Woo3 Hum
Aug 7, 2017 at 5:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Capt. Z

500+ Head-Fier
Hi folks;

Haven't been on here for a while and haven't used my Woo 3 too often lately.

Since today there is a hum, that does not get louder or quieter with the volume setting.

Changed all the tubes, unplugged the input, but hum is still there.

Just wondering if the caps in the PSU are going bad (after more then 10 years or more) and may need replacing. If they need replacing, are there any recommendations of what cap?

Thanks

Aug 7, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #2 of 4
I would first disconnect your cable(s) from the input of the amp. This will rule out everything on the input side, most of the time a humming sound is probably dirty power, a bad ground connection, or even florescent lighting. Try a ground lift adapter. It's adapter attaches to the end of your amp’s power cable and will essentially remove the center (ground) pin, that has helped for me. If your amp is still humming it’s coming from the amp itself, hope that does some good..enjoy

Aug 8, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #3 of 4
Hi folks;

Haven't been on here for a while and haven't used my Woo 3 too often lately.

Since today there is a hum, that does not get louder or quieter with the volume setting.

Changed all the tubes, unplugged the input, but hum is still there.

Just wondering if the caps in the PSU are going bad (after more then 10 years or more) and may need replacing. If they need replacing, are there any recommendations of what cap?

Thanks

Off topic, but welcome back :D

Aug 8, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #4 of 4
Hi back to you guys as well.

As written above, I disconnected the input cable, but hum remained.

Was planning to lift the ground today on the mains cable, so I turned on the amp (before lifting the ground) and no hum. Now after an hour later still no hum.

So my thought is that there may is a bad solder join that should (but does not have to) cause issues once the amp warms up.

If I remember correct the hum yesterday was no present on first turn on, but came after the warm up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back