAC, you'd be wanting new headphones (not worth it though based on your headphones).

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back