WORST headphone you ever heard?
Feb 3, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #1,066 of 1,786
V-moda Vibes.

I bought them before I knew ANYTHING about decent IEMs, before I really paid as much attention to headphone sound quality in general.
These are harsh, a bit shrill at the top end, bass is shallow and the mids are mediocre. 

But they are red and SHINEY and the same colour as my iPod that I got for pounding along on the tredmill.
so, I guess they do that okay... but better now, are my Ortofons, which are ALSO red, and fit my ear canals just fine when tred-milling.

LOL!

Feb 3, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #1,068 of 1,786
sorry for the really late response.. But really? You think they are one of the worst? Of course everyone has different tastes.. I think that Specially for the price is a very nice phone.. I do agree that it's not a fun sounding iem.. In terms of like a v. Sounding earphones.. I think it sounds great.. Imo of course.. At first when I got it I was like.. Huh? Lol but when using it for a while.. Like most iems.. Or some anyways.. Takes a little time to adjust.. After using it for a while then taking it out and putting something else in.. That was like almost three times as much.. I was like no no put the re400 back in.. Lol I wouldn't have expected to see that phone on here lol but hey each their own rite... Again just my opinion... Happy listening.. :)

I tried to be careful in my wording.  Considering how much praise they receive here I was expecting more.  Are they some of the worst? Of course not.  However, after further experience with higher end IEMs (Etys, and Shure SE846), they still don't do it for me.  Maybe its because its a dynamic driver, or maybe it was a an issue with fit.  Either way, it was not for me.

But then again, for the most part, we are all comparing quality products here, so its not so much that its bad, as much as I prefer something else.

Feb 3, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #1,069 of 1,786
There's plenty of bad headphones out there but I'm always wondering why Koss gets a pass.
Perhaps I haven't heard the right phones from them.

About 40 years ago my older brother (who was suppose to know good equipment) picked out some Koss headphones for my big Christmas present.
They sounded so muddy I returned them to the HiFi shop and got a wonderful pair of SENNHEISERS.(the model 125 or 250 comes to mind)

Anyways, about a year ago I needed some portable phones so I bought what most everyone says is the bang for the buck...Portapros!

They are so muddy and bass heavy I can't stand them...I gotta put them up for sale at amazon to recoup some dough.

People really do hear things differently.

Feb 3, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #1,070 of 1,786
A few year ago before the headphone industry boomed, you could sometimes find Portapros for as little as $15, which is exactly what gave them their 'bang for buck' status.
One website in England was practically giving them away for £10 for a short time. 
Since the boom, the price has more than doubled in some places. In Germany for example, the latest high street price I saw was around 45 euros ($60), and on the interwebs it's usually around 30 euros ($40). 
"Bang for buck?" I think not. 

Feb 3, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #1,071 of 1,786
  There's plenty of bad headphones out there but I'm always wondering why Koss gets a pass.
Perhaps I haven't heard the right phones from them.

About 40 years ago my older brother (who was suppose to know good equipment) picked out some Koss headphones for my big Christmas present.
They sounded so muddy I returned them to the HiFi shop and got a wonderful pair of SENNHEISERS.(the model 125 or 250 comes to mind)

Anyways, about a year ago I needed some portable phones so I bought what most everyone says is the bang for the buck...Portapros!

They are so muddy and bass heavy I can't stand them...I gotta put them up for sale at amazon to recoup some dough.

People really do hear things differently.

Give the DJ100 and ESP950 a try if you ever get the chance. They're a whole lot crisper and more midrange-oriented than the lower Koss models.

Feb 3, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #1,072 of 1,786
V-moda Vibes.

I bought them before I knew ANYTHING about decent IEMs, before I really paid as much attention to headphone sound quality in general.
These are harsh, a bit shrill at the top end, bass is shallow and the mids are mediocre. 

But they are red and SHINEY and the same colour as my iPod that I got for pounding along on the tredmill.
so, I guess they do that okay... but better now, are my Ortofons, which are ALSO red, and fit my ear canals just fine when tred-milling.

LOL!
Back when V-Moda was a tougher (and more stylish IMO) Beats.

Feb 3, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #1,073 of 1,786
yeah.... decent LOOKING enough.

but they sound, well........YEESCH!  
eek.gif

Feb 4, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #1,075 of 1,786
man, I dunno about anything from them outside of that Shiney Red pair I own that's sort of ancient by IEM standards.
So, maybe yours sound great. 
cool.gif

All in the ear of the beholder, as it were...
Yah, I'm kinda audiophile, but sure not an elitist about it.
If it sounds good to you, then that's all that matters.
Yours are the ears they're plugged into, after all.

But shoot.
You been posting along here on this forum way more often than me.
So you know that schtuff already.

And I gotta say... I'm less of an IEM guy than a Cans Man anyway. Still exploring the IEM side of things.

If this thread is technically about full-sized headphones, and the worst I've experienced,(seems like a lot of us have strayed), then it would be a nasty pair of Sony MDR (v6ers?) from the 90's.
Also, YEESCH!  

Feb 4, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #1,076 of 1,786
B&W P5 is the aural equivalent of smog. I couldn't keep it on long enough to try to find out why it's so bad. Then I read that "they sound better than they measure." That's what you say when you're into measurements and you want to account for a momentary lapse in taste.

Feb 4, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #1,077 of 1,786
B&W P5 is the aural equivalent of smog. I couldn't keep it on long enough to try to find out why it's so bad. Then I read that "they sound better than they measure." That's what you say when you're into measurements and you want to account for a momentary lapse in taste.

I've found that B&W made some changes with the P5 throughout their production. For at least the first year, they had really thick padding in front of their drivers that made them sound really veiled, but since at least last year, they've removed that and they sound a little clearer.

Feb 4, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #1,078 of 1,786
I've found that B&W made some changes with the P5 throughout their production. For at least the first year, they had really thick padding in front of their drivers that made them sound really veiled, but since at least last year, they've removed that and they sound a little clearer.

Interesting . . . Thanks. I demoed it at an authorized dealer here whose other phones were good, so I don't think it was defective (the other explanation I thought of) but I don't know if it was EP or LP or something in between. I *hope* it was the early ones: I can scarcely imagine what a worse one could sound like.

Feb 4, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #1,079 of 1,786
Yeah, the first time I heard them years ago, I was really disappointed by them. But the pair I heard last year was decent. It was still very warm and far from accurate, but I thought they were very pleasant in a syrupy way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back