Woo Audio WA7TP (tube power supply) Impressions Thread
Jan 24, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #511 of 1,118
  Hi gents,

Its really nice to see this community rolling. Its nice to be a  part of it and WA7's are amazingly looking and sounding unit (let us forget The Knob ), however I have  An itch for fully balanced setup.
WA22 + M-DAC +  hd800   on 3-pins xlr all the way out.   I already have   M-DAC sitting in a living room and there is a tempting  proposition for  WA22 in a classfields. Please stop me, while its     not...  too late...

that'll be a very nice setup. i'm all for it! 
very_evil_smiley.gif

FWIW, i've had fully balanced setups a few different times and somehow always go back to SE...don't know why, just happens that way. good luck!

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #512 of 1,118
  don't really need it, but thinking about jumping on the massdrop buy for the wa7...still undecided on the wa7tp, though i'm sure i'll end up getting it. someone please tell me a reason NOT to get the wa7tp...anyone?

You can purchase WA7tp at a later date.  The cost is $649 + shipping.

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #513 of 1,118
  Hi gents,

Its really nice to see this community rolling. Its nice to be a  part of it and WA7's are amazingly looking and sounding unit (let us forget The Knob ), however I have  An itch for fully balanced setup.
WA22 + M-DAC +  hd800   on 3-pins xlr all the way out.   I already have   M-DAC sitting in a living room and there is a tempting  proposition for  WA22 in a classfields. Please stop me, while its     not...  too late...

Consider our WDS-1 reference DAC.  It doesn't have all the bells and whistles as other DACs on the market, but if it's the sound you're after, WDS-1 will not disappoint.

Jan 24, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #514 of 1,118
Can you tell us what dac chip the wds-1 uses & is it the same dac used today as when it was released.  How about some pics of it's innards, I can't find any thanks..

Jan 25, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #516 of 1,118
Wow, I'll double that. Tell us why it came out so sweet and what philosophy/board logic is behind it.
M-DAC is pretty damn sweet to my ears, its just not powerful enough (tad lil' bit) to drive hd800.

Jan 25, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #517 of 1,118
We can talk DAC chips all day and name drop parts brands, but at the end of the day it's the final result that matters - the music.  I urge you to give WDS-1 a try.  We don't make products with fancy parts to catch eyeballs.  We design and build solid, tried and true, no gimmicks, timeless products.  

Jan 25, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #518 of 1,118
that may be true but most equipment fanatics like to know what makes a product great on the inside.  at the end of the day most of us are geeks and enjoy the blinky lights.  i'd love to see internal shots of Woo products, especially the WA7+tp as those are what I have.   

Jan 25, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #519 of 1,118
  that may be true but most equipment fanatics like to know what makes a product great on the inside.  at the end of the day most of us are geeks and enjoy the blinky lights.  i'd love to see internal shots of Woo products, especially the WA7+tp as those are what I have.   

We designed a custom screw head and tool for WA7 so people can't open it.  We're chiefs with a secret recipe.  
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #520 of 1,118

We designed a custom screw head and tool for WA7 so people can't open it.  We're chiefs with a secret recipe.  
biggrin.gif

inside the WA7 is a smaller WA7.  Inside that one a smaller one.   Then a smaller one.   Then a smaller one.  And a smaller one. 

In all seriousness though, the WDS-1 is one of only a couple of DACs I could imagine wanting to share desk-space with my WA7 + WA7tp.    However, I always thought it would be cool if Woo released a standalone upgraded (tube) DAC in the same style case as the WA7.  Imagine three of these units lined up on a desk.

Maybe one day......

Jan 25, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #521 of 1,118

inside the WA7 is a smaller WA7.  Inside that one a smaller one.   Then a smaller one.   Then a smaller one.  And a smaller one. 

It's WA7's all the way down! lol

Jan 25, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #524 of 1,118
Hey everyone, I've been eyeballing this for setup for quite a while and with the Massdrop currently going on, I decided to join the fun.  Aside from the Mullards and Sylvania's, does anyone have any recommendations for other tubes to try from upscaleaudio?  I've already got the Mullards in my cart but I really hate to pay for shipping since I'm so close to free shipping.  My current cans are LCD-2 rev1, LCD-3f, TH-900, K7XX, HE-500 and hoping to add the HD800's down the road.  I typically enjoy more of a warm/dark sound but I'm open to trying different sound signatures.  Since I'm new to tubes any help would be appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back