Worth getting a DAC for my MacBook?
Feb 1, 2008 at 3:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

indysmith

100+ Head-Fier
Well I've heard that I'm getting bit-perfect audio from my MacBook with all of its volume controls on full. Would there be any point in shelling out a couple of hundred quid on an outboard digital to analog convertor.
TBH I'm very happy with my current setup of macbook -> graham slee voyager -> grado sr80. I don't feel anything is lacking at all and i can't imagine how it can be bettered. But then again i thought the same thing before my Voyager came- and i'm pretty impressed with that.
The reason I'm asking is that in another old thread someone said that the MacBook's built-in DAC is actually quite good and it wouldn't be worth getting another until you can afford a Lavry DA10...
Thanks guys 'n' gals!

Feb 1, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #2 of 22
I would get your hands on an Apogee Duet and see what you think. To date, this has been the most significant improvement in my Mac-based audio experience. Since getting this thing three days ago, I have probably logged more listening time with headphones during this time than I have altogether in the last couple of months.

Feb 1, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would get your hands on an Apogee Duet and see what you think. To date, this has been the most significant improvement in my Mac-based audio experience. Since getting this thing three days ago, I have probably logged more listening time with headphones during this time than I have altogether in the last couple of months.

That thang looks AWESOME. I love that it works with Logic, and can accept microphone input - will be very useful for my course at University. I'd love give one of these a tryout sometime.

Feb 1, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #6 of 22
The macbook pro dac works, but every external dac I have tried with it has sounded better. Now, is it the quality of the mbp dac? or the fact that it is inside a noisy computer, i don't know, probably both.

Feb 1, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #7 of 22
The MacBook Pro's DAC might be of good quality. But it don't have a analog signal level output, and hence you wont get the full benefit from it. You are either plugging the headphone directly into the MacBook Pro, using its internal amplifier. Or using an external amplifier to amplify the already amplified (remember the internal amplifier) signal.
Neither of these are a ideal solutions.
wink.gif

Hence you will benefit from using an external DAC and amplifier. But you need to tell if its worth it or not.

Feb 1, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #8 of 22
You only get "bit perfect" if you use the optical out of the headphone jack and send it to an outboard DAC, or use a USB device.

I am using a Headroom Ultra Micro DAC with my iMac via USB. It has seemed to me a step up from my year old Vista PC with XFi feeding the same DAC and Raptor.

You will not believe what a good external DAC fed with lossless files from your MAC via plain old iTunes will sound like.

Feb 1, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #9 of 22
I have to say your headphone choice of SR80 is likely a limiting factor. No reason to go crazy with its inherent limitations. The cheapest DAC jump I've heard is the Squeezebox or Pico or Scott Nixon TubeDAC. I'd be hesitant in placing any weight around the claim a Lavry is necessary.

Feb 3, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #12 of 22
My main source is a MBP. Every external DAC I have used, regardless of price, has given me a much better listening experience. So far, I have used the Total BitHead, iBasso D1 (USB and Optical out) and the HR Ultra Micro DAC.

Personally, I prefer the optical out to USB. It is much more convenient to just plug it in and go. With USB devices, the computer does not automatically select the USB sound device.

Feb 5, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, the Apogee Duet sure looks a lot sexier than the Pico though =D

I agree, though you have to keep in mind the breakout cabling all over too.

Feb 5, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to say your headphone choice of SR80 is likely a limiting factor.

Why's that? Give me a chance
biggrin.gif
- I only got into this whole Head-Fi thing a few weeks ago, and I'm pretty impressed with these headphones. Haven't heard any better yet.
Do you think I should think about upgrading them?
confused.gif

I'm gonna go for the Apogee Duet btw folks - thanks!

Feb 5, 2008 at 11:20 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by illkemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My main source is a MBP. Every external DAC I have used, regardless of price, has given me a much better listening experience. So far, I have used the Total BitHead, iBasso D1 (USB and Optical out) and the HR Ultra Micro DAC.

Personally, I prefer the optical out to USB. It is much more convenient to just plug it in and go. With USB devices, the computer does not automatically select the USB sound device.

hey, you may already know this, but I didn't and it made quite a big difference with the ultra dac, I was surprised nobody told me when I bought it, so I thought i'd take the time to write it again. Make sure you have the midi setting to 96khz on your computer, and quit itunes before you do it. Then relaunch and listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back