Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Dec 21, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #1,036 of 4,845
  Has anyone tried LCD-X?

I'm thinking about getting one (the phones) and need to know whether it plays well with WA6Se.

Referring to my own post about the LCD-X. Well I've just got the headphones and will post here for the record that, like Dubstep Girl said, the amp pairs beautifully with this headphones. Even with 0Hr on it, the headphones sounds wonderful (and already surpasses my veteran HD650 + SAA Equinox cable). FYI, here is my tube combination Rectifier: the Princess / Drive: Pinnacle 6DR7. I'm sure that with better rectifier like USAF 596 or GEC U52, the cans would even sound better!

If anyone also use this headphones with WA6Se, please share your tubes combination and type of music you usually listen to.

BTW, if anyone knows where I can find some USAF 596 tubes (tried eBay but no one sells it ATM), please let me know.

Dec 21, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #1,038 of 4,845
lol thanks.

the 596 was definitely my favorite tube with the WA6-SE especially with HD 650/LCD-2

i might be selling some 596 soon... unfortunately i won't ship overseas otherwise i'd sell to you 
frown.gif

Dec 21, 2013 at 2:35 PM Post #1,039 of 4,845
Hi,

Sorry to appear out of nowhere, but I have a Woo WA6-SE and am having some problems with my tubes. It's mainly the driver/output tubes. I have what the Woo website describes as the top of the line tubes for the amplifier along with the necessary pin adapters. Unfortunately, the tubes--though very good--have become microphonic and I hear a consistent, low-level crackling noise through my headphones (many, but mostly Fostex TH-900's) that is JUST loud enough that I can't really tolerate it. So I'm looking for recommendations on other tubes that will sound good but not become so microphonic that they start making a crackling or humming noise, even if I have to take the pin adapters out of the equation. I should mention that I used to use the Sophia Princess mesh plate rectifier tube, which is very pretty, but based on measurements doesn't really put out enough power to drive the amplifier properly. So I replaced it with an NOS Sylvania 5U4, which provides ample power and makes the amplifier sound richer.

Thanks very much,
Andy

Dec 21, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #1,040 of 4,845
  Hi,

Sorry to appear out of nowhere, but I have a Woo WA6-SE and am having some problems with my tubes. It's mainly the driver/output tubes. I have what the Woo website describes as the top of the line tubes for the amplifier along with the necessary pin adapters. Unfortunately, the tubes--though very good--have become microphonic and I hear a consistent, low-level crackling noise through my headphones (many, but mostly Fostex TH-900's) that is JUST loud enough that I can't really tolerate it. So I'm looking for recommendations on other tubes that will sound good but not become so microphonic that they start making a crackling or humming noise, even if I have to take the pin adapters out of the equation. I should mention that I used to use the Sophia Princess mesh plate rectifier tube, which is very pretty, but based on measurements doesn't really put out enough power to drive the amplifier properly. So I replaced it with an NOS Sylvania 5U4, which provides ample power and makes the amplifier sound richer.

Thanks very much,
Andy

Hi Andy,

So you have the problem with drive tubes or rectifier tube?

From what you described it looks like the problem is from the drive tubes and I believe those tubes are faulty and should be replaced under warranty. If you ordered them from Woo, just let them know and they'll replace your faulty tubes with good ones. Since you didn't say which tubes you use but you mentioned the adapters, I guess the tube is 6GL7? I also have those tubes from Woo and with my HD650 / MX985 and LCD-X, those tubes are dead silent with no hum or cracking sound whatsoever (BTW noise floor is surely higher due to the nature of high gain tubes). So I'm sure replacing them with a new set would fix this problem.

About the rectifier, I also use the Princess and now still use it. I'm not exactly sure what you mean about not having power to drive the amp properly, as, based on my experience with HD650 and LCD-X, I don't find that the amp (with the Princess) lacks any power to drive them at all. As you said your main headphones is TH900, (25Ohms, which is very close to LCD-X (22Ohms), I found that the amp, with the Princess, has plenty of power to drive my LCD-X out of the low impedance output, so I'm really surprised when you said the Princess didn't put out sufficient power to drive the amp.

If you want to find upgrade rectifier tubes, I suggest reading Dubstep Girl's terrific thread here http://www.head-fi.org/t/694525/dubstep-girls-massive-5ar4-5r4-5u4g-rectifier-review-comparison-rectifer-tube-rolling-thread

Dec 21, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #1,041 of 4,845
  Hi,

Thanks very much,
Andy

Sorry, I don't base my listening on measurements.  Does it do the job or not?

Love my Princess with Grados but use the 596 instead.

Herbie's tube dampers might help with the microphonics.  Are the 900s real efficient or what?

I like 6FD7s in the power/line stage.

Dec 22, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #1,043 of 4,845
  I am  goging to use some of the upgraded tubes soon in the WA 6SE and drop a RCA 5U4 G in there

be sure to try the mighty 596!! 

Dec 22, 2013 at 5:42 AM Post #1,045 of 4,845
Dec 25, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #1,049 of 4,845
I am using the WA6se with the HE-500. Could someone tell me of which input jack should i plug the hp in. Low or high?
Thanks.

My suggestion would be to use both jacks and then see which one you prefer the most.  I use the low for low impedance headphone shut many do prefer it the other way around. No right or wrong for them.

Dec 25, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #1,050 of 4,845
I am using the WA6se with the HE-500. Could someone tell me of which input jack should i plug the hp in. Low or high?
Thanks.

Though I don't have the HE500, based on its spec (38 Ohms), I believe you would get better sound out of the low impedance output jack.

I tried the LCD2, LCD3 and LCDX with both high and low impedance outputs and found that those cans sounded better out of the low impedance output. Since both HE series and LCD series are Planar, I think the result should be the same (shouldn't it?). BTW, I think the best way is to try both outputs and stick with the one that sounds best. There is no adverse effect to the headphones physically whether you use low or high outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back