Wolfson DAC confirmed for Galaxy S3!
Jul 27, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #572 of 947
Jul 27, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #573 of 947
Quote:

Well, there goes its only advantage the S3 has over the One X. Oh, and the MicroSD slot...but who needs it when you already have 32GB?

A lot of people:

"I really hate touchscreens, but a Wolfson chip plus a 128gb capacity might turn my head on this baby."
http://www.head-fi.org/t/608535/wolfson-dac-confirmed-for-galaxy-s3/210#post_8402398

"Indeed, 64GB + 128GB card means I can go all FLAC on my phone (hopefully 128GB cards arrive this year, champing at the bit to replace my 64GB card)."
http://www.head-fi.org/t/608535/wolfson-dac-confirmed-for-galaxy-s3#post_8357260

Google and HTC should copy Samsung for the microSD feature and for the standard USB audio feature.

Jul 27, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #574 of 947
Jul 27, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #575 of 947
Quote:

Well, there goes its only advantage the S3 has over the One X. Oh, and the MicroSD slot...but who needs it when you already have 32GB?

I'd say it still has an advantage over the One X.

EDIT - Whenever my OTG USB cable gets here, I can try to get the FiiO E17's DAC to work with CM10. There's been a lot of audio tweaking recently and I'll be actively working on getting it to work. It can't be that hard, right? 

Jul 27, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #576 of 947
Quote:
Hate to break it to you but this is a public knowledge by now :) We all know that S3s here do not have the Wolfson chips, that's why we're talking about using standalone DACS :) 

haha just letting whoever didn't know, know. Granted it is still the best smartphone in the U.S. .. even with a dual core processor and no wolfson...

Jul 27, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #577 of 947
Quote:
haha just letting whoever didn't know, know. Granted it is still the best smartphone in the U.S. .. even with a dual core processor and no wolfson...

Debatable. What about a phone that starts with "i" and is made by a fruit?
wink.gif

Jul 27, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #582 of 947
Quote:
Danny, please state if you're using the international or US GS3 as they have different DACs. To my ears, the US GS3 has better SQ that than the international (wolfson) one.

Both are inferior to the 4S IMO, though the US one runs it close.

Unbelievable that the US version doesn't have a Wolfson.   I've been away from head-fi for too long

I think some people will prefer the sound of the Wolfson--like myself who prefer the Cowon sound over the colder/neutral sound of an iPod 5.5gen (also a wolfson)  Also, the international version which you listened to--were you using Voodoo Sound with it?  I'm pretty sure it is NECESSARY like it was necessary for the original Galaxy S

Jul 28, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #585 of 947
Upgraded to the LG8 firmware today - crackles are fixed in that one and the audio output is nicer too. Much smaller difference between S3 and S3+E7 now, I still favour the E7 sound but not enough that I would bother to carry it around for portable use if it weren't also for the headphone amplification. Once Voodoo finally hits seems like should definitely be able to ditch the E7 (whether it'll sound better than the S3+Pico is another matter I guess).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back