Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Sep 7, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #2,341 of 4,852
I'm going to buy the WA6SE soon along with some Audeze LCD-3s. Right now I'm planning on picking up the 5Z4G Brimars and going with the 6FD7 drive tubes. Does anyone have suggestions for any other tubes I should check out?

Sep 10, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #2,343 of 4,852
Hi guys, 

I am a happy WA7+ WA7tp owner and have been thinking about exploring some different options for my LCD-2Fs but don't want to leave the Woo family!  Just wondered if anyone has moved from the WA7+tp to the WA6-SE or even has gone the other way and what their impressions were? May be more of a sidewards move than an upgrade?

The WA22 also looks fantastic but it might be bit of a stretch for me even in stock form and the tube rolling options may well lead me to destitution sooner than I'd like.  

The WA6 looks the perfect tube rollers amp since it uses some of those same wonderful tubes but would be much cheaper to reach full potential as well as have some back-up tubes. However, I don't think it will be ideal for driving the LCD-2fs, so that's why i've been looking at the WA6-SE instead.  Is anybody using the WA6 or WA6-SE to good effect with the fazored LCD-2s, if so, what are your thoughts?  I don't find these LCD-2s to be particularly dark, mostly neutral sounding to my ears. 

Any words of wisdom would be great. Much appreciated!

Jeb

Sep 15, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #2,344 of 4,852
  Definitely check out USAF 596 and  6GL7.  Definitely my end game rectifier and driver for my Audezes LCD3f.

I just buy a tube 596 ... you should arrive within a few days ....
I have WA6SE+LCD3f...., with Sophie Princes .. 6EW7, 6FD7 ... 6EM7.
One can consider that the tube 6EM7 equals 6GL7?
Thank you

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #2,350 of 4,852
Hello All,

I'm a proud new owner of a WA6SE and purchased from authorized dealer in Toronto.

So far I am happy with my choice and using LCD 2.2f cans.

I definitely feel there is fogginess and instruments are blended in a lot together using the stock tubes.

I've ready many pages of this thread and it is VERY confusing all the tubes which can be selected.

I am thinking to purchase the Takasuki TA-274B from woo and just be done with it!

Also tube option 1 = 6GL7/6EM7 and tube option 2 = match 6FD7.

Does anyone have experience going to these tubes and can elaborate on the sound upgrade vs. stock?

Going to Takasuki sounds crazy to me for the price (can by another amp!), but willing to invest if sonically worth it.  I listen mostly to Rock, Indie, Pop and some classical.

Thanks,
Shawn

Sep 23, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #2,351 of 4,852
  Hello All,

I'm a proud new owner of a WA6SE and purchased from authorized dealer in Toronto.

I definitely feel there is fogginess and instruments are blended in a lot together using the stock tubes.

I've ready many pages of this thread and it is VERY confusing all the tubes which can be selected.

I am thinking to purchase the Takasuki TA-274B from woo and just be done with it!

Does anyone have experience going to these tubes and can elaborate on the sound upgrade vs. stock?

Going to Takasuki sounds crazy to me for the price (can by another amp!), but willing to invest if sonically worth it.  I listen mostly to Rock, Indie, Pop and some classical.

Thanks,
Shawn

Congratulations on your WA6SE.
As far as the "stock" tubes, yes there's a difference in sound quality with upgraded tubes, but it all depends on your personal preference. I've never heard the Takasuki (but many here have them in their WA5/LE and love them. I would personally buy a Brimar 5Z4G rectifier tube which is an excellent price/performance tube, or a NU-596 (adapter needed) which cost a bit more but is worth it in my opinion. I'm only saying this because if you buy the Takasuki and its not for your preference, them what??? As far as power/driver tubes the 6GL7/6EM7 IMO/IME are not an upgrade…they are very dark sounding too me. I would either go for some NOS 6SN7's/6F8G's (adapter needed for both of these tubes, or the 6FD7 (big bottles)which you can get from Woo Audio, otherwise they can be hard to find. The other power/driver tubes I mentioned I would buy from either a tube dealer or eBay. Hope this helps!

Sep 24, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #2,353 of 4,852
  Hello All,

Thanks,
Shawn

I totally agree with Joseph above. The Takasuki may well be a fantastic tube. I have never heard one. But it is extremely expensive. It may be better to try a NOS tube for a few dollars (comparatively speaking). The Brimar 5Z4G is an exceptional place to start. It is a well rounded tube, doing most things well. The 6SN7 with adapters in the 6FD7 spots could also sound fantastic for not a lot of money. Even if you're not on a budget, I think that would be the place to start. I just love my CBS 6SN7's. I recently bought some adapters and put in my CBS's and I think think this amp sounds fantastic with the Brimar 5Z4G. I had been using some TungSol 6F8G's with adapters, but decided I wanted to try something else. Figuring I had a rather large collection of 6SN7's, I bought the adapters, and I couldn't be happier. YMMV.

Sep 24, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #2,355 of 4,852
Thanks guys, going to sit on it and continue research. Seems very trial and error and actually stock tubes aren't so bad. Doesn't feel like I'm there beside the music, but could be many other things. Even the whole headphone cable thing makes me wonder if it's worth it. Get a $400 cable for 5% improvement?

Can you guys describe the differences with the stock tubes? Do you still have them to listen to and compare now while it's fresh in your mind?

A lot to ask I know! Kurt Vile, Blonde Redhead, Tame Impala, etc. Is my kind of music (indie primarily)

Cheers mates and thanks again!

Shawn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back