Work for a record label & have your say
Jun 16, 2010 at 11:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

TheDeliveryMan

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi!

Eric from Sennheiser USA here. We are kicking off the summer with an exciting new platform designed to expose YOU to new music as well as give your band an effective vehicle to promote your work.

www.picktheband.com

Best of all, YOU are in control of the outcome and can win a trip to a major music festival and killer Sennheiser gear.

The best music wins, period.

Fans and bands directly affect the outcome of this campaign and nobody knows music inside and out as well as the Head-Fi crowd. The best band can win a 3 song demo with Pick The Band and Universal Republic Records.

As you know, Sennheiser is deeply involved in the music industry-- we strive to provide superlative input (microphones) as well as output (headphones) for your music.

--> If you are serious about hearing music, we'd love your participation. You're the experts.

--> If you are serious about playing music, here is your opportunity to get noticed.

Thanks for your time. For more information visit www.heariam.com or www.picktheband.com or PM me directly.

Best,

Sennheiser USA
Universal Republic Records
PickTheBand.com

Jun 16, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #2 of 9
Wait - what is the assurance that this isn't some popularity fest? I don't want an overhyped mainstream band to win just because the ignorant masses don't know anything else (not implying that all mainstream bands are, but quite a few definitely are. I can't imagine that only Head-Fiers would be voting.)

This page reeks of unprofessionality:

http://www.picktheband.com/index.php?cn=frontend/contest&co=osheaga2010

'thru'?

MP3s for both uploading and voting? Really?

Jun 16, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #3 of 9
Each active participant is in the driver's seat...the users are the ones who decide what becomes popular. This is an opportunity to voice an opinion and affect the outcome.

A popular song or band can also have critical and underground appeal.

If you don't like the webpage you don't have to participate, no big deal. We appreciate your feedback and time.

*edit* I re-read your post and wanted to add something. If you are concerned about bots or programs that would unfairly sway a vote one way or the other, the PickTheBand system avoids that: in order to vote you must actually listen to the track and spend time on the submission portal. (this cannot be automated). I hope that eases your concerns. PTB showed us the system and how this gets avoided and it is very promising.

Jun 16, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
Each active participant is in the driver's seat...the users are the ones who decide what becomes popular. This is an opportunity to voice an opinion and affect the outcome.

A popular song or band can also have critical and underground appeal.

If you don't like the webpage you don't have to participate, no big deal. We appreciate your feedback and time.

Thank you for your professional response. I do appreciate that.

However, I'd think this event would be more serious if lossless files could be submitted and used for judging. With top of the range equipment, there usually is a difference with lossless files (understatement really, I can tell the difference between lossless and 320 MP3 with iBuds on certain tracks) - especially when doing critical listening. No one should have their potential limited by hindering and meaningless bottlenecks.

You are also right about critical and underground appeal of bands, even if they are popular. Lets just hope that the winners truly do make both substantial and widely appreciable music, shall we?

Jun 18, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #6 of 9
There are 3 phases to the contest as well--

The first is based on the amount of credible shares by fans, the second is a judging panel of high profile industry figures and then lastly is a public vote. The variety of phases ensures credibility throughout the duration of the engagements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back