Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Feb 13, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #24,166 of 42,298
Quote:
^ very nice!

i see a d7000 cable as well there, its trying to plug itself into the amp 
tongue_smile.gif

wink_face.gif
 Good eyes!  Yup, that the D7000 tries to compete with the HD800.  Hmm...still decide with 'phones sound better.

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #24,169 of 42,298
Quote:
wink_face.gif
 Good eyes!  Yup, that the D7000 tries to compete with the HD800.  Hmm...still decide with 'phones sound better.

also noticed that your WA6-SE is switched around compared to the older version, guess Jack changed the amps appearance. ( the old WA6-SE had the power supply/amp switched around, as you can tell in other WA6-SE pictures)

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #24,170 of 42,298
Hello,

My first post in the Woo Audio thread.  I have on order a WA6, should be here in a few days.  I am torn on which DAC to get.  My budget is $150-$200.  Headphones are Audio Technia ATH-M50 & Beyer 990 Pro.

Looking at D1,
HRT Streamer II
SCHIIT MODI

Thanks guys

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #24,172 of 42,298
Quote:
My first post in the Woo Audio thread.  I have on order a WA6, should be here in a few days.  I am torn on which DAC to get.  My budget is $150-$200.  Headphones are Audio Technia ATH-M50 & Beyer 990 Pro.

Looking at D1, HRT Streamer II or SCHIIT MODI

Hi teknikk7!

2nd post I see! Well in case nobody has said it to you yet, welcome to head-fi and apologies about your wallet. 
beyersmile.png

Anyway, I can't speak for the others, but personally I have been using a Schiit Modi with a Woo WA6 and I can say that it sounds superb. Also the Modi is a bargain at $99 so it's really a great place to start. I personally don't believe DACs are very important in the chain for good SQ. Recording quality and good headphones should come equal first with a good amp being a close second depending on the headphones. DACs as a close number 3 if you have a bad soundcard and finally, I'd place cables a solid fourth.

My rig:

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #24,176 of 42,298
Hi teknikk7!
Check out Musical Fidelity's V-DAC II. It's a good buy for around $350 retail. If you can pick up an Oppo universal disc player, even better. Remember this: the music cannot sound any better than the signal coming out of your DAC. Bad DAC = Bad music. Having said that, one of the best DACs out there is in your iPod. Seriously. IPods have awesome DACs. Even the older iPods have had awesome DACs for the last ten years. I use my iPad as a DAC and it plays lossless files like a BOSS.

2nd post I see! Well in case nobody has said it to you yet, welcome to head-fi and apologies about your wallet. 
beyersmile.png

Anyway, I can't speak for the others, but personally I have been using a Schiit Modi with a Woo WA6 and I can say that it sounds superb. Also the Modi is a bargain at $99 so it's really a great place to start. I personally don't believe DACs are very important in the chain for good SQ. Recording quality and good headphones should come equal first with a good amp being a close second depending on the headphones. DACs as a close number 3 if you have a bad soundcard and finally, I'd place cables a solid fourth.

My rig:

Feb 13, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #24,177 of 42,298
Quote:

Thanks for the info.  My primary source of music comes from the computer, all FLAC and some 24/96 stuff played with foobar. I agree, the older iPods were decent, I just swapped in a 240GB Harddrive for a 5G classic and threw on Rockbox for my dad.  I have a 24Bit Sound Blaster 3Di in my Alienware.  I think it sounds horrible. I briefly had a hifiman ef2a and that little thing kicked ass playing through it's internal dac.

You think the SCHIIT MODI is better than the HRT streamer II? A lot of reviews seem to have the streamer ahead just slightly.

Feb 13, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #24,179 of 42,298
Quote:

also noticed that your WA6-SE is switched around compared to the older version, guess Jack changed the amps appearance. ( the old WA6-SE had the power supply/amp switched around, as you can tell in other WA6-SE pictures)

It's two cases connected with an umbilical - Left/right is up the individual user.  
smile_phones.gif

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #24,180 of 42,298
Quote:
Thanks for the info.  My primary source of music comes from the computer, all FLAC and some 24/96 stuff played with foobar. I agree, the older iPods were decent, I just swapped in a 240GB Harddrive for a 5G classic and threw on Rockbox for my dad.  I have a 24Bit Sound Blaster 3Di in my Alienware.  I think it sounds horrible. I briefly had a hifiman ef2a and that little thing kicked ass playing through it's internal dac.

You think the SCHIIT MODI is better than the HRT streamer II? A lot of reviews seem to have the streamer ahead just slightly.

I honestly can't speak for the HRT streamer since I've never heard it but I really think the modi is a bargain. Since your files don't go beyond 24/96, then everything is fine. I have auditioned the Schiit Bifrost and I would say that the Modi is 99% as good as the Bifrost which is 6x the price. The only real difference is that I noticed the modi was had a ever so slightly stronger treble. But even then, blind testing only produced a 60/40 accuracy. The downside is that the modi is USB supplied and does not offer any other forms of input. Funny though, my Alienware M17x laptop has a brilliant soundcard. Although it can't compare to the modi, it's really quite brilliant for a stock laptop soundcard. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back