Wolfson DAC confirmed for Galaxy S3!
Jul 22, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #511 of 947
Quote:
If you search this thread there has been two comparrisons between the iPhone 4...one from myself, in short you should go grab a GS3 as IMO it sounds better and this is without Voodoo! 

There's been about 4 comparisons I've seen (yours, mine, Elfary's, and one other whose author can't recall), the others I've seen disagree with your finding. I've no problem with people saying what they hear, that's only right and proper, but if you're advising someone on spending a serious amount of money on a new phone I think you should point out that your opinion isn't universal. I think recommending ears-on is the best advice.

Having said that, unless the SQ is the only thing a potential buyer particularly cares about it there are dozens of reasons to buy the S3 instead of the overall inferior 4/4S.

Jul 22, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #512 of 947
Quote: Originally Posted by danny93  If you search this thread there has been two comparrisons between the iPhone 4...one from myself, in short you should go grab a GS3 as IMO it sounds better and this is without Voodoo!               There's been about 4 comparisons I've seen (yours, mine, Elfary's, and one other whose author can't recall), the others I've seen disagree with your finding. I've no problem with people saying what they hear, that's only right and proper, but if you're advising someone on spending a serious amount of money on a new phone I think you should point out that your opinion isn't universal. I think recommending ears-on is the best advice.   Having said that, unless the SQ is the only thing a potential buyer particularly cares about it there are dozens of reasons to buy the S3 instead of the overall inferior 4/4S.

I really don't think I need to point out my opinion isn't universal, as nobody's opinion is universal, i clearly stated my opinion which I am in titled to and im not alone or a minority in what I proposed (the two reviews I read comparing S3 vs iPhone 4 cake to the conclusion S3 was more enhoyable)...not sure what your point is tbh

Of course all people will never agree in one opinion, hence my humor when I hear of people such as yourself ordering DACs like the E7 for use with the S3 after getting all excited for the new Wolfson DAC and stating the difference to be miles better :confused: which IMO, and just to make this extra clear for you...it's not the universal opinion of everyone in existence, but merely my own thoughts and no body else's...is downright obsurd

Each to their own, and this is what forums are for...not telling people to go listen themselves as that is obviously not going to help anybody...but to give opinions and let that person judge where to go from there

Anyway...I look forward to more opinions on iPhone vs S3 especially when Voodoo is out...let me emphasise this again, not the universal opinion of everybody but people's thoughts on how they like the S3 when they get it

Honestly don't let this guy make you regret buying the best all in one phone and DAP in the market which has huge untapped potential!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Jul 22, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #513 of 947
Quote:

Actually the Jelly Bean USB audio implementation is NOT standard and doesn't work with any DACs that I'm aware of (my Nexus 7 failed with the E7 and E17). The S3 on the other hand works with many DACs out of the box, using CM10 you may well have broken that facility unless they preserved the Samsung-provided USB audio method.

Hmmm. That's interesting to know. I remember reading somewhere that external USB audio was native to Jelly Bean. I will do some research. I couldn't imagine the Cyanogen team taking out a feature from the phone. And I've heard nothing about it when reading about things they haven't got working yet with CM10.

Jul 22, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #514 of 947
Quote:

Actually the Jelly Bean USB audio implementation is NOT standard and doesn't work with any DACs that I'm aware of (my Nexus 7 failed with the E7 and E17). The S3 on the other hand works with many DACs out of the box, using CM10 you may well have broken that facility unless they preserved the Samsung-provided USB audio method.

Hmmm. That's interesting to know. I remember reading somewhere that external USB audio was native to Jelly Bean. I will do some research. I couldn't imagine the Cyanogen team taking out a feature from the phone. And I've heard nothing about it when reading about things they haven't got working yet with CM10.

CM10 is in incredibly early development for the GS3, i wouldn't think they would have the USB audio working so soon as it isn't a main priority for the devs considering the slight proportion of people who would actually use it, i was under the impression that is wasn't even suitable for a daily driver...maybe hold off for a while and revert back to CM9 or another Samsung based ROM like Foxhound

Jul 22, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #515 of 947
From my experience, as well as general discussion, CM10 is about as stable as a custom ROM can be, at the moment. RIL is the only thing that's iffy. But, other than that, it's pretty damn stable. Lightening fast, too.

Jul 23, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #516 of 947
From my experience, as well as general discussion, CM10 is about as stable as a custom ROM can be, at the moment. RIL is the only thing that's iffy. But, other than that, it's pretty damn stable. Lightening fast, too.

Really...may have to give it a bash :p

Jul 23, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #517 of 947
Danny, please state if you're using the international or US GS3 as they have different DACs. To my ears, the US GS3 has better SQ that than the international (wolfson) one.

Both are inferior to the 4S IMO, though the US one runs it close.

Jul 23, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #518 of 947
Quote:
Really...may have to give it a bash :p

They just updated it for Verizon. I assume the international is further along, but the new update fixed the only issue I was having. Which was data and voice being finicky together. Each dropping out and such. It's all better. 

Jul 23, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #519 of 947
Quote:
Danny, please state if you're using the international or US GS3 as they have different DACs. To my ears, the US GS3 has better SQ that than the international (wolfson) one.

Both are inferior to the 4S IMO, though the US one runs it close.

Really...thats surprising, I have the international version

The Galaxy S3 came rather close to the performance of the Sony Z1060 which I preferred to the iPhone 4 by quite some way, this may be due to me prefering a warmer sound sig which the sony and S3 share, however difference in SQ wasnt that much of a step down from the Sony Z and deffinatly not worth carrying a whole seperate device so I sold the Sony and im very happy with the S3 at the minute

Mind you Im using Playerpro with no EQ, and this to my ears was slightly better than the stock player

I find the differences in DAP´s ever so slight though, and I prefer the warmer sound sig where some may prefer a neutal/bright sound sig 

Jul 23, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #520 of 947
My knowledge of DACs is limited. Since the exact specs of the US GS3's DAC are unknown, how would you compare the international's Wolfson DAC to say a FiiO e17? I'll be testing it out today (hopefully) using the FiiO's DAC with the phone, but I'm curious.

Jul 23, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #522 of 947
Quote:
My knowledge of DACs is limited. Since the exact specs of the US GS3's DAC are unknown, how would you compare the international's Wolfson DAC to say a FiiO e17? I'll be testing it out today (hopefully) using the FiiO's DAC with the phone, but I'm curious.

Well Supercurio who tested both, said that the Wolfson in the S3 was superior by quite a margin compared with the Fiio E17 and people should not waste money on buying DAC´s to bypass the better internal Wolfson 

Patience is key...Voodoo will be out shortly, and I have high expectations from Supercurio´s reports 

Everyone has different opinion.
To my hear my japanese Z walkman sound more enjoing than the s3.
The s3 have a little bit digitalized sound
and minor soundstage.
Ciao

Yeh I wouldnt say the soundstage is lacking on the S3 at all...but the soundstage on the Walkman Z is HUGE!!!

Jul 23, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #523 of 947

The fact that the s3 has a wolfson dac is not a warranty about how it sound.
There are several good sounding dac as akm or sabre or yamaha, the dac implementation is another important things to reading.
I had a yamaha dac on my Galaxy note and to my hears it sound more natural than the S3 and the s2 (s2 has the same yamaha dac but don t sound smother as the galaxynote).
I bougth the s3 for my wife after reading good things about his sound in this and other forum.... it"s a very good phone with an eccellent camera (the best camera I ever seen on a phone) but the s3 sound is not so stellar.
Naturally this is only a personal opinion.
For listeng I use my z walkman.
Z sound more enjoing than every phone and every pod or iphone.
In any way the difference is not night and day.
Pardon my very poor english.
Ciao

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 con Tapatalk 2

Jul 24, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #524 of 947
Quote:

Well Supercurio who tested both, said that the Wolfson in the S3 was superior by quite a margin compared with the Fiio E17 and people should not waste money on buying DAC´s to bypass the better internal Wolfson 

Patience is key...Voodoo will be out shortly, and I have high expectations from Supercurio´s reports 

I think you're overstating what Supercurio actually said a little, or at least from what I saw of what he said. He said based on his measurements the E17 was inferior to the Wolfson, and he didn't suggest getting that particular DAC, as far as I'm aware he didn't make more expansive comments about using external DACs in general (I could be wrong about that, I may not have seen everything he said on the topic). He also didn't stipulate whether his Wolfson tests were using his Voodoo'd one or not, which is obviously a fairly major distinction in terms of the context of those comments.

Like you though I am really hanging out for Voodoo to come, I also have high hopes for the improvements it might bring. 

In relation to some of your earlier comments:

Firstly, in relation to the excitement about the Wolfson - my excitement about that was because Supercurio confirmed he will develop Voodoo Sound for it because it means that regardless of how neutered Samsung's implementation may or may not have turned out (factors outside the DAC affected the quality of the output) he is likely to be able to substantially improve things. That's why my excitement to use USB DACs with the S3 is completely congruous with my initial excitement, rather than being any kind of contradiction - it achieves the same end - abstracting sound from the things Samsung might have done to mess with it.

You seem to have taken my comment about your advice to the poster on the previous page... well, actually I'm not sure how, except to say that not in the spirit they were made in. I wasn't trying to put your opinion down or anything. In my mind it is one thing to give your opinion, and another to give purchasing advice. I think in the case of the latter it's important to recognise balance where there isn't consensus so that the possible purchaser isn't disappointed. It just flags that its an area of possible contention so they can do their due diligence until they are satisfied one way or the other, which seem the responsible thing to do, especially when the person has basically said that their purchasing decision is going to be finalised on that one piece of information. I'm not for a second saying that your opinion needs to be universal in order to give advice, only that I think giving balanced advise is important when opinion isn't universal. You appear to disagree and that's fine.

In relation to advising people to get their own ears-on and suggesting that isn't helping anyone, I disagree. It's not as if the S3 is vaporware like a lot of the equipment discussed here at Head-Fi, much of that other gear is next to impossible for people to audition, so I think it's not unreasonable that people will accept not getting ears-on before purchasing. Where things are to all intents and purposes freely available to try like the S3 I think it perfectly reasonable and helpful to recommend auditioning gear, particularly when clear consensus isn't available (and even more so when their purchasing decision potentially hinges on it).

Anyways, I don't think we need to clutter up the thread with discussions of this kind so that's all I have to say on the matter. Happy to try and reach a mutual understanding via PM, or simply agree to disagree.

Jul 24, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #525 of 947
It's not as if the S3 is vaporware like a lot of the equipment discussed here at Head-Fi, much of that other gear is next to impossible for people to audition, so I think it's not unreasonable that people will accept not getting ears-on before purchasing.

I'm curious, how do you audition the S3 without owning it? None of the shops I've ever been to would allow me a hands-on aside from the exceptional (protected) stand, much less let me put music on it so I actually have something to listen to, or install my player of choice (Poweramp) so I can use the EQ or whatever (and forget about Voodoo).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back