Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
May 9, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #25,396 of 42,298
Quote:
Depends on what you want exactly. And that's without tubes

Hey, Ultra- !
You're still up?
It's the next day where you are.

Note: Glenn recommends using the Mullard GZ37 with his current 300B amps.

May 9, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #25,397 of 42,298
my friend recently got a pair of kEFF R500s and a Rotel RA-12 amp.  the setup sounds serious enough to my ears and ill be on my way down to use the wa2 as a pre amp with his rig. I just just don't know whether to go down this weekend or wait for the tube upgrades to come and then go?? i dont know if i can hold off. 
confused.gif

May 9, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #25,398 of 42,298
Quote:
Question about power tubes...

Does anyone know if the WA2 will accept a 6336A tube?  Apparently it's a super heavy duty military version of the 6080/6AS7G.

So no one is sure if the WA2 accepts the 6336A?  I've emailed Jack but he hasn't responded.

May 9, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #25,399 of 42,298
Quote:
So no one is sure if the WA2 accepts the 6336A?  I've emailed Jack but he hasn't responded.

i have no idea sorry

May 10, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #25,401 of 42,298
With the heater current at 5A per tube, you've got 10A of heater (more than double).  It's very doubtfull, but Jack will answer for sure.

Quote:

May 10, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #25,402 of 42,298
Quote:
Got my USAF-596 today and I'm listening to it going hmm...?  Maybe it's my equipment, my low end HD650.  I am saying right now it is very close to the Sophia. Bass seems to go a tad lower in certain songs, sound is very very clean though.  Feel like I am missing that slam everyone was talking about.  I'm using RCA 6SN7 with it.  My vintage Sylvania 6SN7 should be here tomorrow, looking forward to those.

I'll let everything break in for a couple days then post back.

I've had mine for two days now and while the bass goes all the way down into the basement, so far compared to the Sophia, the sound stage is smaller, singers are more forward and I hear what seems to be a small amount of harshness in the highs. It's only got about 5 hours on it so I'm going to let it cook for awhile before getting down to any serious listening.

I got the adapter from Jack and while a number of members have said they don't like the white color, my WA22 is black and to my eye the white adapter looks pretty good in between the white bases of the Treasures on either side of it. Another comment about the adapter that I've seen is that the caps on the end of the wires don't fit the pins on the tube snugly but mine are a nice, tight press fit.

May 10, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #25,406 of 42,298
Quote:
I've had mine for two days now and while the bass goes all the way down into the basement, so far compared to the Sophia, the sound stage is smaller, singers are more forward and I hear what seems to be a small amount of harshness in the highs. It's only got about 5 hours on it so I'm going to let it cook for awhile before getting down to any serious listening.

I got the adapter from Jack and while a number of members have said they don't like the white color, my WA22 is black and to my eye the white adapter looks pretty good in between the white bases of the Treasures on either side of it. Another comment about the adapter that I've seen is that the caps on the end of the wires don't fit the pins on the tube snugly but mine are a nice, tight press fit.

If the cap(s) on the Woo Audio adapter are not tight enough, take a very small jewelers screwdriver and gently pry the pin 'grabbers' closer to the center. The pins on the 596's vary a bit tube to tube. I have used Jacks adapter (as well as Glenn's) and on some tubes the fit is snug and others not so much.

May 10, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #25,407 of 42,298
Quote:
With the heater current at 5A per tube, you've got 10A of heater (more than double).  It's very doubtfull, but Jack will answer for sure.

This is what I originally thought, and of course no one really uses this tube with the WA2 but I figured I'd at least ask!  Hopefully Jack has good news...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back