Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
May 6, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #25,291 of 42,298
Quote:
Anyone know a pair of bass light tubes, the WA6SE has kinda bloated bass IMHO... Other than that its amazing, but, the bass is kinda muddy and bloated, just slightly

This is with Sophia 274b Mesh Plate if it matters.

I tried both Sylvania and Raytheon 6DE7 or 6EW7, the stock fit, no adapters.

What's your source? What DAC are you using?

May 6, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #25,293 of 42,298
Quote:
Anyone know a pair of bass light tubes, the WA6SE has kinda bloated bass IMHO... Other than that its amazing, but, the bass is kinda muddy and bloated, just slightly

This is with Sophia 274b Mesh Plate if it matters.

I tried both Sylvania and Raytheon 6DE7 or 6EW7, the stock fit, no adapters.

6FD7 might tighten the bass a bit. the 6EW7 is already a bass light tube, but the bass tends to be loose. (its a slower sounding tube with smooth highs, beautiful wide midrange with an open sound, and light yet slightly loose bass). the sophia might also have slight bass bloat to it, for me, i find the 596 and GZ34 tubes to be tighter and more controlled in the bass. 

Quote:
Thanks for the info about the tubes for the LCD-2. I'm trying to find a 596 rectifier now. I've already purchased and received the 6GL7 tubes + adapters from Jack. Are there any other tubes you guys would recommend to be used with the WA6-SE/LCD-2 pairing that I can try other than the 596/6GL7? The descriptions I've heard for the 596 sound great. I understand it may be hard to find but even if I do get one, I'm really looking forward to doing some more tube rolling so I'd love to hear about other options.

Also--I'm curious what you guys think would be the ideal Woo setup for the LCD-2's. Would a balanced WA22 setup be preferable over a single-ended WA6-SE? Or something else entirely? I'm wondering for the future, in case I decide to get something else to pair with these headphones. 

is jack out of 596 already? 

you should also check out the 6FD7 driver/power tubes and maybe the mullard GZ34 rectifier, both are quite nice with the LCD-2. the 596/6GL7 combo is very good though. 

May 6, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #25,294 of 42,298
Quote:

6FD7 might tighten the bass a bit. the 6EW7 is already a bass light tube, but the bass tends to be loose. (its a slower sounding tube with smooth highs, beautiful wide midrange with an open sound, and light yet slightly loose bass). the sophia might also have slight bass bloat to it, for me, i find the 596 and GZ34 tubes to be tighter and more controlled in the bass. 

Yeah I think it's more loose than excess, although slight excess is present I think. Do I need an adapter for 6FD7?

May 6, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #25,295 of 42,298
no adapter needed. however, im not entirely sure if the 6FD7 would sound better on the HE-5LE i have the HE-500 as a reference, but they're different sounding headphones. 

i feel like the sophia is a slightly bassy tube, but i may be wrong. 

May 6, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #25,296 of 42,298
Couldn't help but get sucked back into this thread!

I respect everyone's opinions, so don't take this as a disagreement. I had a WA22 balanced, with balanced cable going into LCD-2's. yes, the LCD's did sound better balanced, but by how much is the question, and of course, this is down to the listener. The WA22 with a balanced source was a bigger improvement I'd say, but coming from a vinyl addict such as myself, it reduces the phono stage options, which is frustrating when I wouldn't get the most of, say, a Rogue Audio Ares. So, to balance an LCD-2 with Moon Audio Black Dragon? There goes $300-$350.. To my ears it' was about 15% better, so you do the math whether you think it's worth it. Retrospectively, I'd probably would have got a WA6SE, put the change in my pocket, and bought a better phono stage. However, financial circumstances prevailed which made me sell the WA22, now I've got a Burson Soloist, and the void isn't that great, and it's got rid of my urge to tweak the damn system! If anyone is considering a move away, they should listen to this. It's the closest I've heard to great sounding solid state system... Transparency is high.

May 6, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #25,297 of 42,298
Quote:
no adapter needed. however, im not entirely sure if the 6FD7 would sound better on the HE-5LE i have the HE-500 as a reference, but they're different sounding headphones. 

i feel like the sophia is a slightly bassy tube, but i may be wrong. 

This is a weird issue, its pretty noticible, too. Is it possible that a lack of power is causing distortion? 

May 6, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #25,298 of 42,298
i was wondering of anyone could answer this question?

if the wa5 is an upgrade from wa22 why does it not have a balanced option?
does balanced = better audio or just different?

i see that woo audio only have one balanced option other than the Uber expensive wa234. 

May 6, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #25,299 of 42,298
Well, I have officially received my matched pair of black plate 6AS7G, they - without question - were the warmth I was after. They sound much better than any of the previous tubes I have purchased. If anyone is interested in buying some of those, I would give a good deal, all of them were tested new when I bought them and I have barely put any time on them. Anyway, thanks Dubstepgirl and the others for the recommendation. Couldn't be happier.

May 6, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #25,300 of 42,298
magiccabbage, they are two entirely different amps. "Balanced" doesn't mean better - it will come down the build and parts used whether SE or Balanced.

May 6, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #25,301 of 42,298
Quote:
Thanks for the info about the tubes for the LCD-2. I'm trying to find a 596 rectifier now. I've already purchased and received the 6GL7 tubes + adapters from Jack. Are there any other tubes you guys would recommend to be used with the WA6-SE/LCD-2 pairing that I can try other than the 596/6GL7? The descriptions I've heard for the 596 sound great. I understand it may be hard to find but even if I do get one, I'm really looking forward to doing some more tube rolling so I'd love to hear about other options.

Also--I'm curious what you guys think would be the ideal Woo setup for the LCD-2's. Would a balanced WA22 setup be preferable over a single-ended WA6-SE? Or something else entirely? I'm wondering for the future, in case I decide to get something else to pair with these headphones. 

Did you inquire if Jack Wu (WooAudio) had any USAF-596 rectifiers remaining?

May 6, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #25,302 of 42,298
Can changing tubes increase power output, not just gain, but shear volts. At 38ohms the WA6SE doesnt quite reach the 2w recomended.

May 6, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #25,303 of 42,298
it does with the 6CY7 and some of the other higher gain tubes. i think you'll need current more than voltage btw but yeah it does increase power output.

WA6-SE

2000mW @32Ω
1900mW @60Ω
1800mW @120Ω
1300mW @300Ω
800mW @600Ω
(with 6CY7)

May 6, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #25,304 of 42,298
Quote:

Did you inquire if Jack Wu (WooAudio) had any USAF-596 rectifiers remaining?

Jack just got back to me today. $200 with adapter for the 596 if anyone is interested.  Lucky I picked mine up for half that price a couple days ago...

May 6, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #25,305 of 42,298
Quote:
Gamma 2 via USB

Have you tried a different DAC? The BurrBrown seems to color the sound a bit IMO.

Can you try to connect via toslink? My DAC gives a slightly different sound via toslink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back