Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Mar 11, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #36,781 of 42,298
Yip it seems to be 274B type rectifiers. Even the TAK274B which hands down is the best sounding rectifier does it.
I've now had the Brimar 5Z4GY on for 3 hours. No hum from the transformers at all. The WA22 is so quiet with the right tubes.

I think I will switch back to the TAK tho. As it sounds amazing. Plus hum sound is only noticeable between music tracks and most times it is quiet.

Don't know that I have notice this with my tak might switch and see

Mar 11, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #36,784 of 42,298
  I just placed an order for the Brimar 5z4gy from langrex.  Will report back if any difference in hum for me.  Hopefully shipping to California doesn't take too long.  Can't wait to try based on all the great reviews. 

You'll really enjoy that tube it's sq is excellent..

Mar 11, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #36,785 of 42,298
  Well your not alone lol,joseph69 tip to use rubber gloves is excellent need traction on those suckers and i always use 2 hands on them ,like my baseball coach use to tell me always 2 hands on the ball lol. I take lots of pictures of them and for me thats when they are at risk unfortunately .

LOL well I did use two hands. Some come easier than others. One of the 6F8G Adapters comes out with the tube from the base (tube fit is more snug than the adapter fit) and the other adapter is snug enough the tube will come out of the adapter but the adapter stays well fit in the base. I got the vinyl gloves now. I didn't even think of the possibility that they could have mercury vapor or other nasties inside. I'm glad I cleaned it up right away. Regardless it was mid tube swap so I had to clean it up. Plus I don't like the surprise of walking barefoot and stepping on glass shards and slivers.

Mar 11, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #36,788 of 42,298
I heard the WA8 at a CanJam. I thought it was one of the nicest small portable amps I heard that day. It seems like it's more conveniently transportable than portable. Portable to me is fits-in-my-pocket-comfortably like an iPhone or a small DAP.

Mar 12, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #36,789 of 42,298
Glad you all are sorting out your noise issues.  Too bad it seems to lead to the 274B.

On the subject of tubes, I am underwhelmed with Lan**ex once again

<rant>.
My order of 21 February has yet to arrive and another order of 27 February has not been delivered. And no order acknowledgement or shipping notice twice again.

Also, I emailed them twice to inquire if they have something in stock and they have failed to favor me with any reply. Some things are seriously lacking with the manner that these folks conduct their business.  
<end rant>

On to a good business experience: Tubemongers delivered socket savers promptly. Ordered on Suday and in hand before I knew it. Even included a nice little container in which to store them. Nice touch! Seems like a nice product..

The Tube Du Jour is a brand new Sovtex 5AR4 with International 6DR7s.  Man those drivers are powerful. I elected to keep them and this is their first time with music. My volume setting is way, way down. Bass is effortless. A very interesting combination. Looking forward to breaking this combo in. Maybe I should get a second amp for the office and speed up all the breaking in.  Hmmm. Maybe get the smaller WA6...or not.  That can take some additional drivers. Would probably make economic sense to get a second WA6SE to keep me from rolling a larger variety of valves! Ha Ha.

Mar 12, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #36,790 of 42,298
  Glad you all are sorting out your noise issues.  Too bad it seems to lead to the 274B.

<rant>.
My order of 21 February has yet to arrive and another order of 27 February has not been delivered. And no order acknowledgement or shipping notice twice again.

Also, I emailed them twice to inquire if they have something in stock and they have failed to favor me with any reply. Some things are seriously lacking with the manner that these folks conduct their business.  
<end rant>

On to a good business experience: Tubemongers delivered socket savers promptly. Ordered on Suday and in hand before I knew it. Even included a nice little container in which to store them. Nice touch! Seems like a nice product..

The Tube Du Jour is a brand new Sovtex 5AR4 with International 6DR7s.  Man those drivers are powerful. I elected to keep them and this is their first time with music. My volume setting is way, way down. Bass is effortless. A very interesting combination. Looking forward to breaking this combo in. Maybe I should get a second amp for the office and speed up all the breaking in.  Hmmm. Maybe get the smaller WA6...or not.  That can take some additional drivers. Would probably make economic sense to get a second WA6SE to keep me from rolling a larger variety of valves! Ha Ha.

Sorryto hear about your experience with them…I'm very surprised, because as I have said before they were nothing short of excellent with delivery. I sure it will all work out for you in the end, good luck.

Mar 12, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #36,791 of 42,298

<rant>.

<end rant>

Same experience with Lan**ex. Though they did reply quite quickly when I enquired about some very expensive tubes.

I also ordered socket savers from Tubemongers on Sunday - so hoping they arrive soon. I seem to have obtained quite a few tubes, and I don't want to wear out the main sockets of my Woo!

Yes, get a second amp of same amp. I couldn't imagine another tube amp with a different set of tubes to roll. I'd need to retired (to have the time) and also be quite wealthy!

Mar 12, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #36,792 of 42,298
Sorryto hear about your experience with them…I'm very surprised, because as I have said before they were nothing short of excellent with delivery. I sure it will all work out for you in the end, good luck.

I agree. They have been great to me. I had a bunch of GE6AS7GA's go missing. They never did turn up. They sent out more as soon as I notified. Plus some extra's. They gave me some Mullard 6080's to try. Stuff like that.

I must say they don't notify when stuff is being shipped and there is no tracking. Seems to be an American thing to do that. They honour their purchases and kinda do business like gentlemen. Not a well oiled machine. James is the man. If you want things done or info he is the one to contact.

Mar 12, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #36,793 of 42,298
  Doesn't seem to be showing the video?

It works for me in original post and in your quote. Perhaps you have ad block or something that blocks videos installed on your web browser? 

More info on WA8 Eclipse.

Mar 12, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #36,795 of 42,298

Plus one here.

I don't understand those getting poor service as it is in such contrast to my experience. I am on my third order in the past month. James has been too efficient sending me the products promised. No games, BS, trying to bait and switch. He was a great help with tubes for my WA6 last year. This year even better with my WA22. The GEC, Mullard, Brimar, and even RCA tubes I have received from him have been fantastic. Thankfully he has a limited selection of tubes otherwise my wallet would be empty.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back