Woo Audio WA6 vs Little Dot Mk VI
Nov 15, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #61 of 85
I am supposed to get my MKVI tomorrow, I can not wait . My headphone listening is going to another level. Also have a balanced CARY CD P-1 coming and Mr Harold ( audiogalore) is selling me a nice pair of XLR interconnects

Nov 15, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #62 of 85

Some notes on my new MKVI+ rig...

I recently embarked on a quest to upgrade my home rig.  From the Woo WA6 to the MKVI+.
As a part of this upgrade, I would be buying a balanced source - the Musical Fidelity M1 DAC - and nice XLR interconnects - the WireWorld Eclipse 6.

After now being nearly complete with this quest (I have not reterminated any headphones yet, so I'm not even fully balanced at this point), a strange phenomenon has occured that I will attempt to explain here...

When beginning these upgrades, I assumed that this new rig would reveal a clear and appreciable distance between my high-end headphones and my middle-tier headphones.  That, once I heard the T1 with this new rig, I would no longer be able to appreciate other cans like the K702.

Well...  the opposite has actually happened.
Rather than making my lesser headphones sound like "relative" garbage, every pair I own has improved so drastically and so multi-fold that I find myself rediscovering and enjoying all my headphones almost with equal fervor.
You see, this rig has been such as revelation that it has been virtually like starting the headphone hobby over from the beginning.

I will credit the Little Dot MKVI+ with dutifully performing its role in delivering the music from the source to the headphone with ease, control, and power...  The highest compliment I can give the MKVI+ is that it basically disappears.

I will also say that, besides the Little Dot, the most drastic improvement I have heard has been the WireWorld Eclipse 6 interconnects.  I now use them on my home rig and work rig.  And they have transformed me from a cable atheist into a stone-cold believer.  The differences are not subtle to my ears.  Not even a little bit.  The music has more life, more dimension, more oomph.  More everything.

But, since this is not a cable thread, I will get back on track talking about the MKVI+...
This amp is such an incredible bargain at less than $700 that I recommend it to anyone who is in the market for a tube amp under $1000.  So far, it does everything with aplomb.  Heck - it even drives most low impedance headhpones with ease -- Only the super sensitive Ultrasone Edition 8 hums at a level that approaches problematic.  Even my step-child K702 has never sounded better than when driven by this amazing OTL amp...  Gasp!

The rig:
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC >>  Wireworld Eclipse 6 XLRs >>  Little Dot MKVI+ (RCA black plate 6AS7G, RCA gray glass 6SN7GT)  >>  cans

That's all for now...  Back to listening to the music for me...

d-_-b             The Wuss

Nov 15, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #63 of 85
Grats on the rig. Glad you are having fun experiencing a renaissance with your headphone collection.

After hearing your new amp, doesn't it surprise you how this amp has virtually no popularity?

Nov 15, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #64 of 85
yes, it certainly does.
the word sleeper immediately comes to mind... 
wink.gif

oh, and i think Cesar - che15 - will update us soon...  i spoke with him earlier, and he received his MKVI today...
another Little Dot owner joins the ranks.

Nov 16, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #65 of 85
TheWuss, 

Thanks for your impressions. Your experience with the K702 also seems to confirm the reports from the 702 review in 6moons: that this headphone really benefits immensely from good amplification. 

How are the LCD-2s with the VI? They have pretty low impedence IIRC. 

And the 990s? There is a great deal on Amazon for them at present ($225 or so for 600 ohms and $190 or so for the 250 ohms). 

Nov 16, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #66 of 85
che15 and Wuss, make sure to check out the MKVI MKVIII SE thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/522099/little-dot-mk-vi-little-dot-mk-viii-se-owners-unite

It's small now, but perhaps it will build into something people will notice and they will buy some of these great amps.

Nov 16, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #67 of 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif

<snip>

The only negative is that it's Chinese instead of American made.

<snip>

If there is a problem with your Woo, you give Jack a call.  If it can't be solved over the phone you send it to NY, or for me, drive it over.

If you have to ship it, it's US shipping, with insurance and tracking and no customs.

If you live in China go get a little dot.  If you live outside the US this post may not concern you.

I have two dead Chinese amps and a dead Chinese dac.  I'll only buy North American now.

USG

Nov 16, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #68 of 85
Bad luck on your part, but I've owned my MKVI for almost 2 years without a serious problem. I had to replace the power switch (which was shipped free of charge after warranty had expired) about 6 months ago. I've owned my Chinese CD player for slightly longer, about 2 3/4 years and it works perfectly.

If the performance of the MKVI is truly only matched by the WA22, I'll take the risk at $700 versus $1900. I could buy almost 3 MKVIs for the price of a WA22.

Nov 16, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #69 of 85
As The Wuss has quoted, I will also say that, besides the Little Dot, the most drastic improvement I have heard has been the WireWorld Eclipse 6 interconnects.  I now use them on my home rig and work rig.  And they have transformed me from a cable atheist into a stone-cold believer.  The differences are not subtle to my ears.  Not even a little bit.  The music has more life, more dimension, more oomph.  More everything.

One of the most important consideration is not being cable depended and that is why WireWorld being neutral allows the source and amp to deliver what the source material was meant to sound like. No coloration and filtering and with a proper setup such as The Wuss is music to the ears!

The topology design of the Little Dot with a decent source does just that. Believe you me I have tried allot of different amps in my setup and this amp delivers with dimension of detail beyond most I've heard with my headphones at any price.

Enjoy music!

Nov 16, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #70 of 85

Quote:

Some notes on my new MKVI+ rig...

I recently embarked on a quest to upgrade my home rig.  From the Woo WA6 to the MKVI+.
As a part of this upgrade, I would be buying a balanced source - the Musical Fidelity M1 DAC - and nice XLR interconnects - the WireWorld Eclipse 6.

After now being nearly complete with this quest (I have not reterminated any headphones yet, so I'm not even fully balanced at this point), a strange phenomenon has occured that I will attempt to explain here...

When beginning these upgrades, I assumed that this new rig would reveal a clear and appreciable distance between my high-end headphones and my middle-tier headphones.  That, once I heard the T1 with this new rig, I would no longer be able to appreciate other cans like the K702.

Well...  the opposite has actually happened.
Rather than making my lesser headphones sound like "relative" garbage, every pair I own has improved so drastically and so multi-fold that I find myself rediscovering and enjoying all my headphones almost with equal fervor.
You see, this rig has been such as revelation that it has been virtually like starting the headphone hobby over from the beginning.

I will credit the Little Dot MKVI+ with dutifully performing its role in delivering the music from the source to the headphone with ease, control, and power...  The highest compliment I can give the MKVI+ is that it basically disappears.

I will also say that, besides the Little Dot, the most drastic improvement I have heard has been the WireWorld Eclipse 6 interconnects.  I now use them on my home rig and work rig.  And they have transformed me from a cable atheist into a stone-cold believer.  The differences are not subtle to my ears.  Not even a little bit.  The music has more life, more dimension, more oomph.  More everything.

But, since this is not a cable thread, I will get back on track talking about the MKVI+...
This amp is such an incredible bargain at less than $700 that I recommend it to anyone who is in the market for a tube amp under $1000.  So far, it does everything with aplomb.  Heck - it even drives most low impedance headhpones with ease -- Only the super sensitive Ultrasone Edition 8 hums at a level that approaches problematic.  Even my step-child K702 has never sounded better than when driven by this amazing OTL amp...  Gasp!

The rig:
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC >>  Wireworld Eclipse 6 XLRs >>  Little Dot MKVI+ (RCA black plate 6AS7G, RCA gray glass 6SN7GT)  >>  cans

That's all for now...  Back to listening to the music for me...

d-_-b             The Wuss

Cheers
beerchug.gif
to you on your new system.............Looks great!

Nov 19, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #72 of 85
This amp has really been under the radar because it has the name little dot stamped on it and not some other boutique brand like woo audio.. For this reason(and the fact it's only 700.00), I think a lot of people really don't take it seriously. If it wasn't for the fact I already own a balanced bijou, this would definitely be sitting on my desk. Who knows one day it still might.

Nov 19, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #73 of 85
I've listened to a Bijou and MKVI side by side. Very similar. I see no reason to have both.

Nov 19, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #75 of 85

Quote:
Bad luck on your part, but I've owned my MKVI for almost 2 years without a serious problem. I had to replace the power switch (which was shipped free of charge after warranty had expired) about 6 months ago. I've owned my Chinese CD player for slightly longer, about 2 3/4 years and it works perfectly.

If the performance of the MKVI is truly only matched by the WA22, I'll take the risk at $700 versus $1900. I could buy almost 3 MKVIs for the price of a WA22.

Okay most of you that been reading my threads now that I own both the Little Dot MK VI and the Woo WA-6SE. Both are fine product and deserve merit.

I would like to further comment that the mystery between the Woo WA22 and the Little Dot MK VI can now be discussed as to which is overall better performer.

I had the opportunity to evaluate both side by side with the same source material, source, cabling interconnects and headphones for the last few days.

The WA22 with the EML 5U4G/7236 upgrade does drive my K1000 however very high on the volume pot 2-3 o'clock position at low music transit such as Classical pieces.

The Little Dot MK VI with the 6AS7G/Tung-Sol 6LS7 Russian reissued drives the K1000 with authority and detail regardless of music selection with no strain at 11-12 o'clock position.

The Woo is smooth and silky through out the music passage were the Little Dot is definitely more dynamic and detailed with more information.

As far as the lo/hi impedance range, even with the Little Dot being OTL, again as I have previously mentioned in other threads it drove all my headphones from 25-600 ohms flawless.

Enjoy music!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back