Wooden Portable Amp (by EnO)
Apr 20, 2007 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

EnOYiN

Headphoneus Supremus
So, here is the result of something I posted before here.

PC1.png

Hope you all like it. It has a connection for an adapter on the back and it's standing on small parts of felt.

I still have a question about something some of you might know. I am planning on building in some kind of power supply instead of a battery. And ideas on how to do this? Some reactions on this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edit: I still need someone to make a nicer picture than what I took just now. A good picture should do it some more justice than this.

Apr 21, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #3 of 14
Or, have them on the underside, recessed a little.

Apr 21, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or, have them on the underside, recessed a little.

They are on the underside as well, but the are covered by felt there so you won't notice.

I have been thinking about some other screws, but I have been having some trouble finding the right ones. And an other problem is that these fit exactly. They are going right through the board and keep it in place as well.

And BTW I am looking at it right now and it's not all that ugly. Ugly, sure, but not that ugly.
biggrin.gif

Apr 21, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #5 of 14
Or an idea, make the top a slide cover, so there are no bolts on the top.

Put a drop of Silicone on each side near the end of the track so that it stays shut without the need for anything. Makes it easy access for the batteries and opamp swapping too!

Apr 21, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #7 of 14
I like it, the WOODY CORDA. I have the tools to build one but never the time.

I think recessed stainless steel Allen head screws would look nice, brass might look even better if they can be found.

Apr 22, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or an idea, make the top a slide cover, so there are no bolts on the top.

Put a drop of Silicone on each side near the end of the track so that it stays shut without the need for anything. Makes it easy access for the batteries and opamp swapping too!

That's a pretty good idea indeed. I am going to see if I can make something like that. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice little wooden box you have there. I bet it sounds good too!

It sounds even better than the regular PC.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like it, the WOODY CORDA. I have the tools to build one but never the time.

I think recessed stainless steel Allen head screws would look nice, brass might look even better if they can be found.

I don't have the time for this either. That's why it took me way too long to build it. If you've got a vacation I bet you can make it within 2 days. Varnishing aside that is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by velogreg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
or perhaps recessed flathead screws with MOP caps.

Please elaborate. English is not my native tongue so I have no idea what kind of screws you mean here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
great work. i'm sure you'll get even more weird looks from people on the bus, for having your headphones plugged into a little block of wood.
tongue.gif

I already get weird looks because I am gorgeous.
tongue.gif
BTW It's easier to explain someone you bought a little box of wood for $250 than it is to explain someone you bought a cheap looking plastic thing for the same price.

Apr 22, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about using wooden dowels and have them fit tightly so the pressure keeps both sides together.

I am looking at some wooden plugs right now. That will be a lot of work to make those fit well. And I can't find anything the same color as the amp itself.

The disadvantage of wooden plugs is that it will be harder to open the amp and close it again without wearing the plugs pretty fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back