Woo Audio WA22 as a preamp. Opinion wanted
Oct 1, 2010 at 10:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

nututubes

100+ Head-Fier
Hello.
As my screen name implies I am new to the world of tubes. I am a new member of this forum as well. I have no headphones yet, but from what I see on this forum, Sennheiser HD800 or Beyerdynamic T1 should be on my short list. 

Now, about the WA22 question; I have already exchanged a couple of emails with Jack, but never asked him this question; How will a WA22 perform as a preamp when using the balanced XLR outputs connected to my Rotel SS amp (RB1080) balanced XLR inputs. What I mean is this; I know that it will "work", but should I be concerned with the fact that the WA22 is a "headphone" amp? (whatever that means). I guess I'm getting hung up on definitions i.e. headphone amp vs. preamp/headphone amp .

My source is a Slim Devices (now Logitech) network music player called the Tranporter. It will deliver 96/24 music to the preamp via its balanced XLR outputs.

I am also looking at Ray Samuels balanced "Apache", which is a SS preamp/headphone amp. I think that I would like to get into tubes and tube rolling. by starting at the preamp level.

Thanks in advance for any of your opinions (signature included to give an idea of my current system)

John M
SqueezeCenter 7.3.4 running on a DIY PC, Windows 7 64 bit o.s., with Inguz Audio EQ/DRC. (1) Transporter, & (4) Booms connected through a Linksys WRT54gs router and Linksys WAP54g access point. Using an iPod Touch with iPeng for a controller. For Critical Listening =>Transporter => Rotel RC1070 preamp => Rotel RB1080 2 channel amp => Bowers & Wilkins 805 Speakers.

Oct 1, 2010 at 11:17 AM Post #4 of 23

Quote:
I think the OP is referring to the XLR headphone out and use it as preamp out.

Yes, exactly. In fact, Jack said he could add two more XLR outs on the back panel. Again, I'm not talking about physical connections, I'm wondering about its suitabilty as a balanced preamp to feed my Rotel power amp.  It' already well known as a top balanced headphone amp.

The discussion is about the "headphone" amp vs. "Pre/headphone" amp semantics.

Oct 1, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #5 of 23
I don't think anyone tried it yet.  As long as Jack said it is OK, than it must be OK.  You just need to try it yourself.

Using is as headphone amp, it is the best tube amp Ii ever heard.  I have not try all of the other top tier tube amps yet...

Oct 1, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #6 of 23

Quote:
I don't think anyone tried it yet.  As long as Jack said it is OK, than it must be OK.  You just need to try it yourself.

Using is as headphone amp, it is the best tube amp Ii ever heard.  I have not try all of the other top tier tube amps yet...

Thanks jc. I've been reading all posts about WA22, I've seen your posts also.
Thanks for responding.

Oct 1, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #8 of 23
Seamaster bought a custom WA22 from Jack, and it has a pre-amp section.  I'm so damn jealous of him, but I'm sure Jack would be able to modify mine one day for a decent fee.

I'm actually curious as to how well it would power a pair of speakers.  I'd assume you couldn't power anything with an impedance lower than 8ohms.

Oct 1, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #9 of 23

Quote:
Seamaster bought a custom WA22 from Jack, and it has a pre-amp section.  I'm so damn jealous of him, but I'm sure Jack would be able to modify mine one day for a decent fee.

I'm actually curious as to how well it would power a pair of speakers.  I'd assume you couldn't power anything with an impedance lower than 8ohms.

I saw that Seamaster had additional XLR outputs, Jack told me he would add them for me also. I assumed it was the "same" as the front XLR jacks. Are you saying that there is more to it than that. Once again I get hung up on those words...as you said "it has a preamp section"

Oct 1, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #11 of 23
Seamaster said that he uses his WA22 as a preamp too.

Here's a photo of his WA22:

And here's mine:

Look at this photo makes me realize how badly I need to upgrade those puny capacitors!

Oct 2, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #12 of 23
Thanks Audio Dude. I've seen Seamasters mods before and that's why I asked Jack what it would cost to add one set of XLR on the back. I have been assuming that the additional outputs are just that...and that no changes or additions were made to create a different "preamp" section. Once again I'm getting hung up on semantics. I see we are both MA residents! May I ask where?

Oct 2, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #13 of 23

Quote:
Seamaster said that he uses his WA22 as a preamp too.

Here's a photo of his WA22:

And here's mine:

Look at this photo makes me realize how badly I need to upgrade those puny capacitors!

Like these?
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 2, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #14 of 23
Does switching between two sources qualify as preamp use? Or have modifications been made to Seamaster's amp? Basically what I am wondering is if the outputs on the back are controlled by the potentiometer like the ones on the front, or if it is a true line level out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back