Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
May 4, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #29,836 of 42,298
Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm presently using all Sophia Electric tubes in my WA6, the Princess 274b and two 6SN7's.The soundstage is more expansive and I'm hearing greater detail, more little things, in my recordings, but the overall presentation is less crisp and sounds more syrupy. I notice this mostly with CD's from the 80's and 90's, with exception of small combo jazz, and not on more recent recordings. This tube combination doesn't have more than thirty hours with my WA6 on them. Will the sound change with more time and are there other power tubes that I should investigate, or could it be that I'm simply beginning to get into tube rolling?

May 4, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #29,837 of 42,298
Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm presently using all Sophia Electric tubes in my WA6, the Princess 274b and two 6SN7's.The soundstage is more expansive and I'm hearing greater detail, more little things, in my recordings, but the overall presentation is less crisp and sounds more syrupy. I notice this mostly with CD's from the 80's and 90's, with exception of small combo jazz, and not on more recent recordings. This tube combination doesn't have more than thirty hours with my WA6 on them. Will the sound change with more time and are there other power tubes that I should investigate, or could it be that I'm simply beginning to get into tube rolling?

As you may know, I have the S/P-274B and Sylvania 6SN7-WGTA's which I do love, but I did notice that the sound does warm up and is not as crisp as when they had less time on them.
I also have the Phillips Miniwatt GZ34 which I use with RCA-6FD7's, and the sound is more crisp/detailed/tighter, not "syrupy" at all. Also the current production Mullard GZ32 ($45.00) which I use with RCA-6EW7's which are also crisp/detailed, but slightly thinner in overall  sound…but for the price its well worth it IMO/IME.

May 4, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #29,838 of 42,298
Thanks Joseph. I'll check out those other tubes.

May 4, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #29,840 of 42,298

Which headphone are you driving?  

I owned the WA6 for a year or so.  The Princess does a nice job (and a heck of a light show), but a metal base GZ-34 gave me the best sound of anything I put in it.  They aren't cheap.  I think the metal base version of the GZ-34 ended in 1955 or 1956, then they moved to a plastic base, which still sounded better than the Princess to my ears.  

I'd probably play with rolling the rectifier before rolling the drivers.  I had a bunch of different drivers, 6DE7, 6SN7 and a few others.  The differences were minor in terms of quality.  The 6SN7 provided more power than the 6DE7.  The 6GT7 (hope I've got that right) added some grit and grain which I didn't like.

Have fun, it's a nice amp.

May 4, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #29,841 of 42,298
alot of the alternate 6XX7 tubes you can use seem to sound too aggressive and grainy for my tastes.

May 4, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #29,843 of 42,298
Which headphone are you driving?  

I owned the WA6 for a year or so.  The Princess does a nice job (and a heck of a light show), but a metal base GZ-34 gave me the best sound of anything I put in it.  They aren't cheap.  I think the metal base version of the GZ-34 ended in 1955 or 1956, then they moved to a plastic base, which still sounded better than the Princess to my ears.  

I'd probably play with rolling the rectifier before rolling the drivers.  I had a bunch of different drivers, 6DE7, 6SN7 and a few others.  The differences were minor in terms of quality.  The 6SN7 provided more power than the 6DE7.  The 6GT7 (hope I've got that right) added some grit and grain which I didn't like.

Have fun, it's a nice amp.
I'm listening to the Grado RS1i's which I just love. What should I expect the price of a metal base GZ-34 to be? Can I run a 596 in the WA6 as a rectifier? I hope I got that tube number right. Still learning the names and numbers of the different tubes.

May 4, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #29,844 of 42,298
I'm listening to the Grado RS1i's which I just love. What should I expect the price of a metal base GZ-34 to be? Can I run a 596 in the WA6 as a rectifier? I hope I got that tube number right. Still learning the names and numbers of the different tubes.

Prices can be about $3-700.00, you've got too keep an eye out to find a less expensive one. You can run a 596, but you need an adapter.

May 4, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #29,845 of 42,298
Thanks Joseph. 3-7 hundred bones? Wholly Hanna! I'll definitely keep a spy eye out for those tubes. Is there a difference in sound between the S/P and the 596?

May 4, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #29,846 of 42,298
Thanks Joseph. 3-7 hundred bones? Wholly Hanna! I'll definitely keep a spy eye out for those tubes. Is there a difference in sound between the S/P and the 596?

The 596 has outstanding clarity.  But it lacks bass depth and extension.  So if you have a bass heavy headphone, the 596 is a great match.  But it's less so for a headphone like the HD800.  

Don't be afraid to go for a plastic base GZ-34.  It's very close to the metal base in sound, and you can score a NOS from '57 or '58 for a little over $100.

May 4, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #29,847 of 42,298

The 596 has outstanding clarity.  But it lacks bass depth and extension.  So if you have a bass heavy headphone, the 596 is a great match.  But it's less so for a headphone like the HD800.  

Don't be afraid to go for a plastic base GZ-34.  It's very close to the metal base in sound, and you can score a NOS from '57 or '58 for a little over $100.

The 596 may be that way with Woo amps, but not with others. It has great Bass with the HD800's on My Cary and with the Decware I had. Best Rectifier I have found so far.

May 4, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #29,848 of 42,298

i find it to have some of the best bass extension out there actually, just the bass is kinda pushed back, but its there. its a bass light tube, but it definitely goes quite deep.

596 works great with planars as well as denon/fostex and other bassy headphones.

it works well with hd 800, but needs 6GL7 to bring the bass up a bit (this is a very muddy bassy tube thats refined with the 596 and ends up being an interesting pairing). otherwise, i find the 596 bright on some of the woo amps due to its forward nature.

the metal bass is a huge step up over the plastic imo, the sound is similar but the metal is less grainy and seems to be less compressed sounding. liquid like dynamics and a cool mint-like sound signature.

May 4, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #29,849 of 42,298

i find it to have some of the best bass extension out there actually, just the bass is kinda pushed back, but its there. its a bass light tube, but it definitely goes quite deep.

596 works great with planars as well as denon/fostex and other bassy headphones.

it works well with hd 800, but needs 6GL7 to bring the bass up a bit (this is a very muddy bassy tube thats refined with the 596 and ends up being an interesting pairing). otherwise, i find the 596 bright on some of the woo amps due to its forward nature.

the metal bass is a huge step up over the plastic imo, the sound is similar but the metal is less grainy and seems to be less compressed sounding. liquid like dynamics and a cool mint-like sound signature.

I hear what you're saying-- I suppose I should qualify-- It's a great tube, but I liked the EML 5U4G better with the HD800. I have a matched pair I'm considering selling at some point.

May 4, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #29,850 of 42,298

I picked up the first production NOS 1950's black base Mullard GZ34 after the metal base was discontinued, and it sounds great!!!
I would never spend the $ some of these tubes are going for…I can almost buy my amp again for some of these prices!
You will definitely enjoy this tube, and especially for its price!!! 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151227004794?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Users who are viewing this thread

Back