Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Dec 19, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #29,041 of 42,298
  Frank, thank you, I purchased the tubes from eBay already and I'm waiting for Woo to contact me about the adapters, being I don't see on their site how to order just the adapters without the tubes from them. I'm in Staten, Island N.Y. and the tube seller is in Brooklyn, N.Y. so I should have them very shortly. Thanks for all of your help/suggestions, and I'll let you know how I like them after burn-in time. Thanks again and Happy Holidays, Joseph.

Great and enjoy them

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #29,042 of 42,298
Strange thing happened to me on the WA22 tonite.  

1.  I paused my music and heard humming from my HE500.  More in the left cup.
2.  Power cycle the amp.  Disconnect all sources.  No difference.
3.  Pull the left driver tube (recently purchased ken rad VT 231).  Replace it with a Raytheon.
4.  Turn amp back on.  Voila.  No more humming.  Dead quite.
5.  Got curious.  Move the right driver tube (ken rad) to left.  Put the ken rad that was in left driver in step#3 into the right driver.
6.  No more humming either.

WTH???

Hope you experts could give some insights.

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #29,044 of 42,298
  Sound alike the Ken rad tube is bad.

If it was then why did the humming stopped when I put it on the right channel?  That's the part that got me.

Dec 20, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #29,045 of 42,298
The other tubes are working. Try cleaning the tube pin on the Ken Rad and see what happens.if it does it with the other tubes then I would say it need to be looked at. Let me know if that happens and I will ask Jack what could be causing it. He out of town till 12/26. here is a thread to clean the pinsCleaning Vacuum Tube Pins? - Head-Fi. Sometime it could be the pin and another old school trick would be to use  a pencil eraser I have done that and it works.  If it still doing that and the other tubes front it has to be the tube.

Dec 20, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #29,047 of 42,298
  my wa22 is on its way

beerchug.gif
 You will enjoy it greatly.  I have, every night for hours.  Different tubes can significantly the sound signature.

Dec 20, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #29,048 of 42,298
  No, I haven't, but I am also going to order them.
Was their a particular brand/year or NOS that I should buy? 
Also would these a direct fit in the WA6, or do I need an adapter? Thanks for the reminder.

i think jack still stocks the Sylvania fat bottle 6FD7 which is the ones i had. (i believe his are unlabeled in westinghouse boxes, regardless, they are sylvania tubes). 

its the best tube i tried to the WA6/WA6-SE, very well balanced and neutral with great bass and treble. the 6ew7 would be my second favorite.

the 6dr7 was also nice, but lacks bass.

Dec 20, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #29,049 of 42,298
Strange thing happened to me on the WA22 tonite.  

1.  I paused my music and heard humming from my HE500.  More in the left cup.
2.  Power cycle the amp.  Disconnect all sources.  No difference.
3.  Pull the left driver tube (recently purchased ken rad VT 231).  Replace it with a Raytheon.
4.  Turn amp back on.  Voila.  No more humming.  Dead quite.
5.  Got curious.  Move the right driver tube (ken rad) to left.  Put the ken rad that was in left driver in step#3 into the right driver.
6.  No more humming either.

WTH???

Hope you experts could give some insights.

Sounds to me like a simple re-seating of the tube would've done the trick.

Dec 20, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #29,050 of 42,298

i think jack still stocks the Sylvania fat bottle 6FD7 which is the ones i had. (i believe his are unlabeled in westinghouse boxes, regardless, they are sylvania tubes). 

its the best tube i tried to the WA6/WA6-SE, very well balanced and neutral with great bass and treble. the 6ew7 would be my second favorite.

the 6dr7 was also nice, but lacks bass.

Thank you, I've been having a hard time finding the 6FD7, I looked on eBay with no luck, then I looked on Brent Jesse Tubes and didn't see the 6DF7's, and also looked on Woo's site and there is no mention of them there either. I'm waiting for the Sylvania 6SN7WGT NOS tube which I ordered yesterday, on the advise of Frank l (thanks), but I also need the adapter from the 6DE7 to 6SN7 for this tube, but I don't see how to order just the adapters (without) the tubes from Woo's website. I did e-mail them yesterday, but I'm waiting for a response.
I also ordered another set of 6EW7's for back up, which came with my WA6, and I also happen to like their sound also, but do want to explore a bit.
BTW, I returned the 6GL7/6EM7 tubes, which just had too much overall bass for me.
I'm going to send another e-mail to Woo asking about the 6DF7 "fat bottles" today, thanks for the advise/help, I greatly appreciate it, thank you.

Dec 20, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #29,052 of 42,298
  Joseph i will forward you post to Jack. he is on vacation and back ion 12/26 but he will let me know if we have them in stock. I got you covered.

Frank, thank you very much, I wasn't going to send another e-mail because I read your post stating he was on vacation, so I knew thats why I didn't get a response.
So if you do contact him I would be looking to purchase the 6DE7 to 6SN7 adapters (for the tubes you recommended, thanks) and the 6DF7 "fat bottle" driver/power tubes. I must have sent him the e-mail to purchase the 6EW7 back up tubes while he was on vacation, because I know the 6GL7/6EM7 tubes I returned arrived at his location (I searched with the USPS tracking#), but I never received a reply/tubes from him. 
Once again, thank you very much Frank for covering me.

Dec 20, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #29,055 of 42,298
Anyone has experience with Sophia Electric grade A 6SN7 tubes on Woo amps?  I am curious about how they are compared to good NOS tubes.  Thx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back