Woo Audio + HD650? New to this whole thing. Advice please!
Dec 28, 2008 at 5:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

ZenErik

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi. I'm a new member, and I'm looking to get a decent headphone rig going.

I've already ordered a few things to get started, but I'm not totally certain as to what I want. I lack experience and knowledge; that's where you folks come in. I'm very open to suggestions.

I will be playing mainly lossless audio from my iPod (using a dock to RCA connection) or MacBook w/ Presonus Firebox.

I ordered the Sennheiser HD650 headphones. To be honest, I've never tried them. I chose them after reading hundreds of posts comparing headphones like the HD650, K701, DT880, etc. I plan on recabling them soon enough. Maybe with some Cardas. If you know of any cabling options that can provide a much better bang for the buck, feel free to share.

I also ordered a WooAudio 6 after reading a bit. I would definitely be upgrading to the Sophia rectifier tube eventually. Anyway, Jack told me the wait would be about a month, and that wait time has got me thinking. Should I splurge for the WA6 SE or try to get the WA6 with the psuedo dual power supply? Or the WA2? Even the WA4 would be an option, although I don't have a large amount of cash. To be honest, I don't know what the difference in sound would be. I'm just really looking to have a pretty decent setup from the get go.

Basically, I'm open to any suggestions you guys may have; my main focus is solving my amp dilemma. Pointing me to past threads I may have missed would also be of great help.

THANKS!

Dec 28, 2008 at 11:00 AM Post #3 of 31
*glares authoritatively*
Yes, this is a good setup.

I would get the WA6SE with the second power supply if you can afford it, as well as the improved tubes, I know the Sophias are well liked although with some luck on ebay you could maybe find tubes you liked as well for less - still a long shot. If you can't afford the SE, at least pay up for good tubes, they make the difference.

The WA2s and WA4s are serious business and would take some real time and money to get there, if you're new to the game then maybe start small if money is a consideration, make sure you really like tubes.

You'll like HD650s, pretty much everyone does. If not, well, a pair of K701s are only about $250 away. Or go to Headphile and get some crazy wood-covered Beyers.

I don't know about using firewire recording interfaces and such for your source if you are really getting into pricy Woo stuff, or with any setup for that matter. I would invest in a good quality DAC and run your mac's optical minijack output to it. I have a Moodlab Concept DAC and it can be shipped to you in 4 days by the ever-awesome Albert Leung at Moodlab. It doesn't oversample or screw around with your music, has passive I/V conversion off the D/A chips, no op-amps inside it, etc. It's cute, small, and won't break the bank or screw up your music. There are many other options too.

Dec 28, 2008 at 11:22 AM Post #4 of 31
Oh, you should think about recabling with Moon Audio's Blue Dragon cable. It's not horrifically expensive (my 10' blue dragon with furutech 1/4 was $200) and it is very well made, and it totally changed the sound of my HD650s. Drew is a good guy and he will build everything exactly how you want it, make you any number of travel cables, adapters, or custom things.

Dec 28, 2008 at 12:26 PM Post #5 of 31
The WA 6 is a great choice for your 650,s but I personally would spend more money on a source before external power supplies and headphone cables, unless, you can afford a nicer source and the SE amp and a new cable.

Dec 28, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #6 of 31
Agree with olblueyez; seems like you're starting off with a whole new setup and it seems solid. However, I'd normally advise the following type of route:
1. find the 'phones which suit your tastes. This is often, IMO, the most colored part of the chain and the variety in sonic characters vary dramatically.
2. a source. Follow the addage of "garbage in garbage out" and you should do fine
wink.gif

3. amplifier. This is not only to drive the 'phones to the right volume, but (more importantly IMO) have sufficient control over the drivers to provide the dynamics and soundstaging. Underdriven cans can sound loud, but are generally flat and thin sounding. The amplifier is also important (IME) to color the sound to your liking. Think tubes vs. SS, circuit topologies etc.

Then, and only then, would I consider the likes of headphone cables, tube rolling, power cords, cryoed fuses, smokey quartz crystal and any other guise that audio tweaks take their form.

Dec 28, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #7 of 31
Though amove to the WA6 SE is a good suggestion, with your budget constraints, stick with the stock WA6. As you said, "To be honest, I don't know what the difference in sound would be. I'm just really looking to have a pretty decent setup from the get go." You picked excellent components.

I also agree with Jack from Woo Audio that you should wait a month or more before introducing the Sophia Electric 274b to your system. During that time, you will know how the WA6 sounds. When you add the 274b, it will blow you away.

Dec 28, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #8 of 31
One other suggestion - check the WA6/SE thread with regard to tube rolling. Many have found that the right tube combo can get close to the performance of the 274B at 1/10th of the price.

Dec 28, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by breakfastchef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Though amove to the WA6 SE is a good suggestion, with your budget constraints, stick with the stock WA6. As you said, "To be honest, I don't know what the difference in sound would be. I'm just really looking to have a pretty decent setup from the get go." You picked excellent components.

I also agree with Jack from Woo Audio that you should wait a month or more before introducing the Sophia Electric 274b to your system. During that time, you will know how the WA6 sounds. When you add the 274b, it will blow you away.

Ditto... except, I'd get the pseduo-dual power supply mod to the WA6. After you burn it in, you can then try some NOS tubes, and perhaps the Sophia Princess, and decide whether you really need to add the other upgrades. You may decide you really don't need them.

Dec 28, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #10 of 31
Hey guys. I guess I'll stick with the WA6 and see if I can get that PDPS. Lots of mentions of source upgrades and DACs. What should I look into? I will mainly be running lossless files from my computer.

As far as running optical out into a DAC on my Macbook, there isn't an optical out.

Would it be best to get a good external sound card and DAC? Or maybe a good card/interface that provides both. I figured that the Firebox wasn't a bad start, and I already own it. Another option that I already own is my Mackie Onyx 1640. However, it's a bit massive, and I'd rather not move it into my room.

Thanks.

Dec 28, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

As far as running optical out into a DAC on my Macbook, there isn't an optical out.

There is. The 1/8" (mini) jack doubles as a mini-Toslink. I use it to hook up my Macbook to my DAC (using a Van den Hul Optocoupler Mk II mini-Toslink to Toslink).

Dec 28, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is. The 1/8" (mini) jack doubles as a mini-Toslink. I use it to hook up my Macbook to my DAC (using a Van den Hul Optocoupler Mk II mini-Toslink to Toslink).

I had no idea. Is that what that little red light inside the input is? Is the onboard sound on a mid-2007 MacBook decent? If so, I'll just be looking at DACs. Suggestions?

Dec 28, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #13 of 31
While we're at it, can anyone suggestion a good power cable for the WA6? I notice that they don't come with one.

Dec 28, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #14 of 31
You should like the HD-650 well; it is one of the best headphones on the market and sounds great with many kinds of music. That was the one I started with and still use it all the time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenErik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had no idea. Is that what that little red light inside the input is? Is the onboard sound on a mid-2007 MacBook decent? If so, I'll just be looking at DACs. Suggestions?

Yes, there's an optical out inside the 1/8" jack on all Apples. They have bitperfect output, which is about the best you can get. Some will quibble because it's stock and has no mystical audiophile blessing, but I've never heard any problems with it.

I'm not too up on DACs - the only one I've had was a PreSonus Central Station. I thought it was very good, but I eventually sold it. My listening became dominated (and still is) by a SACD player, a turntable and a tubed FM tuner.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenErik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While we're at it, can anyone suggestion a good power cable for the WA6? I notice that they don't come with one.

If you don't have any spare computer cords around the house, just buy a generic one. There have been massive debates over whether aftermarket power cords make a difference. I don't hear any difference and I won't buy any cord without UL approval. Also keep in mind that the specialty power cords are usually priced several thousand percent over the cost of materials and overhead. Draw your own conclusions.

It's about the same with the aftermarket cables for Sennheisers. I have both the Cardas and the Blue Dragon. They are nicely built cables, but I haven't heard a difference with either. I've cycled them and the stock cables through the HD-600 and HD-650 through four or five amps, and they've all sounded the same. I think of the cables as jewelry. They're nice to have and look at, but don't expect your watch to become more accurate after you put diamonds on it. Everyone knows the stainless Rolex runs just as well as the diamond encrusted gold one.

Instead of dropping another $200-$400 on cables, put that money towards another pair of headphones. That would pay for a K-701, DT880 or several other great headphones. A couple years back, I paid $200 for a used Rega Planar 3. I've since upgraded, but no piece of gear brought me more pleasure than that first turntable. My first SACD player cost about $75 and my tube FM tuner was about $200. All of those gave me access to new music and great sound.

Put a lot of thought into where you spend your money. Cables have monstrous markups and are very controversial. Read up and think over the magical claims before you spend anything on them. On the other hand, a turntable will open up another world of music. And the music is what we're really here for.

Dec 28, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #15 of 31
Not sure about power cables, but yet the optical output is great. It outputs bit-perfect digital, to feed a DAC, hence bypassing any onboard D/A conversion. As for which DACs....that's a whole other can of worms
tongue.gif
. Two primary questions: a) budget, and b) sonic preferences (e.g., neutral/detailed/cool vs. warm/lush/fun etc.)

Also, as Uncle Erik stated above and in line with my previous comment on how to approach a system build, stuff like cables (especially power cords) should be the last thing to worry about IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back