Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Mar 26, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #24,707 of 42,298
Woo virgin but long time valve nut here. I took delivery a few weeks ago of a WA22 black. I have to say it is an exceptional device but has benefitted from some break in and tube rolling.

The stock Shu Guang 274 I did not like at all. Stock 6080s were fine but got swapped quuickly. The CBS Hytron 6SN7GTBs were good. Everything has been rolled several times now and the current combination is singing sweetly.

I have had excellent results with Brimar 5R4G and some GZ tubes. I will try some GZ37 fat bottle tomorrow but currently I like the Brimar 5R4G. I have loads more '5U4Gs' to try so is early days.

Some metal base CV1988 (GEC manufacture I think) have been sublime that were boxless and hanging around. TS round plates were good and will roll some 5692 next. All of the NOS 6SN7GTs I have tried so far have been at least good.

7236 proved to be excellent as were 5998s. Amp has been transformed by GEC 6AS7Gs however, less powerful but such sweetness and delicacy.

Lots more rolling still to do but initial play have shown huge potential here. I am a fan. Looking at other Woo stuff now....

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #24,709 of 42,298
Welcome to the club. It sounds like you will fit in nicely be a very welcome addition to the Woo owners thread!

I'm a fellow WA22 owner, and have done some rolling myself. However, it sounds like you have a MUCH larger assortment to work with :). One of the things that has really suprised me, is how much changing a single component can make on which tubes work best. I recently switched DACs and am finding that tubes that I had written off and put in a drawer sound much better now than my favorites with the last DAC.

Look forward to your future rolling updates.
Quote:
Woo virgin but long time valve nut here. I took delivery a few weeks ago of a WA22 black. I have to say it is an exceptional device but has benefitted from some break in and tube rolling.

The stock Shu Guang 274 I did not like at all. Stock 6080s were fine but got swapped quuickly. The CBS Hytron 6SN7GTBs were good. Everything has been rolled several times now and the current combination is singing sweetly.

I have had excellent results with Brimar 5R4G and some GZ tubes. I will try some GZ37 fat bottle tomorrow but currently I like the Brimar 5R4G. I have loads more '5U4Gs' to try so is early days.

Some metal base CV1988 (GEC manufacture I think) have been sublime that were boxless and hanging around. TS round plates were good and will roll some 5692 next. All of the NOS 6SN7GTs I have tried so far have been at least good.

7236 proved to be excellent as were 5998s. Amp has been transformed by GEC 6AS7Gs however, less powerful but such sweetness and delicacy.

Lots more rolling still to do but initial play have shown huge potential here. I am a fan. Looking at other Woo stuff now....

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #24,711 of 42,298
Wish me luck y'all! Just sent the Wes back to Woo Audio for repair. In the meantime here's a couple shots of the setup:

Still needs a little touch up in places but there's the battlestation setup in the media room.

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #24,712 of 42,298
Quote:
Wish me luck y'all! Just sent the Wes back to Woo Audio for repair. In the meantime here's a couple shots of the setup:

You do know 
wink_face.gif
 that the next photograph you see of this WES could very well be inside my listening room, don't you?! 
biggrin.gif
 Seriously, wishing you the best of luck!

Mar 26, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #24,713 of 42,298
Quote:

Anyone tried PSVANE WE274B? How does it compare to EML or Sophia?

not much talk about this tube.

would be interesting to know since its cheaper than both.

Mar 26, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #24,715 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:

Anyone tried PSVANE WE274B? How does it compare to EML or Sophia?

not much talk about this tube.

would be interesting to know since its cheaper than both.

I have one of those. From memory, it's a very airy sound, highly detailed and euphonic, lots of separation and space to the soundstage but a bit lacking in bass/body for my tastes. I'll have to try it again at some point, if I don't like it any better I will put it in the to be sold pile. It's a very nice tube if you're into that kind of sound, it reminds me of the effect of the GEC 5U4G power tubes to some extent--which I wasn't crazy about either--but some really covet that kind of sound. Come to think of it I should combine the GECs with it and the HD800 to see if I get launched into outer space of something!

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #24,716 of 42,298
Oooooo....that sounds interesting. 
popcorn.gif

Quote:

I have one of those. From memory, it's a very airy sound, highly detailed and euphonic, lots of separation and space to the soundstage but a bit lacking in bass/body for my tastes. I'll have to try it again at some point, if I don't like it any better I will put it in the to be sold pile. It's a very nice tube if you're into that kind of sound, it reminds me of the effect of the GEC 5U4G power tubes to some extent--which I wasn't crazy about either--but some really covet that kind of sound. Come to think of it I should combine the GECs with it and the HD800 to see if I get launched into outer space of something!

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #24,717 of 42,298
Quote:
Oooooo....that sounds interesting. 
popcorn.gif

Quote:

Far out, man... 
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #24,718 of 42,298
Now that I don't have the EMLs anymore, it's probably my most euphonic rectifier. They are very different but euphonically it's close to a tie. Since I am using the WA22 mostly as a preamp now, I should give it a try with the GECs and my TSRP BG's; I think that would be my most euphonic combo and I do need to see how that would affect the rest of the chain. I'll wait until I get my turntable and Lambdas back from the shops, then it will be listening time!

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #24,719 of 42,298
How does a wa6se compare with w6. if you change all its tube to say the Sophia rectifier will it improve more its soundstaging, ambience, the aggressiveness or its transparency. Are there percentages can be said that it is 10 to 20% greater in sound quality than wa6. Will the power really change a lot in this kind of situation. I thought the newer wa6 has what you call a Pseudo-dual power supply. would they bring enough power to drive high impedance phones such as akg702 or the LCD. Or is it a must that you get wa6 se to bring the full capacity of the headphone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back