Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
May 21, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #10,141 of 42,298
Hey guys,

I'm about to join the Woo club in a few days, waiting for my WA6 SE. I've been reading around trying to find a dac to go along with this amp. I'm currently using Auzentech Prelude as my source and have been recommended the DacMagic, the emu 0404, and the nfb 2/3.

I'm currently using the HD650's and plan on getting DT 990's next (600ohm) next. I like to listen all kinds of music, but my favorite is Jazz, hip hop, rock, so I want something with impact and bass and looking to spend around $400 or less. I already started a thread on this but I think this is the best place to ask.

May 21, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #10,142 of 42,298

Quote:
I'd imagine if Mike just got a reply from Jack to his question about the ECC32 and the WA22 then that is Jack's current view on that compatibility issue. How old is Jack's compatibility chart anyway? So he needs to update his chart because I'd hate for WA22 owners to run the risk of shortening the life of their WA22 because of an incorrect chart.

The compatibility chart is a couple of months old I think. I thought it was a very new spreadsheet actually. Maybe he meant ECC33 and not ECC32 as a compatible driver? It seems odd to me that the CV181 is also listed with the ECC32, does this suggest two mistakes?

Anyway, I have been using them for three weeks now, twice a day, sometimes for three or four hours. My transformers are maybe blood warm. My non expert opinion is that if the ECC 32 tubes were in fact loading the transformers too heavily, there would be more heat generated while using the ECC32s than there is with other tubes.

I have never felt heat from my transformers so far using any power, driver, rectifier tube that is listed on the chart.

I'll wait this one out and continue using ECC 32s until the compatibility chart states otherwise. I think the perfrmance gains are worth the (potential) risk. If I detect some increase in transformer heat, I'll re-think this approach.

May 21, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #10,143 of 42,298

Quote:
Well there was a time when the WA6SE could not use a tube that the WA6 could (I've forgotten which mini tube that was). Then he changed the WA6SE later on to accommodate that tube. I also know that the Leben CS300XS's headphone output has also gone through a change which rendered a once-compatible headphone incompatible.
blink.gif

I find change irksome--sometimes.
blink.gif
And then again... there's a new Woo on the horizon! MORE change!
Mike, I will hide your wallet from you if you hide mine from me!
I think that SilentOne's wallet has made quite a few rounds these past months.
biggrin.gif

My wallet is so empty, only I.D. prevents an accidental tossing into the trash when doing housecleaning. 
eek.gif
  With three empty tea tins marked 'Audio', I shudder to think what I'll buy when I get a job!

May 21, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #10,144 of 42,298
one other thing - the original CV181 is equivalent to the ECC32, but the Shuguang Treasure CV181 is not a real CV181 - my understanding is it is actually a 6SN7 in CV181 clothing.

May 21, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #10,145 of 42,298

Quote:
one other thing - the original CV181 is equivalent to the ECC32, but the Shuguang Treasure CV181 is not a real CV181 - my understanding is it is actually a 6SN7 in CV181 clothing.

I'm sure Jack knows the Treasure CV181 is a 6SN7, perhaps purposely mislabeled (for some unknown reason) as a CV181. I can't imagine that the CV181 referenced on the compatibility chart, is a Treasure CV181!

edit: the Treasure CV181 is a perfectly good tube. I have some too and I'm not criticizing this tube at all.

May 21, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #10,146 of 42,298

Quote:
Umbilical cord question...

Hey friends, 
I'm building a shelf for my audio gear... I'm thinking putting the two units of my 6SE on top of each other by ordering a long umbilical cord. What I was wondering was... would a longer umbilical cord.. say 20", hurt the sound of my woo?? 

Even when receiving solid tips, it's best to try, look and listen - then evaluate. Two things I'd consider is heat and vibration control, which could impact the sound of your system. I believe the concept is fine and will come down to how well you can execute. Playing around in between playing tracks can be fun and good for the soul. Keep us posted, as I own the 6-SE as well.

May 21, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #10,147 of 42,298
From a previous post that Mike Malter posted it seemed like the GEC made the transformers hotter than with the TS5998 sounds like more of an issue, because I run the ECC32 with TS5998 and some regular old RCA NOS 5U4G for about 6-8 hours a day for the last 3-4 months and I have had no issues.  I don't actually listen that much, sometimes I have it on for background music, but besides the point.  If Jack's stance is they are now not compatible with his amps it would be great to let us all know.  To be honest I think the other tubes are good and some are even great, but nothing has really taken me to where I want to be with the Woos except the ECC32s.

May 21, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #10,148 of 42,298
The 6AS7G draws 0.1 amp more heater current than a 5998. So for the power transformer, the ECC32 plus 6AS7G will be slightly harder than the ECC32 plus 5998 (by 0.2 amps in the WA22).

May 21, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #10,149 of 42,298

Quote:
Umbilical cord question...

Hey friends, 
I'm building a shelf for my audio gear... I'm thinking putting the two units of my 6SE on top of each other by ordering a long umbilical cord. What I was wondering was... would a longer umbilical cord.. say 20", hurt the sound of my woo?? 

This is how I set up my 6SE.  I got a 24" umbilical cord from Jack.  He can make different lengths.  He told me that it would have no impact on sound, and my ears tell me he was right. 

May 21, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #10,150 of 42,298
I don't think it's crazy at all!  A library might turn out to be the perfect location.  Berkeley would be a good central location too, plus the bonus of the great food and drink close by. 

A few other options:

- There are quite a few community centers, such as San Ramon, that offer very nice rooms of different sizes.  Not sure how much they charge for these spaces...  There must be similar centers on the other side of the bay.

- My location may not be ideal, because it's out in Pleasanton, but my association has a club house that would be awesome for a mini-meet.  It was several separate rooms, tables, and lounge areas that could be set up so there are areas for quiet listening and others for talking shop.  Dates fill up quickly for weekends, but we could use it for next to nothing, $25 for the whole day.  There is also a kitchen in case we wanted to bring along some snacks etc...

Just a few more possibilities.

Quote:
Since replying to mikemalter earlier today, I've actually been entertaining two thoughts, mini-meet related. My first thought may bring howls and laughter flat-out! Which will eventually subside once y'all realize "He's serious!" I'm seriously thinking about hosting a mini-meet inside a (wait for it)... library. We wouldn't have to contend with a whole lot of unwanted external or unpleasant ambient noises, now would we?!  

biggrin.gif

My pick would be the Dublin Public Library (Alameda Co.). It's modern, accessible and great Community rooms. Just a thought! Second choice would be to host a mini-meet at CAL (UC Berkeley). This locale has a lot going for it as well, food & drink just down the street among them...

Reaction! I'd like to get your thoughts on this, as well as hear from our other Woo mates that sit Bay side. 

May 21, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #10,151 of 42,298
Just got a clairifying email back from Jack,  He says that the ECC32's are ok afterall.  Here is his email:

Quote:
[size=medium]My mistake. I can be used as a driver. It is the same as CV181. All tubes in the tube chart are verified so you can take reference from there.[/size]

Here was my email asking for the clairification:

Quote:
[size=12pt]Jack,[/size]

[size=12pt]Just checked the tube compatibility chart and the ECC32 is on there.  Should it be taken off?  [/size]

Well, I'll say that that is enough excitement for one day, yes? 
L3000.gif

May 21, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #10,152 of 42,298

Quote:
The 6AS7G draws 0.1 amp more heater current than a 5998. So for the power transformer, the ECC32 plus 6AS7G will be slightly harder than the ECC32 plus 5998 (by 0.2 amps in the WA22).

Sky,

Thanks for the details on the GEC 6AS7G.  I have noticed that when the GEC's are in there the wattage readout on my P5 is about 10 watts higher.  They have the highest draw of all my power tubes which is surprising to me because supposedly tubes like the Sylvania 7236 are more powerful but draw less current.  Does that make sense?  Do you know why?

May 21, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #10,153 of 42,298

Quote:
Just got a clairifying email back from Jack,  He says that the ECC32's are ok afterall.  Here is his email:

Here was my email asking for the clairification:
Quote:
[size=12pt]Jack,[/size]
[size=12pt]Just checked the tube compatibility chart and the ECC32 is on there.  Should it be taken off?  [/size]

Well, I'll say that that is enough excitement for one day, yes? 
L3000.gif

Shoot. And I just canceled my order for six pairs of 'em. (Twelve Mullard ECC32). j/k
tongue.gif

All kidding aside--
Mike, thanks for getting Jack to clarify;
now I need to fix myself a cocktail.
Happy Saturday to all ye Woozies who have ECC32s. ENJOY!

May 21, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #10,154 of 42,298
I have purchase a lot of things online in my day....

These sites to buy tubes have some of the WORST ordering systems I've ever encountered.  I can't even tell what tubeworld.com has in stock or how much it costs!!!

And ebay scares me....for tube-buying at least.

Anyone have a more straightforward site?

May 21, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #10,155 of 42,298

Quote:
Sky,

Thanks for the details on the GEC 6AS7G.  I have noticed that when the GEC's are in there the wattage readout on my P5 is about 10 watts higher.  They have the highest draw of all my power tubes which is surprising to me because supposedly tubes like the Sylvania 7236 are more powerful but draw less current.  Does that make sense?  Do you know why?

The 5998 has about twice the transconductance of a 6AS7G, and more than twice the amplification factor.  This is why it is "more powerful".  Heater current draw is not the primary determinant of amplification in a vacuum tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back