Woo Audio 6 SE
Mar 14, 2011 at 10:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

BrucYSN

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I am currently looking for an amp for my Ath W5000, After reading reviews I decided to pick either the WA6 or the WA6 SE.
I've seen people saying that SE is obvious upgrade from standard WA6. However, someone also said that with PSPD WA6 could get "really" close to the SE verision, So I want to hear people's opinions before I buy one. I also want to know about the upgrades on WA6SE and WA6, What kinda upgrade i can get for WA6SE( besides the tube upgrade) that could make a difference( say, the preminum upgrade which costs like $450 ) I hope some one had experienced the both (upgrade/stock) can tell me if that worth the money.

Best

Bruce

Mar 15, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #3 of 11
BUMP

Mar 15, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #5 of 11
I don't know about the Wa6 but I have a Wa6se with the upgrades (just the upgrades, no stepped attenuator or the teflon sockets) + Sophia princess upgrade. I use them with akg 702s. My music is perfect, and I'm not planning on purchasing another headphone amp -  ever. Since I havent had a WA6, I can't compare... Hope this helps 
o2smile.gif

Mar 15, 2011 at 6:43 AM Post #6 of 11
You should not look at the Woo6se as being an improved Woo6. They are basically totally different amps.

I have read a couple of comments/opinions stating that a maxxed Woo6 is significantly inferior to a stock Woo6se in SQ and no upgrades to the Woo6 will bring you close to the power output of the Woo6se which is something else to take into account.

My Woo6se is stock so can't comment on the improvements the upgrades make but have heard a number of times that the upgrades don't make a big difference and can take 100's of hours to properly burn in.
I did not bother with then when I bought mine and don't regret it now.

Mar 15, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
You should not look at the Woo6se as being an improved Woo6. They are basically totally different amps.

I have read a couple of comments/opinions stating that a maxxed Woo6 is significantly inferior to a stock Woo6se in SQ and no upgrades to the Woo6 will bring you close to the power output of the Woo6se which is something else to take into account.

My Woo6se is stock so can't comment on the improvements the upgrades make but have heard a number of times that the upgrades don't make a big difference and can take 100's of hours to properly burn in.
I did not bother with then when I bought mine and don't regret it now.

Yep, this is exactly why I bought the 6SE, just read about 100 entries about just 6se was so much superior than the 6...
Ofcourse after the Sophia tube upgrade, and the upgrades, it ended up being  about 1000 dollars more than what I thought I would spend but, I can tell you this:

The difference between listening to my akg 702s through my macbook's headphone output, or apogee duet's headphone output vs wa6se is like the difference of listening to mono and stereo. Really, it is that clear..

I listen to jazz mainly, and I have never heard that much detail in cymbals and upright bass. I can actually hear the individual rivets on a ride cymbal.

Mar 15, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #8 of 11
Ye, I emailed Jack he''d give same comment, however I'm now trying to decide about the upgrades, however I'm not sure about the premium part upgrade, since it's $450, it's kinda like another WA3 lol, And I will get the tube upgrade for sure, however, if, i say if, in some cases that greedy evil take over my mind and make me go all the way, the WA6SE maxxed would some where end up like 1700 or so, which is pretty close to the WA22.... which is another problem.

But the most important is that I wanna know if the $450 upgrade really make a difference, cz , u know , jack wouldn't make post product mods. and here is the upgrade list from JACK i'll quote

"Here are some of the recommended upgraded listed in priority of high to low.

EML 5U4G Mesh plate rectifier ($260)
Sophia 274B Mesh plate rectifier ($150)
Premium parts upgrade ($450)
DACT CT2 stepped attenuator ($215)
"

On totally unirrlevent topic which DAC should i chose to pair these baby, Cambridge audio Magic or V-dac from MF?

Mar 15, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #9 of 11
As far as upgrades go, I think it has more to do with the depth of your wallet in terms of making a choice.  I personally chose to skip the premium parts upgrade and figured if I really thought that the extra couple percent of performance was needed I could always upgrade later.  I believe others had felt that the rectifier upgrade was more "bang for the buck" than the parts upgrade, but add them together and who knows?

Now I will play devil's advocate....

Black gates are becoming scarcer by the minute, so if you don't want to miss the boat, get them now!  I think I've missed my chance because after taking delivery of my Woo I am NEVER giving it up, not for an upgrade, not for nothing....cold dead hands I tell you, cold dead hands!

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #10 of 11
Jack seems really lean towards EML5u4g

Mar 16, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #11 of 11
Thats the tube I will be getting once I finally get round to it 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back