Woo Audio 3 preamp output > STAX amp
Sep 7, 2008 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

GreatDane

Headphoneus Supremus
I've never tried to use the preamp output on my W3 for any purpose yet but I have the idea to use it this way.

Would this be safe for use with my little STAX SRM-212 amp(or any amp) which is used for STAX 003? I imagine that if so I'd need to keep the volume fairly low.

If it's OK to do, it might add a desirable coloration and would allow me to use my Aphex 204 which is downstream of my W3.

Sep 7, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #2 of 4
Yes it will work, and you may like the results.

What often works best (but not always) is to turn the volume control all the way up on the STAX amp and use the Preamp to control the volume. But it may require some experimenting on your part to determine what works best for your equipment. Please let us know how you like the results ...if you do decide to try it.

Sep 7, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #3 of 4
derekbmn, thanks for your thoughts. I think I'll be trying this when I get the time to cable swap. I will post impressions for sure.

...meanwhile these little 003's are sounding very good with the 212 as is. Their inexpensive looks are deceiving.

Sep 7, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #4 of 4
I've listened for 30+ minutes swapping back and forth between the W3 and the output from my Central Station about a dozen times using the same track. I didn't use the Aphex 204 or Corda Cross-1 of course.

What I initially liked best was the straight signal from the CS because it seemed to have better detail. After several times I realized that the tubes seem to be smoothing out the upper mids but not sacrificing any detail. It's difficult for me to describe what the "tube sound" is exactly for my ears but after using my W3 for almost 3 years I hear the same improvement that I get when switching from the CS amp. My tubes simply make the music sound more natural and less fatiguing.

For now I'll be using the W3 preamp output. I didn't find much difference between maxing the W3 amp or maxing the STAX amp but the latter seems to work best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back