Woodied 225 or better cd player
Jan 15, 2005 at 5:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

krafty

Head-Fier
Wanting to spend some money on this fine hobby of ours. I currently have a PPX3 / AMC CD8b / 225's / a bunch of IC's. I know I need a better player, but money was tight and I knew I was going to upgrade anyhow. In your opinion, what would be the better move for ~$500 :

1) Get the NAD 521BEE and get my 225 woodied.

2) Get a NAD 542 or Cambridge 640.

Jan 15, 2005 at 7:01 PM Post #4 of 10
I love the 225's and the PPX3. The midrange is something special with this combo. That is why I am trying to build around this pair. Another neat thing I have found lately is this combo is very interconnect dependant. I can make the high end overly bright to overly rolled off with different interconnects. I guess that goes for tubes also. Lotsa options.

keep your opinions comming !!!!

Jan 15, 2005 at 7:49 PM Post #5 of 10
although i've never heard a woodied sr225, i would fathom to guess that an upgraded source would do more for you sonically than the wood housing would. it definitely did for me when i went from a portable cd player to a dedicated home cd/sacd player.

Jan 16, 2005 at 1:27 AM Post #6 of 10
I'd buy a nicer cd player. I don't see how woodying the sr225 can bring it up to rs-1 performance considering the fact they use completely different drivers. If I really wanted RS-1s I'd just save up for them. (I've had the chance to listen to both. I ended up buying the RS-1s)

Jan 16, 2005 at 1:52 AM Post #7 of 10
Don't forget the woodied Grado does come with a cable upgrade also. Is the cable a large improvement, who knows - I'm sure I will find out sooner or later. Also, from what I remember the woodies compared quite well to the RS1 at some of the past meets. I have already forgot about paying for the 225 so another $250 to improve XX% is an easy option since I am sticking with Grado.

My thinking on the matter:

The 521BEE is 90% of the 542 - at least that is what they lead you to believe on their webpage. Won't know until I try each.

The 225 is XX% of the Woodie. Won't really know until I try each.

Jan 16, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by krafty
Don't forget the woodied Grado does come with a cable upgrade also. Is the cable a large improvement, who knows - I'm sure I will find out sooner or later.

Headphile's site states, from the Grado mods page: "As far as sound goes, the cable is where the most improvement is realized, but I don't doubt the woodies help too. The same soft sleeving is used and configuration as Senn V2 cables, only wired direct to the drivers. If you like Grado's, this is a worthwhile tweak to extend the bass, buttery mids, clean up the highs and improve your cans overall."

Hope the above information is helpful.

Jan 16, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #9 of 10
If you’re looking for a pair of headphones that are comparable to the RS-1’s why not just buy the RS-1’s?

If you’re diligent and willing to spend some time looking the RS-1’s can be had for about $450 used in excellent condition. I got a pair for $390 once and they were perfect.

It just seems odd to spend as much as a nice pair of used RS-1’s cost on some woodied SR-225s that’s “supposed to put them in RS-1 territory” when you can actually get the RS-1’s.

“this is a worthwhile tweak to extend the bass, buttery mids, clean up the highs and improve your cans overall."

My response to the advertising hype is “Flat Pads $30” they will extend the bass, buttery mids, clean up the highs and improve your cans overall. Plus if you don’t like them you can put the old pads back on.

An upgraded source will improve your entire system not just your headphone rig.

Mitch

Jan 16, 2005 at 4:40 PM Post #10 of 10
I have pretty much decided to go with the better source. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be satisfied with the 521BEE knowing the 542 is out there - same for the Woodie, knowing the RS1 is out there.

Thanks for your opinions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back