Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Dec 25, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #29,101 of 42,298
was also thinking something more expensive, but its probably not worth it, resale value will plummet and will be expensive to maintain, service, gas, insurance, etc....

I'm going to sound like a parent for 2 minutes...

All cars lose 30% to 50% of their value in the first 4 years, which is why I will not ever buy a new car, ever. You wind up having too much money tied up in something going down in value. Buy a 2-3 year old car with low mileage from Carmax. They will give you a 30-day exchange to protect against anything going wrong, and will fix anything broken on the car at the time of purchase. Pay cash if you can. Loans have a way of sticking around. Let someone else take that 40% loss.

Forgive me for I mean no offense, I am merely passing on what I learned by making bad money decisions for 38 years. The past 8 have been debt free, and your entire world changes when you stop making payments.

Ignore this if it annoys you, I'm offering a suggestion in the kindest way.

but there are no many intangibles.  that new car smell.  knowing that no one has really driven this car but you, and if you can order it, even better.  

I don't want to make a thing out of this, hijacking the thread. Personal finance is personal.

Carmax will let you order the exact car you want, with the exact options you want. When they get one in that matches your desire, you get an email.

40% is a lot of money to lose on anything, regardless of price. The smell not withstanding.

Here's why: Compound interest. Say you buy a new car at $30,000 vs $18000 used. That's $12,000. Invest that at 10% interest in an index fund between the ages of 30 and 60, you could have made $238,000 dollars, without adding a penny to it. Hope you liked the car.

It's the cost of doing something wise with the money that makes a car so expensive. It took me a long time to fully understand the ramifications of bad spending choices. And I've done every dumb thing a person can do with money!

On topic-- Woo gear, I've broken even with both amps.

I swear, I'm done now.

I'm gonna throw in my two cents here.

While generally I'm financially savy (aside from my headfi addiction, but that's another topic) I would say reels advice more applies to higher end cars or people who like to get new cars every few years.

$30000, while not super high end is still more than, say a Corolla. $230000 over 30 years still needs to account for capital gains taxes (I know I know taxes are for suckers!) AND inflation.

Forget taxes just consider inflation. Assume you had the 230000$ NOW ant you held it for 30years and inflation was 2% your purchase in power will still be cut by almost half to about 127000$ THIRTY YEARS LATER.

That's not saying reel isn't right about saving and compound interest (because he/she is) but take the interest and savings in perspective. (capital gains taxes are a b!Tch too, trust me).

As a personal example I bought a fully loaded Mazda 3 in 2004 (in 2003 when it was first intoduced) for about $21k. People gave me **** about it on how I can buy a used 'nicer' car and this and that and the other thing. But here we are ten years later and I still LOVE my Mazda with 157,000+ miles AND a not-so-modest single family home AND a retirement account well on its way to being fully funded (I'm 30 years old) while my detractors are on their 2nd or 3rd 'bmw' and in a townhome or condo and haven't even really set up any semblance of a retirement.

Sorry for the typos, on a tablet.

(MERRY CHRISTMAS, folks!)

On other news, Dg I guess you're liking the gsx-mkII? Still waiting on mine from Justin...

Dec 25, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #29,103 of 42,298
I have 270K on my Prius..Still get 45-50 mpg and it looks great!

Wow, my wife will be very happy to hear that. I bought her a Prius last year. She loves it. As for me, my 05 Acura RL is pushing 9 years soon. Flawless since the day I got it. Well, it better be for the $ I paid.

Dec 25, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #29,104 of 42,298

I have 270K on my Prius..Still get 45-50 mpg and it looks great!

Wow, my wife will be very happy to hear that. I bought her a Prius last year. She loves it. As for me, my 05 Acura RL is pushing 9 years soon. Flawless since the day I got it. Well, it better be for the $ I paid.

RL's are great cars....My Prius is a 2008. 2nd gen.

Dec 25, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #29,105 of 42,298
Dec 25, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #29,106 of 42,298
Dec 25, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #29,108 of 42,298
  All original batteries still at full capacity...

Awesome!  When we researched the Prius last year, we read about taxi companies using Prius.  Their Prius fleet got 200-300k miles on them without problems.  Pretty amazing.

Dec 25, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #29,110 of 42,298
  I like Toyota I have a Rav 4 and has a 2007 Camry before that plus my daughter still driving a 2004 Corolla and that car has 98K miles on it spits good for another 10 years. LOL they are dependable. My wife drive a nissan Sentra to go to and from work

i had an 03 corolla, got up to 120k miles, still ran great but had oil leak problem, it siezed the first engine, we got a new engine put in it and also thought the oil problem was fixed. now a few weeks later it happened again while i was driving, drove a few miles, shut the engine off before it got really bad, refilled it with oil, and when i started it back up, was knocking really bad and gets worse as you rev. had to get it towed and now its just sitting in the driveway. pretty much dead cause not gonna put any more money into another engine, especially on a 10 year old car. especially not knowing what else could break or stuff that has to get serviced soon anyways.

im sure if none of this ever happened, that car would of ran for another 10 years as well. never gave me any other problems and it just felt like it would last forever.

Dec 25, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #29,111 of 42,298
So i have been away from my main rig (WA2/HD800/T1) for the last 4 days because I went home to visit family for the holidays. I brought my Cowon j3/Fiio E11 - HD595 with me for the journey but as it turned out i just read in the car on the way home instead of listening. 

Today i decided to go for a walk to listen to some music. I had not listened to the Cowon/fiio and HD595 for a long time. the walk wasn't as enjoyable as i thought it was gonna be because compared to my main rig the Cowon/hd595 sounds like utter *****! Man i had no idea how good my main rig sounds compared to my portable one. I suppose i just got used to the quality over the last few weeks. It was a big shock. Now i just wanna go back to my house and listen to some nice tunes. I MISS MY WOO....... 

Dec 25, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #29,113 of 42,298
You need a custom IEM for away rig, my JH13 powered by iPhone it sound really really great that I do not have the feeling of missing my main rig during travel.

+1 So true....

Dec 25, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #29,114 of 42,298
The cars I purchase are certified pre-owned with between 5000 and 12000 miles on them. These cars are usually close to new and they come with a 6 yr / 100k warranty as compared to the normal 4/50k or so. The minute you drive a new car off the lot it depreciates 20%.

Dec 25, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #29,115 of 42,298
i really want this 
frown.gif

these depreciates too right? so if its like 25k new it'll be worth 20k as soon as i drive it off the lot?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back