Woo3 Modified
Jun 18, 2005 at 12:47 PM Post #136 of 249
I am not sure if you meant to post an image. I am not up on the differences between the Siemens but if you posted on Audio Asylum in the Tube section there might be someone there that could help you out if there is no response here. I would link to the picture and not the sale or you might have someone that you asked the question of bidding against you.

John

Jun 20, 2005 at 10:49 PM Post #138 of 249
Everyone's taste is different. I like the Western Electric 421A but overall I prefer the clean tight sound of the 7236 Tungsol (though they are hard to find).

John

Jul 2, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #139 of 249
jamato8,

what would be an appropriate reading for a WE 421A on a tv-7/du?

i know the minimum is 40, but do i use the same rule of thumb as calculating GM for 6SN7s and take that figure to be 50% (ie a reading of 80 indicates 100%)?

Jul 2, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #140 of 249
That sounds about right to me. The two halves should also be very close together in measurement as new 421A's were normally very, very well matched.

John

Jul 2, 2005 at 3:18 AM Post #141 of 249
hmmm - that's weird. almost all the 421As i've come across thus far measure around 60.
confused.gif

btw - what brand would you recommend for the 7236? so far i've only come across sylvania.
wink.gif

Jul 2, 2005 at 3:47 AM Post #142 of 249
I would go with the average of the readings to determine what the TV7 should read. That is what I do with tubes that have no data available.

I like the Tungsol 7236. It is very clean, solid bass and transparent.

John

Jul 2, 2005 at 8:42 AM Post #143 of 249
John,

Just wondering - which TS 5998 are you using?

1. bottom getter
2. top getter
3. top and side/bottom getter 1970s

Jul 2, 2005 at 12:43 PM Post #144 of 249
All I am using is the 7236. I have many of the other types but I never developed a lasting opinion of them. Either the 421A or the 7236 is my choice with the 7236 Tungsol being the tube I use most of the time.

John

Jul 9, 2005 at 5:19 PM Post #145 of 249
It has been some time since I have modified the Woo3 and I thought a few words on what I am hearing might be of interest, or not.

The sound has continued to open up with the soundstage becoming larger and the feeling of air and bloom becoming more apparent. There is a startling since of attack with a lingering and decay of the musical note that has become more evident. Layering has also increased with a nice since of blackness between notes. There is none of the overripe warmness that some tube equipment possesses. I would say that the Woo3 in my current incarnation has the life like quality that people who enjoy tubes strive for but with what is often perceived as solid state in the attack and bass control. As far as the staging with this amp I find it gives some distance between you and, say the lead vocalist. Rather than being in your face you get the feeling that you are in about row 7. I enjoy this as it leads to a greater enjoyment of the music when the lead instrument or singer (an instrument also) is not sitting on my lap.

I have used the Black Gate nonpolar in the Super E configuration for the output caps, which requires two nonpolar per output. The Solen Fast Cap bypassed with .1 polypropylene (important since I do not like Solens unbypassed) enhances the power supply. Clean power is the most important element if anything else is going to come near its potential i.e.: tubes. This requires a good power transformer, which the Woo3 appears to have and from there it is all up to the rectification (changed to a very high quality bridge rectifier), purification and unfettered delivery of clean power. With clean power and a signal path that is short and to the point the Woo 3 Modified clearly delivers the musical goods.

The tubes used are the Tung-Sol 7236 and Amperex Holland 6DJ8 PQ.
Headphones: HD650
Source: The Elaborate Dac with a very modified 563A as a transport.

John

Jul 9, 2005 at 7:14 PM Post #146 of 249
Thanks for the update on how your Woo is sounding, John. I haven't done any internal mods to my Woo like you have, but after playing around with different interconnects and Senn cables I'm hearing many of the same wonderful sound qualities out of my Woo that you describe hearing out of yours, and I've even got my Woo pumping out a whole bunch more bass than it did before. My favorite tube trio up to this point is two early 70's Sylvania 6DJ8's and a Tung Sol 5998.

Dec 22, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #148 of 249
The Woo3 is one of the amps I am considering buying in the new year. I am wondering whether some of the mods you have done along the way could be requested directly from WooAudio with the purchase.

I would be particularly interested in some of the tweaks that would not add much to the base price. Is this something that would be possible? Has anyone but a custom order to Woo?

Dec 22, 2005 at 11:02 PM Post #149 of 249
Quote:

Originally Posted by redrich2000
The Woo3 is one of the amps I am considering buying in the new year. I am wondering whether some of the mods you have done along the way could be requested directly from WooAudio with the purchase.

I would be particularly interested in some of the tweaks that would not add much to the base price. Is this something that would be possible? Has anyone but a custom order to Woo?

Woo doesn't like to do mods - apparently they feel their amp sounds pretty good just the way it is. When I ordered mine I requested - ala jamato8 - that they delete the DC blocking cap that was at that time standard equipment, and after building my amp without the cap and then listening to it's sound Woo concluded that the amp sounded better without the cap, so now none of the WA 3's that they build these days has the blocking cap. I also requested that my amp be built with the preamp function and circuitry deleted, and when Woo built my amp without the preamp circuitry they automatically paralleled the input tubes for me.
Those are the only mods that I'm aware of that Woo will do to the WA 3. If I were you I would instead spend your tweak money on good NOS tubes, because although tweaks and mods are certainly worth doing to the Woo, tube rolling affects the sound quality of the Woo far more than tweaks and mods do.

Dec 22, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #150 of 249
KZEE said:
I also requested that my amp be built with the preamp function and circuitry deleted, and when Woo built my amp without the preamp circuitry they automatically paralleled the input tubes for me./QUOTE]

Thanks, perfect answer!

Did they charge any extra for deleting the preamp function? I don't really need a preamp out either so might request that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back