worth it to upgrade from the ATH A500's to A900's?
Oct 19, 2007 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Mink

Headphoneus Supremus
I have read everything there is to read about the Denon AH-D2000's and ATH A900's.
Still I want to know if upgrading from the ATH A500's to the A900's would be a significant upgrade.

Could the Denon AH-D2000's be overkill considering the modest source and phones-out I use?
I will plug the headphones straight in the phones-out of a Marantz CD6000 KI.

With the Denon AH-D2000's, which are placed nearer to the high-end, it could simply mean better sound or plain worse sound with the modest source and amp I use?
More details would be fine, but I don't want it at the cost of some fullness, fluidity, cohesion and warmth, which I get with the A500's.
Are my source and amp up the task giving the AH-D2000's what they want?

Thanks!

Oct 19, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #2 of 8
Maybe you should try titling a thread something like "worth it to upgrade from the A500 to A900?"

Instead of vague generic crap like this. I'm only responding because I'm unemployed until monday, and I'm really really bored.

Oct 19, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #3 of 8
You're probably right.
I'll post another thread in a couple of days and leave this one bleeding to death.
Thanks.

Oct 19, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #4 of 8
You can retitle this one

Oct 19, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 8
Really?
I tried it with my previous thread but with no succes.

Edit: Succes!

Oct 19, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #6 of 8
Now that the weekend is here, you should start getting some responses!
I, myself, haven't heard these cans, so I'm interested in the replies, too.

Oct 19, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #7 of 8
I own the A900 but have never heard the Denons nor the A500... so I can't be of direct help

but I'll try to make sure you get better answers by asking a couple questions... Why are you considering an upgrade? What bothers you about the A500? Is something missing? What would you expect the new phones to do (better than the A500)? Are you happy with the A500 in general, but want everything to be a bit better/refined? (this would point towards an upgrade within the same line) Or are you tired of its sound? Are there things you really like/dislike in headphones?

And the usual: what will you be using them for? (ATH's are non-portable while the denons can be) Which kind of music? Movies/gaming? ...

The more info you provide (about your preferences) the better the answers will be able to help you in the end as ppl can place themselves in your situation better...

hope this helps and thanks for editing the thread and not starting a second one for nothing... wish more ppl would do that!

Oct 19, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for the replies!

I exclusively will use the headphones for music, mainly classical music.
They don't need to be portable so size and weight isn't an issue.
Both Denon's and ATH's are known for their comfort and indeed my ATH A500's are great.
I prefer closed back, because I like to be locked in a sound-scape.

I love the sound of my A500's and to be honest: considering a new pair of headphones is nothing more than a symptom of upgrade-itis (something I never experienced before: I lived with my previous Sony MDR-CD270 headphones for over 10 years without even considering a new pair) and because I can get a good deal on both the ATH A900's and Denon AH-D2000's.

I like the full and tonal balanced sound of my A500's very much and prefer it over the A700's which I found to be brighter, less fluid and with emphasized highs and lows, so I wonder if the A900's character is more like the A500's or the A700's?

Since I mainly listen to classical music I would like instruments to be better defined, a bit more detail, bit more separation but not at the cost of fluidity and cohesion.

I tried AKG K271's which were superior in detail and instrument separation, but lacked the easy-going nature of my A500's.
In fact I never have been impressed by electronics that were supposed to be specifically suited for classical music.
Mostly it sounded too analytical and cold with less than top notch recordings - I want my headphones to sound a bit forgiving with poorer sounding cd's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back