Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Sep 24, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #2,356 of 4,852
Thanks guys, going to sit on it and continue research. Seems very trial and error and actually stock tubes aren't so bad. Doesn't feel like I'm there beside the music, but could be many other things. Even the whole headphone cable thing makes me wonder if it's worth it. Get a $400 cable for 5% improvement?

Can you guys describe the differences with the stock tubes? Do you still have them to listen to and compare now while it's fresh in your mind?

A lot to ask I know! Kurt Vile, Blonde Redhead, Tame Impala, etc. Is my kind of music (indie primarily)

Cheers mates and thanks again!

Shawn

I bought a Cardas cable because i wanted it to be shorter and at the same time was thinking maybe ill get an improvement but i couldnt here a difference but some say they do with there cables. Buy tubes instead

Sep 26, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #2,357 of 4,852
Bought WA6-SE yesterday. Last night was a night that i prefer this amp than half full clothed girlfriend.
Today, im going to hunt some tubes from local guys in here, woooohooooo! He sell his 6EM7 to me, any advice for the rectifier to match it? Cheers!

Sep 26, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #2,358 of 4,852
Bought WA6-SE yesterday. Last night was a night that i prefer this amp than half full clothed girlfriend.
Today, im going to hunt some tubes from local guys in here, woooohooooo! He sell his 6EM7 to me, any advice for the rectifier to match it? Cheers!

596 is a good match
The Brimar is also good, though I didn't like it as much.

Never found any other rectifiers that paired well with the 6EM7. Found a lot of bad matches though.....

Sep 27, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #2,359 of 4,852

I ended up still bought the 6EM7, no other type than that. Also, i bought 2 of rectifiers, and he gave me 3 more rectifiers for bonus.
*sort of this guy way for welcoming me into this wonderful world of sounds world and drowning into deep ocean bank account because need to hiding it from wife/girlfriend*   
Anyway, beside that pair of 6EM7, this is what i get:
Brimar 5Z4G
Sovtex 5U4G
Heintz & Kaufman 5R4GY
RCA 5R4GY JAN
Sylvania 5U4GB

First try of this week is still 6EM7 + Brimar 5Z4G, sound impression from HD650:
The power! Last night the volume knob was around 11-12, now i can't even more than 10. Cannot hold on my excitement, with this power i should go to the party! On EDM or HipHop, The Bass is BooM! the "dub" or the "twooombb" separated nicely. Tight, fast, deep and yet the treble still clearly maintain there. hip and head moving following the bass beat, while snapping my finger according into the hi-hat or snare of the drums. Until... the mid or vocal sound so warm, make not to engaging. It feels like when i get high, so into the songs, the pitch getting higher and higher until the peak with a bit phrase coming in and then drop the beat, i feels like missing something on it. Swedish House Mafia - Save the world, the vocalist sound like he sing it on his room not on the stage. People will smirking on me like i took weed on wrong party pumping occasion. My hands in the air is late.. oh crap, did i just miss something?

Time to sip my double black never tired of walking Mr. Johnny.
Tired from party scene moving on to chill out corner, i tried on slower beat music like RnB and Hed Kandi. Let me tell you, i spend 2 hours maybe more. Environment change to chill out bar kind of place and wouldn't mind to order another bottle of whisky, the expensive type for sure. Because i need the smoothness, yes.. smooth. Made me close my eye on the soft leather comfy sofa, nodding head and tip toeing. This chilling out session with hed kandi just went so perfect. Oh, here she comes, came special guest star on the bar. The mid on vocal, unbelievable, the warmness of the sound is so sweet. Rita Ora singing in front of me and she promise never let me down, she is badly falling in love with me. Like want to propose to marry someone, saying it truly out from the bottom of your heart (in this case she sing the song) and everything go smoothly without mistake. That kind of sweet. Never happen to me though..at least that what i see on tv or movie. Crap, i just remember something.. How about POP! King Of Pop, MJ and JT, Love Never Felt so Good. That song reflect this WA6-SE and this tubes mix. High, the treble is awesome! the clap, hi-hat, cymbals, percussion have very clear separation. Without anything roll of, combination left and right sound of the instrument and the depth of it. Low, The bass, well it's nice as i mention above. The Mid!! Ugh.. Gorgeous! Beside the lovely voice from both of them, the piano, the guitar, the violin, i can hear clearly. The vocal is sure forward, but the warmness melt my heart.. its ok, i forgive you darling..

Speaking of which, what about instrument song.. Snarky Puppy, a modern jazzy fusion group band. Containing with a lot of instruments and band members there, personal opinion, please listen to them even tho just 2-3 songs. It's SEXY! The soundstage is wide sort of becoming 3D. The depth is crazy, the sounds of trumpets about in front of me and the trombone on my side. The piano, the synth, or keyboard around my back. The drum and percussion way back more behind them, and still crystal clear. Not to mention their violins and cellos. Ok, now im in the middle of this band performing just for me. Not in chill out bar anymore, the pace getting faster.

hmmm...satisfied of getting laid back, time to rock out.
Everything is good, the high and the low is good.. the mid is just ok... so warm.. i feel like standing in the crowd, rock concert, but the vocal is coming from love songs evergreen type. I do not feel some energetic and excitement. Knights of Cydonia from Muse, Matt Bellamy sing like he after sore throat, scared to take high pitch or scream. It feels like we going backwards from Tame Impala, man... too high too perform.. suppose to be fine because the type of their music suitable when people high or at least me. but this sound different, the character like missing. The sound is still full, rounded but lost of the crispiness, lack of distortion.

Time to go home..
well i think im my opinion, this is 6EM7 problem, its so warm!
Lovely with some chill out, laidback type of music. but not fun. Maybe this is what alot people mention before.
More, i heard it from HD650 with its character. i dont know how is the sound when using bright headphone, like T90. Is it gonna be nice match or not? i dont know.. i sold it because too bright for me and hurting my ears, now, i tempted to try with WA6-SE + the tubes

Dying to get 6SN7, a lot people praising them tho..

Sorry for long writing and excitements with this crap ears. Well, see you in next private concert!

Cheers.

Oct 1, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #2,361 of 4,852
Fireworks!

My EML 5U4G started sparking on turn-on today after ~5 years of service
frown.gif

Amp is an older WA6 with PDPS and a couple cap upgrades.

Can I assume that I should toss the tube immediately?

Thank You!

Oct 1, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #2,362 of 4,852
Oct 3, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #2,365 of 4,852
Hello everyone...
Recently I arrived my tube 596 ... I'm loving it!
I'm trying with several tubes drivers (6EM7 / 6GL7, 6FD7, 6DR7, 6CY7 and 6EW7) ... so far, the best combinations were "596 + 6EM7 / 6GL7 ..." and "596 + 6FD7" ...
With Princess Sophie, the tube 6EM7 did not seem a good tube ... but with the rectifier 596, is practically totally different ... much improved. Please, I would like to hear from anyone who has tested some of these combinations ...
I am testing several tubes ... and I'm afraid to be confusing the details of the sound ...
With the tube 596, the tube 6EM7 won more balance, more dynamic and more detail ... yet still bothers me a little of "gain" in volume ... with a little ear fatigue (but with much improvement over Sophie Princess).
Already 6FD7, it is also excellent, with the sound more relaxed and balanced ... only with a little less detail than the 6EM7 ... Someone who has experienced, agree?
I am using headphones LCD-3F Audeze
In your opinion, what is the best combination, "596 + 6EM7 / 6GL7 ..." and "596 + 6FD7"?
Thank you all...

Oct 3, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #2,366 of 4,852
Hello everyone...Recently I arrived my tube 596 ... I'm loving it!I'm trying with several tubes drivers (6EM7 / 6GL7, 6FD7, 6DR7, 6CY7 and 6EW7) ... so far, the best combinations were "596 + 6EM7 / 6GL7 ..." and "596 + 6FD7" ...With Princess Sophie, the tube 6EM7 did not seem a good tube ... but with the rectifier 596, is practically totally different ... much improved. Please, I would like to hear from anyone who has tested some of these combinations ...I am testing several tubes ... and I'm afraid to be confusing the details of the sound ...With the tube 596, the tube 6EM7 won more balance, more dynamic and more detail ... yet still bothers me a little of "gain" in volume ... with a little ear fatigue (but with much improvement over Sophie Princess).Already 6FD7, it is also excellent, with the sound more relaxed and balanced ... only with a little less detail than the 6EM7 ... Someone who has experienced, agree?I am using headphones LCD-3F AudezeIn your opinion, what is the best combination, "596 + 6EM7 / 6GL7 ..." and "596 + 6FD7"?Thank you all...

My preferred combinations are the same as yours with the LCD3F. With the 596, I like the 6FD7 a bit more than the 6GL7, finding the FD is less harsh than the GL. Also agree that the 6GL7 is a bad match with the Sophia Princess.

Others have expressed similar opinions, so you're definitely in the majority with your preferences.

Nov 5, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #2,369 of 4,852

Ok guys.. 
found some interesting article,
http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/shuguang_treasures_cv181_e.html

and does anybody differentiate those tube above with 6F8G/VT99?

wonder if they fit in a wa6

This is with a big  Sophia Princess rectifier  not much room but it works                                                                                                                                                                                                                

Users who are viewing this thread

Back