Wood types in headphones
Jan 10, 2004 at 11:35 PM Post #16 of 31
--real wood, is full of voids and imperfections. these voids result in resonance. MDF on the other hand, is denser and more consistent. i wouldn't call MDF wood. just as i wouldn't call paper wood.

"It is worth noting, though, that most quality speakers use real wood veneers on the outside of the enclosure, so I guess that introduces "resonances" to the otherwise sonically "perfect" MDF"

--a millimeter thick of veneer on the outside of the cabinet isn't going to effect the sound in any vast way.

"The headphone enclosure is the "room" in which the sound takes place, there is space behind/around the driver, much like there is space behind above and around the speaker in a room"

--the same can be said for a loudspeaker. it just has two "rooms" to deal with.

Jan 10, 2004 at 11:44 PM Post #17 of 31
The wood in the R10s and the ATs is very hollowed-out, in most places not much thicker than veneer on speakers.

Jan 11, 2004 at 6:58 AM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Spent&Bent
hmmm its name sounds so russian, not like japanese word at all....

Japanese name is keyaki. It is common tree and is used for many household product like tables and chairs, but I never saw it on musical instrument.

Asadazakura is a kind of cherry wood, I remember reading on A-T homepage that it has been chosen because ti's hard and dense, yet easy to be sculpted.

Jan 11, 2004 at 7:24 AM Post #19 of 31
As far as speakers are concerned, most makers use MDF and internal cabinet bracing to eliminate resonances. On the other hand, some Italian makers use solid woods, and use the enclosure as part of the design to color the sound. Sonus Faber and Diapison come immediately to mind here. Cain and Cain may also play in this league.

As far as headphones, both the R-10 and W2002 use their enclosures to color the sound. They chose specific woods and varnishes to achieve their goals. At least that is what they say. From owning both I would tell you that it seems that you can hear the space in the enclosure resonating just the slightest bit. But maybe that is just my imagination.

Jan 11, 2004 at 7:33 AM Post #20 of 31
amokey,
you are absolutely right. in the case of the W1000's, i can hear its unique wood characteristic come through when listening to certain songs...echoing slightly. but on some occasions it is a good color, especially for classical. it's just that, compared to a phone like the HD650, the W1000 has too much color for my taste whereas the HD650's sound is completely a cleaner/faster representation without anything in the way of the sound...hense, the open design
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2004 at 10:42 AM Post #21 of 31
Dear fellows, thanks for your infos.

Anyway, could someone again explain to me what is MDF exactly? Does it mean an artificial made product that sounds like wood? Could you provide me with some links about that?
wink.gif

Another question:

Alder, ash, basswood, redwood, mahogany, maple, etc. are among wood types which have been widely used for guitarbuilding. Do you agree that if these different types are used for headphones chambers it would ALSO create different sound (color, bass, midrange, treble, sustain) of the sound, depending on wood properties such as weight, grain (figure) and texture???

Say e.g. RS-1 with Mahogany chambers (warm and full, fat sound) sound vs. RS-1 with Ash (bright, little creamy, long sustain) chambers or RS-1 with Maple (bright, high treble, long sustain) chambers or even the combinations of wood types, e.g. Mahogany plus Maple etc...
wink.gif

Jan 11, 2004 at 12:04 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Spent&Bent
hmmm its name sounds so russian, funny....

It is from Russian zel'kova in turn from the Georgian dzelkva. Better known as the Japanese elm. It is famous for being resistant to Dutch Elm disease.

Jan 11, 2004 at 6:06 PM Post #23 of 31
MDF is short for Medium Density Fibreboard. It is a composite material made up of small pieces of wood and glues and resins. Exact formula differ based on the final use and properties desired. Here is a link

http://www.childrensfurniture.co.uk/mdf.html

(I like this link because of the health issues discussed.)

As far as the Grados. I'm not certain, never having heard those specific models, but it would seem to me that since they appear to be open designs, rather than enclosed designs like the W2002, and R-10 that the wood used wouldn't have the same influence on the sound. It would be like those new techno violins without a body, with just the frame made out of wood, and an old fashioned hollow body violin. But what do I know?

Jan 12, 2004 at 5:56 PM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
“After extensive testing of materials from all over the world, the heart-wood of mature Zelkova trees was selected as most suitable for the housing of the MDR-R1O

They manufactured housings from every type of wood and tested all of them? I doubt it. Or did they just choose a "rare" form of wood so they could justify the asking price of the headphones? Good old North American pine might actually sound the best, but it looks so bland in the press kit!

Jan 14, 2004 at 3:14 PM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by smokey
MDF is short for Medium Density Fibreboard. It is a composite material made up of small pieces of wood and glues and resins. Exact formula differ based on the final use and properties desired. Here is a link

http://www.childrensfurniture.co.uk/mdf.html

(I like this link because of the health issues discussed.)

Thanks for the info.
wink.gif

Quote:

As far as the Grados. I'm not certain, never having heard those specific models,

No, those specific Grados don't exist, I am just curious about how different sound you might hear when auditioning several wooden cans of the same design (e.g. RS-1), but with different types of wood. .
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif

Quote:

but it would seem to me that since they appear to be open designs, rather than enclosed designs like the W2002, and R-10 that the wood used wouldn't have the same influence on the sound. It would be like those new techno violins without a body, with just the frame made out of wood, and an old fashioned hollow body violin. But what do I know?

I agree.

Jan 14, 2004 at 4:08 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Permonic
Alder, ash, basswood, redwood, mahogany, maple, etc. are among wood types which have been widely used for guitarbuilding. Do you agree that if these different types are used for headphones chambers it would ALSO create different sound (color, bass, midrange, treble, sustain) of the sound, depending on wood properties such as weight, grain (figure) and texture???

Say e.g. RS-1 with Mahogany chambers (warm and full, fat sound) sound vs. RS-1 with Ash (bright, little creamy, long sustain) chambers or RS-1 with Maple (bright, high treble, long sustain) chambers or even the combinations of wood types, e.g. Mahogany plus Maple etc...
wink.gif

Permonic,

Using different tone woods is a very interesting idea! I am absolutely convinced that the choice of material and its resonance behaviour will always influence the sound of a speaker or a headphone, just as it influences the sound of musical instruments - or of component feet. And each kind of tone wood has specific sonic (and resonance) properties, no doubt about that. Using a metal frame for a heapdhone's driver isn't necessarily superior to using a wooden frame. And it seems to me that there is a reason musical instruments aren't made from MDF. Tone woods sound better.

Jan 15, 2004 at 8:20 PM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by Tomcat
Permonic,

Using different tone woods is a very interesting idea! I am absolutely convinced that the choice of material and its resonance behaviour will always influence the sound of a speaker or a headphone, just as it influences the sound of musical instruments - or of component feet. And each kind of tone wood has specific sonic (and resonance) properties, no doubt about that. Using a metal frame for a heapdhone's driver isn't necessarily superior to using a wooden frame. And it seems to me that there is a reason musical instruments aren't made from MDF. Tone woods sound better.

Agree. Even more I think that the combination of different tone woods would optimize the balance of particular headphones: for instance Grado RS-1 with chambers consisting of Mahogany and Maple might remove kinda warm sound produced by Mahogany.

Jan 10, 2024 at 2:40 AM Post #30 of 31
Thread revived at almost it's 20th year anniversary. So close! 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back