Worth of CD3K's
Jan 29, 2004 at 8:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

lojay

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello.....

I've seen NEW retail Sony CD3000's here in Hong Kong for a BARGAINABLE HKD$2,700 or USD$350 a pair. Worth it?

Ppl in Head-fi are selling theirs for around $350 as well, so I figure it would be really cheap for a new CD3K at the same price. Or (to ppl in HK) have the prices here been around $350 for a long time already? If so I think I'll wait til it gets cheaper....If its cheap enuf I think i'd buy it right now....cant wait...muahahahahaha.

So again....are they worth it? Or should I wait for the Grado RS-1's next door? Ppl seem to upgrade their CD3000s to RS-1's here.....and the HD600's are cheaper here.......tho I havent heard any of them.

Hmmm....And why are ppl selling their cd3000's frantically on the FS forum? ><

[PS: I'm currently having a Senn 497 and thinking of either buying a RME Digi968 or a serious CDP like an Arcam or NAD 521 later. If I buy the CD3K I prob need a really nice amp, which I'm thinking of an ASL MG Head or PPA.]

Jan 29, 2004 at 8:52 AM Post #2 of 16
Rs-1 is good but cd3k is no slouch either.
I think $350US(shipped) is a good price for them.
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2004 at 8:53 AM Post #3 of 16
Mine was about $350 shipped.

MG Head is not a good match for CD3000. PPA is a better match.

Jan 29, 2004 at 9:13 AM Post #4 of 16
cool...
well those arent shipped, so minus the shipping cost theyre more expensive than yours....... too bad even if I'll buy it I'll have to use it with my cheap onboard sound card since my CDP is broken....darn.

Jan 29, 2004 at 9:51 AM Post #5 of 16
I like the CD3000 alot better than the RS-1. I think 350.00 new is a good price.

Jan 29, 2004 at 10:57 AM Post #7 of 16
$350 new seems a fairly good price considering it has gone up significantly to over $400 in audiocubes. The RS-1 is obviously different sounding from the CD3K. Given their price performance the CD3K does seem more VFM. However I do still have slight issues with the CD3K interms of bright sound on some CDs which I never have anymore on the RS-1 on my current tube amp. Both cans appeal to me with the CD3K more so at the moment due to it's abilit to sound nothing like a closed design whilst offering a fair degree of isolation from the outside. Which one is better depends on your personal taste. Both are a little coloured IMO but doesn't necessarily mean bad. I like it that way anyway.

So far the main differences I've noticed are that reverberations on the CD3K tend to sound more exaggerated giving live stadium recordings that extra 'spacy' sound. I find it slower sounding compared with the RS-1 & as yet don't find it very appealing for rock music. Although electronic music seems fine on it. Acoustic Jazz sound superb on both! Both also have good detail retrieval with the CD3K giving a more mettalic zing to guitar strings, cymbals etc. The RS-1 excelling more on drums.

Jan 29, 2004 at 11:07 AM Post #8 of 16
thx for the replies....
btw uncledan.....where did u get ur R-10's?

man, the CD3K's are NO WHERE near the R-10's (considering the price).....did u get them cheap in HK?

erm....in tak fat mong kok......thats where they are.....My fd went there and asked for the price just yesterday evening.....he was looking for a cheap eaarbud and phoned me for "advice",......in return I had him help me ask for the CD3K's. I should of asked him if they allowed ppl to audition them. the grado owner next door let ppl audition his SR80's......FYI....

EDIT: sorry, had to ask......so about the reverbations, do they affect the sound detail or separation of instruments? and i've also heard that CD3K isnt really sturdy, on average how long would something go wrong with them? If they break in a couple of years I'd better get a RS-1 or HD650.......

I still dunno which sound I like. I guess if they all sound good I wont care who sounded better....dun wanna be picky, besides how would I know if the shop owners wont give me enuf audition time? in Hong Kong auditioning is hell........the shop spaces are so small u literally have no place to sit!

Jan 29, 2004 at 11:26 AM Post #9 of 16
From a rash of CD 3000 sell-offs ]...

Quote:

Seeing CD3000s go for less than $350 is rather surprising...but it was bound to happen eventually.

*GRIN* we can get them below $350 for new~!! yippieyay!

I'd done some "research" on whether to buy the CD3K or the RS-1, but the CONCLUSION was ......theres too much said that gave me A HEADACHE!!~ heeeelp.

But since the RS-1 is WAY expensive....HKD5,5xx vs HKD (below) 2,700 (1 USD to 7.8 HKD if i recall)....I guess I'll get the CD3Ks IF they dun sound that much in difference.......

btw why are u guys selling ur CD3K's? tht "sell-off" post didnt give me a clue......

Jan 29, 2004 at 11:30 AM Post #10 of 16
The reverberations I heard did not affect the detail & seperation of instruments.

I bought mine used. I may be the 3rd owner it still seems fairly robust although it is not in the same league as the Beyers or Senns. The Grados don't look it but they are very tough. I suppose if you don't abuse the CD3Ks they would last pretty long. The pleathers still feel soft & supple. Only the headband's elastic seems loosened. The previous owners must have big heads LOL! Just kidding!

I tend to factor in the practical aspects of things rather than wholly on sound quality although it is still high on my list because at this price range, to me, most headphones tend to sound very good, just a difference in sound character to suit your music. Like do you need isolation, comfort, yada, yada, yada. One very important thing to consider is the equipment you will partner it with. It could mean nirvana or hell!

Jan 29, 2004 at 11:37 AM Post #11 of 16
maybe I should make a search on RME + CD3K then.......and ppl say the MG Head is cheapest in HK.......thts cool ^^.....as I see thts wat ur using, do u use them with ur CD3K's?

i guess buying an amp in HK is easier coz they have it on display already. rather the headphones have all the packaging (usually they dun have demo cans coz headphones arent so popular here) so i guess figuring the amp would be much more easier....thx...

Jan 31, 2004 at 2:40 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by lojay
I've seen NEW retail Sony CD3000's here in Hong Kong for a BARGAINABLE HKD$2,700 or USD$350 a pair. Worth it?

If it is a headphone that you want (good to listen first) then I think the price is excellent. I searched in Japan and was unable to find a better price.

Jan 31, 2004 at 6:52 AM Post #13 of 16
I would buy another new pair at $350.

Jan 31, 2004 at 11:45 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by lojay
maybe I should make a search on RME + CD3K then.......and ppl say the MG Head is cheapest in HK.......thts cool ^^.....as I see thts wat ur using, do u use them with ur CD3K's?

i guess buying an amp in HK is easier coz they have it on display already. rather the headphones have all the packaging (usually they dun have demo cans coz headphones arent so popular here) so i guess figuring the amp would be much more easier....thx...

Why ppl selling their CD3K? I have no idea, maybe ppl try to upgrade their CD3K to other headphone, such as:HD650. I had CD3K before, I think CD3K sounds very great, especially for rock and pop music, since CD3K give deep and solid bass. (of course, you can not compare CD3K to R10) For US$350, looks like it is a great price. Also, based on the review of CD3K, CD3K have better match with SS amp, not tube amp.

If you have more money, maybe you should consider to get a STAX system in HK, I heard that STAX system price pretty cheap in HK.

Jan 31, 2004 at 2:25 PM Post #15 of 16
Stax's are about $2500 for the omega II's if I recall correctly.......never tried them...>< i guess quite cheap already, considering the apartments here are around 100 times the price.....and 2nd hand cars 3 times the price......
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Still too much $$$ for me....

I'm thinking of the RME Digi968 now.....haha see my activity in the "Source " forum~! ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back