Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Mar 20, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #42,046 of 42,298
I spoke with them. He confirmed that it's a 300B preamp and with a solid state output. He said the 300B tubes aren't powerful enough, so they need some help with a mosfat. I'm not really sure what that means or if his claim is correct, but it appears the initial teardown was correct. It's disappointing, but it is what it is. The 3ES still sounds good, and the T2 doesn't fix the subbass issue with my cans, so I'm not sure what to do next.
Wait till Munich high end

Did you hear the Grand Cayman?
Was it better than T2?

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #42,047 of 42,298
Wait till Munich high end

Did you hear the Grand Cayman?
Was it better than T2?
I did. It sounds good, but nothing that super blew me away. If I had to choose between the T2 and Crand Cayman, I'd probably pick the T2. I know they are continually modifying the Grand Cayman, so I'm curious as to what it will sound like when it eventually gets released. I would like to hear it again for sure, but it wasn't something that I heard and immediately thought "I want this."

I heard the T2 in a quite room at a friend's house as well. I brought along my Shang Sr, and the T2 had more bass impact than the 3ES, but the 3ES had better extension and went lower. I was looking to increase the subbass quantity on my Shang and had hoped the T2 could fix the issue, but it didn't. The 3ES holds up pretty well with the T2, it's just the T2 has more bass impact. I might end up keeping the 3ES actually, or I may get out of estats completely now that I know nothing can fix the subbass issue (the Grand Caymen couldn't either).

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #42,048 of 42,298
I did. It sounds good, but nothing that super blew me away. If I had to choose between the T2 and Crand Cayman, I'd probably pick the T2. I know they are continually modifying the Grand Cayman, so I'm curious as to what it will sound like when it eventually gets released. I would like to hear it again for sure, but it wasn't something that I heard and immediately thought "I want this."

I heard the T2 in a quite room at a friend's house as well. I brought along my Shang Sr, and the T2 had more bass impact than the 3ES, but the 3ES had better extension and went lower. I was looking to increase the subbass quantity on my Shang and had hoped the T2 could fix the issue, but it didn't. The 3ES holds up pretty well with the T2, it's just the T2 has more bass impact. I might end up keeping the 3ES actually, or I may get out of estats completely now that I know nothing can fix the subbass issue (the Grand Caymen couldn't either).
Thx for sharing. Very interesting impressions.

Mar 20, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #42,049 of 42,298

X9K not cutting it for bass?

Mar 20, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #42,050 of 42,298
X9K not cutting it for bass?
Oh, it has adequate bass for me; I wish the Shang had X9K bass. But the thing I like about the Shang is the absolutely crazy resolution. The Stax has a high resolution, but it isn't at the same level as the Shang. The reason to keep estats in my mind is speed and resolution. If they could just figure out how to do bass with the crazy high resolution, I'd be a happy person. I liked the HE-1 when I heard it at Can Jam, but not necessarily more than my TC setup. The HE-1 doesn't really sound like other estats and doesn't fill that super high resolution itch I have. Would I like to have the HE-1, most definitely. Would I want to sell all my equipment and get the HE-1, nope.

Mar 20, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #42,051 of 42,298
Mar 20, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #42,052 of 42,298
Would I like to have the HE-1, most definitely. Would I want to sell all my equipment and get the HE-1, nope.

Similar takes. If I could get He1 for like 25-30, I'd be working on figuring it out, but at 60 I just can't realy justify it over other stuff

Mar 20, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #42,053 of 42,298
I have a feeling that if I upgraded my TC/WA33 EE JPS chain with a better dac, it would be better than the HE-1. Part of me wants to just focus in on maximizing my TC/WA33 chain. It's a different theory of headphone consumption than my current model of having a ton of headphones. I'd have to sell my estat setup to get the type of dac I'd want though. So, I just have to decide if I value variety more than maximizing one pair of headphones. Logically, I think I'd prefer variety.

Also, the Valkyria was amazing. That was a pair of headphones I heard and immediately thought I wanted them. I might pick a pair up later this year.

Mar 20, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #42,054 of 42,298
Oof, damn. I thought T2 fixed ya right up tbh. Sad to hear that's not the case
I thought so off first listen at the Eksonic booth, but after listening in a quiet location later, it wasn't the case. I think I was just very impressed with the bass impact of the T2 at the Can Jam booth, but what I really wanted was more sub bass quantity

Mar 20, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #42,055 of 42,298
I think I was just very impressed with the bass impact of the T2 at the Can Jam booth, but what I really wanted was more sub bass quantity

Makes complete sense. I find sub bass basicaly impossible to hear on show floors tbh.

Out of curiosity, does x9k have enough sub-bass for you to be satisfied?

Mar 20, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #42,056 of 42,298
Also, the Valkyria was amazing.
This was another stand out of the show to me. I've got a pulsar demo comming, but would be nice to get Valkyria at home for some proper listening

Mar 20, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #42,057 of 42,298
Makes complete sense. I find sub bass basicaly impossible to hear on show floors tbh.

Out of curiosity, does x9k have enough sub-bass for you to be satisfied?
I'll say the X9K has adequate bass, but not ideal bass. If the Shang had X9K bass, it would be a nice improvement, but X9K bass is not TC or HE-1 bass.

Also, if I didn't mostly listen to hip-hop and metal, I wouldn't care about the bass issue, but alas those are my genres

Mar 20, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #42,059 of 42,298
Then why estats really? Doesn't seem fitting for those genres at all.

Cause detail to the ear holes is fun

I'll say the X9K has adequate bass, but not ideal bass. If the Shang had X9K bass, it would be a nice improvement, but X9K bass is not TC or HE-1 bass.

Oh yah. It can't ever be TC. Was juts currious if that was "enough"

Pure curiousity, what dac would you be aiming for if you went the single chain route? Got a few friends all moving up the dac ladder along side me right now and always interesting to find out why people pick what they do (especially since so many of the high end ones are basicaly impossible to demo first)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back