Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Aug 30, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #22,831 of 42,298
+1 on the tubes listed here. I use both the Sylvania 7236 and the chrome top. For the latter, I have tried several respected driver tubes like tung sol black glass round plates 6sn7, the tung sol black glass 6F8G, and RCA vt231 smoke glass but it isn the 1950s Sylvania gta chrome tops that i keep in my Wa22 as my main tubes.

Inside the Woo WA22 is only three wires feeding all the jacks in series hookup..

I am happy Jack didn't just add a one extra ground wire to make it look like four wires where used but my thinking is no matter how many times you split the three wires its still just three paths running to the headphones.. If your amp will use a 6080 tube the first thing you should buy is a $100 pair of 7236 tubes then pair of $50 Sylvania Chrome Dome 6SN7GTAs

Aug 30, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #22,832 of 42,298
Quote:
My Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 also has four conductors. It sounds like the assertion being made here is that on Woo Audio's XLR plug and internal wiring somehow doesn't take advantage of the four separate conductors. I don't see how that could be the case.
Quote:
If I may, I'd like to ask for a bit more clarity. Are you replying to a specific vendor's XLR headphone cable design? This is because my own reality differs. Working my way from the bottom up in your reply, my balanced headphone XLR cable uses four conductors. They are run completely separate from cups to XLR adapter - no "Y" connector but two per side.

Using XLR cables with this configuration is not limited to a single advantage but three. Yes, they often can offer a superior connection. But they also can afford reduced cross talk and improved stereo imaging with four separate conductors.

Right, wrong or indifferent, I'm enjoying my Zeus Quad22 OCC Copper XLR D7000. 
wink.gif

Thanks, Sid-Fi. However, I know exactly what he's addressing. 
wink_face.gif
 For clarity, the OP sought best deal on Balanced headphone cables. NOMBEDES suggested the OP save his money and get a SE cable, explaining the only advantage XLR's have is with the connectors. My quote above speaks to that reply. The assertion you refer to was just previously addressed on page 1504 - grokit's post #22549 and my own post #22550. See Jack's reply below regarding the Fears of the internal headphone jacks wiring:

X2 on the WA22 preference. It has been explained in painstaking detail by Jack (below) that the WA22 is a balanced amplifier that fully utilizes a balanced source. It can send full power to either set of outputs, but only half of its power when utilizing a single-ended source. It took me a while to fully Grok this, I think I have it right at this point but am open to correction.

I would just add that some headphones respond better than others to balanced cabling, and IME these are usually the headphones that have modular connectors to facilitate an aftermarket cable.

Jack's post, 2/7/11:

"[size=medium]The WA22 is a fully balanced amp, see diagram below.[/size]

[size=medium]The question here is that this amp is not fully balanced because the "amp with a single ended output stage directly connected to the XLR connectors.” It is not true. In an Output Transformer coupled design, the primary and secondary coils are isolated. Output stage and input stage are not connected and thus no cross-talk whatsoever can happen.[/size]

[size=medium]On the ¼” output, both channels have independent paths, see the black and red wires.  If this wiring scheme applies to a Output Transformer Less design, the circuit will become single-ended. See the second diagram in #17, the v- would have to be a common wire to other channel.  One must be carefull not to take reference from the wrong context to avoid all the misunderstanding.[/size]

[size=medium]Also, no phase splitter is needed because the source is XLR (balanced). As for the RCA input, only ½ of the input is used and the efficiency is roughly dropped 50%. In other words, the RCA input will not take advantage of this design. You must use a balanced source to get the best out of the WA22.[/size]

[size=medium]Hope that clarifies.[/size]

[size=medium]-Jack"[/size]

Aug 30, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #22,833 of 42,298
And my views on the same issue:

Tea for thought ~

Though, I am without a WA22 (no one would sell, feel sorry for me yet?), I do possess a fully balanced source and re-cabled "balanced" headphones (allegedly). And would like to share my brief thoughts on the matter being discussed. Touching on DAC>Amp>Headphone.

At the heart of "Balanced" is achieving Common Mode Noise Rejection. Other than having money 
tongue_smile.gif
, that's the reason to do it, as I understand it. Also, not all balanced sources and amps are fully balanced in a traditional sense. Some use electronic wizardry. That said, my own DAC is fully balanced. However, my amp is SE. 

Despite my DAC only sending 2.6v in SE mode, I am still benefiting from my DAC's design and achieving Common Mode Noise Rejection. If the 5.2v sent is one of quality, the extra voltage will impart a more favorable sound than it would at 2.6v. And that's ok, because I am still benefiting from CMNR at this time.

Once the amp receives and maintains this signal, mission accomplished. Now, getting to, tapping into and/or outputting this signal to headphones is where imaginations tend to run wild on the subject. Headphones are not balanced - well, in name and symmetry, yes. But, DACs/Amps and headphones are two different things with two different goals and benefits.

With headphones, the goal is reduced Cross-talk and increased channel separation. And generally speaking, because there are always exceptions, XLR options tend to offer a chance at superior connections. This has nothing to do with Common Mode Noise Rejection. In my view, re-cabling headphones can yield improvements. But like running water, everyone's reality will vary.

Can any of these things be measured? Time wasted if not audibly discerned?? These questions and more make for another tea, another post on another day...

That's it! Those are my views in a tea bowl. Which, are subject to change through enlightenment. Besides, where would Head-Fi be without participation and discussion? 

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #22,834 of 42,298
Quote:
And my views on the same issue:

Tea for thought ~

Though, I am without a WA22 (no one would sell, feel sorry for me yet?), I do possess a fully balanced source and re-cabled "balanced" headphones (allegedly). And would like to share my brief thoughts on the matter being discussed. Touching on DAC>Amp>Headphone.

At the heart of "Balanced" is achieving Common Mode Noise Rejection. Other than having money 
tongue_smile.gif
, that's the reason to do it, as I understand it. Also, not all balanced sources and amps are fully balanced in a traditional sense. Some use electronic wizardry. That said, my own DAC is fully balanced. However, my amp is SE. 

Despite my DAC only sending 2.6v in SE mode, I am still benefiting from my DAC's design and achieving Common Mode Noise Rejection. If the 5.2v sent is one of quality, the extra voltage will impart a more favorable sound than it would at 2.6v. And that's ok, because I am still benefiting from CMNR at this time.

Once the amp receives and maintains this signal, mission accomplished. Now, getting to, tapping into and/or outputting this signal to headphones is where imaginations tend to run wild on the subject. Headphones are not balanced - well, in name and symmetry, yes. But, DACs/Amps and headphones are two different things with two different goals and benefits.

With headphones, the goal is reduced Cross-talk and increased channel separation. And generally speaking, because there are always exceptions, XLR options tend to offer a chance at superior connections. This has nothing to do with Common Mode Noise Rejection. In my view, re-cabling headphones can yield improvements. But like running water, everyone's reality will vary.

Can any of these things be measured? Time wasted if not audibly discerned?? These questions and more make for another tea, another post on another day...

That's it! Those are my views in a tea bowl. Which, are subject to change through enlightenment. Besides, where would Head-Fi be without participation and discussion? 

If only I could find some place where I can learn about Balanced vs single ended? Where can I turn to?  
tongue.gif

I love this forum!  

Thanks for the concise explanation Silent One!   
biggrin.gif

Aug 30, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #22,835 of 42,298
Thanks Silent One. However, to be honest, I'm going to kick back tonight and chill and maybe Saturday morning I'll critically review this
happy_face1.gif

Quote:

Thanks, Sid-Fi. However, I know exactly what he's addressing. 
wink_face.gif
 For clarity, the OP sought best deal on Balanced headphone cables. NOMBEDES suggested the OP save his money and get a SE cable, explaining the only advantage XLR's have is with the connectors. My quote above speaks to that reply. The assertion you refer to was just previously addressed on page 1504 - grokit's post #22549 and my own post #22550. See Jack's reply below regarding the Fears of the internal headphone jacks wiring:

X2 on the WA22 preference. It has been explained in painstaking detail by Jack (below) that the WA22 is a balanced amplifier that fully utilizes a balanced source. It can send full power to either set of outputs, but only half of its power when utilizing a single-ended source. It took me a while to fully Grok this, I think I have it right at this point but am open to correction.

I would just add that some headphones respond better than others to balanced cabling, and IME these are usually the headphones that have modular connectors to facilitate an aftermarket cable.

Jack's post, 2/7/11:

"[size=medium]The WA22 is a fully balanced amp, see diagram below.[/size]

[size=medium]The question here is that this amp is not fully balanced because the "amp with a single ended output stage directly connected to the XLR connectors.” It is not true. In an Output Transformer coupled design, the primary and secondary coils are isolated. Output stage and input stage are not connected and thus no cross-talk whatsoever can happen.[/size]

[size=medium]On the ¼” output, both channels have independent paths, see the black and red wires.  If this wiring scheme applies to a Output Transformer Less design, the circuit will become single-ended. See the second diagram in #17, the v- would have to be a common wire to other channel.  One must be carefull not to take reference from the wrong context to avoid all the misunderstanding.[/size]

[size=medium]Also, no phase splitter is needed because the source is XLR (balanced). As for the RCA input, only ½ of the input is used and the efficiency is roughly dropped 50%. In other words, the RCA input will not take advantage of this design. You must use a balanced source to get the best out of the WA22.[/size]

[size=medium]Hope that clarifies.[/size]

[size=medium]-Jack"[/size]

Aug 31, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #22,836 of 42,298
Quote:
+1

not much talk about the dac/transport combo

I would love to talk about them, but I have nothing to compare them to in order to provide A/B comparisons-this is the first dedicated transport and DAC I have ever owned, so I figured any impressions I would give would not be very helpful.....

Aug 31, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #22,837 of 42,298
Quote:
Thanks Silent One. However, to be honest, I'm going to kick back tonight and chill and maybe Saturday morning I'll critically review this
happy_face1.gif

Go ahead, take me to task 
biggrin.gif
 I've got no money! In a nutshell, I just don't think headphones are balanced in the way members think they are. Re-cabling cans in this manner sets about to achieve something entirely different. And that tapping into a balanced amp with any cans shouldn't matter if the amp has already done its job. I think this is different than having XLR outs from a balanced amp into a preamp w/XLR Inputs or other balanced add-on gear.

Aug 31, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #22,838 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:
+1

I would love to talk about them, but I have nothing to compare them to in order to provide A/B comparisons-this is the first dedicated transport and DAC I have ever owned, so I figured any impressions I would give would not be very helpful.....

Hey, we're an easy bunch in this thread! We like hearing new stuff and a member's view about new stuff...c'mon, get in there.
beerchug.gif

Aug 31, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #22,839 of 42,298
Quote:
+1

I love my WA6-SE, and that goes for both sound quality and build quality. I have not heard their WDS-1, but by it's appearance I'd say it looks like a cheap "high tech" radio clock manufactured in China, and completely unrelated to the rest of the Woo lineup. I think they would have been more popular if the design were more like their other products.

Shallow Hal wants a gal!

Aug 31, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #22,840 of 42,298
From the latest photos that I've seen I would have to say that the Woo dac/transport combo is bigger and more substantial than I had originally thought.

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #22,842 of 42,298
Quote:
HELP!
I just received my Adapters for Sylvania VT-99 6F8G tubes..
I have a Buzz on left side..
I was thinking bad tube or adapter..
I changed sides the tubes were installed on expected the buzz to also change side but it stayed on the same side..
I tried changing power and rectifier tubes hoping for a change but still have a buzz on left side :frowning2:

Any suggestions what to try???

I ordered my 6F8G => 6SN7 adapters from Jack just aftr he came out with them sometime ago and had the same problem.

The issue is that the wire use is to thin and not shielded so if it get close to the rectifier or transformer it will induce noise.
This is funny.... I first covered the wire with aluminum foil and corrected the issue but then I decide to do it the right way and sent them to Glenn. He rewired them for me.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Aug 31, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #22,843 of 42,298
Due to the limited space behind the volume control for WA2, stepped attenuator will have contact to tube socket and not possible to install.

It is my personal experience.

You may ask Jack of Woo to see is they will modify the circuit layout to adapt it

Quote:
Hi, I own a standard WA6-SE and are currently in the last stages of placing an order for a WA2.

That begs the question; stepped attenuator or a potentiometer?

I'm thinking that 24 steps might be to few, because this will also serve as a preamp in a stereo setup later. Also, I have not heard anyone having any problems with the potentiometer.

What do you guys think?

Aug 31, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #22,844 of 42,298
Quote:
Due to the limited space behind the volume control for WA2, stepped attenuator will have contact to tube socket and not possible to install.

It is my personal experience.

You may ask Jack of Woo to see is they will modify the circuit layout to adapt it

Then why does my/Clayton's WA2 have a stepped pot? :wink:

Aug 31, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #22,845 of 42,298
Ok, we may have to start a new thread here.....my original question is based on my recent WA22 purchase.

W4S/DAC2 > (XLR) > WA22 > ( missing link )  Sennheiser HD 700.

I thought I would get "balanced" cables from the WA22 to the Senns.   This so called balanced cable will have to be fabricated because the 700s are rather new and there is not a lot of aftermarket cables being produced. (One would think that Sennheiser would offer all manner of modifications, cables, etc, ... but no... ((and do not get me started on cup holders in German Cars!))

Now, I am under the impression that I should just go with my stock cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back