Wolfson DAC confirmed for Galaxy S3!
Jun 18, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #391 of 947
Is this it???

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1708763

Anyone got step by step instruction for a stock S3 to patch into this kernel and use the Voodoo player? Many thanks!!

Jun 18, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #392 of 947
Interesting, not Supercurio's actual S3 version, but a re-packed older version. Seems like the kernel causes issues with calling, as in you can't hear the other person at all. Might wait a little longer.

Little something for the gamers here, video demo and 'how-to' guide for NOVA3 on an HDTV controlled wirelessly via a PS3 controller: 

Jun 18, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #393 of 947
Quote:
Perhaps someone can tell from the specs for the Wolfsons which is better? I know that doesn't mean that one device doesn't implement the components better than the other, but would be a starting point for comparison...
http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/products/codecs/WM8960/
http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/products/audio_hubs/WM1811/

Unfortunately I don't have the technical skills to tell from looking at the specs. However I'm sure there are many members on here who can. First link is the wolfson which is probably in the Cowon Z2 (it was in the D3). Second link is for the Wolfson in the S3. Thanks to anyone willing to check the specs and confirm which is superior etc.

thanks for the effort so far!!!

Jun 19, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #394 of 947
Quote:
thanks for the effort so far!!!

No worries. To be honest I was somewhat irked that not one person tried to comment on your question on either thread or would take the time to look at the 2 links for the DACs and give an opinion. Anyway, i did some quick research and I know that the higher the SNR, the better the quality. In that case, the S3 has a slightly higher SNR than the Z2's DAC (98 vs 100). Unfortunately, I'm too 'noob' to know if the extra 2db is a significant or not.

Also, both are 24bit I think so are equal there.

Not sure if the wording on the Wolfson site is a clue too:
Z2's DAC:

Quote:
The WM8960 is a low power, high quality stereo CODEC designed for portable digital audio applications.

S3's DAC:

Quote:
The WM1811 is a highly integrated ultra-low power hi-fi CODEC designed for smartphones and other portable devices rich in multimedia features.

TBH, I'd still be really happy if a headfier who has MUCH more knowledge and experience with audio tech could comment on which DAC is better:
http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/products/codecs/WM8960/
http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/products/audio_hubs/WM1811/

What I will say is that Cowon have probably implemented their DAC better than Samsung and will drive headphones better. However, if you have lower resistance cans (<35ohm) then this might not be an issue. Perhaps post in the Z2 review thread and see if someone there has the option of doing some A/B real world listening tests on the Cowon Z2 vs the S3.

I guess perhaps people who are eager to get some more info will need to wait since the S3 is quite new and quite hard to obtain.

Jun 22, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #395 of 947
Quote:
To be honest I was somewhat irked that not one person tried to comment on your question on either thread or would take the time to look at the 2 links for the DACs and give an opinion. Anyway, i did some quick research and I know that the higher the SNR, the better the quality. In that case, the S3 has a slightly higher SNR than the Z2's DAC (98 vs 100). Unfortunately, I'm too 'noob' to know if the extra 2db is a significant or not.

The reason why people are not replying is because of this...

You could have the best possible DAC from a $5000 Hi-fi system but if its implemented badly a $5 DAC from 10 years ago could sound better if it was implemented right so the slight and i mean ever so slight difference in the quality between the two DACs from the same company is totally negligible hence why there is no point even discussing it..the only way you could gain a good opinion on which sounds better is if you have heard both 

Jun 26, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #396 of 947
Still no news of Supercurio's latest development?? 

Any speculation on the progress?? The headphone out is too weak to drive my cans, and they are currently only good for IEMs: (

How long did you guys have to wait for the first galaxy to have voodoo support?

Jun 26, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #397 of 947
Quote:
Still no news of Supercurio's latest development?? 

Any speculation on the progress?? The headphone out is too weak to drive my cans, and they are currently only good for IEMs: (

How long did you guys have to wait for the first galaxy to have voodoo support?

Well if you dont mind rooting, you can install a custom kernel that has audio hacks (from Supercurio himself) this increases the output from the headphone out so you can enjoy headphones etc! 

And if you go this route, you can still return back to stock with absolutly no issues...just make sure you write down what firmware you are on now, and/or make a backup via CWM...there is loads of info on XDA but if you dont know what to do I could step you through it! 

if you need any help then let me know via PM...there are loads of ROM´s out know so just take your pic of one you like the look of http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=26583654#post26583654

If you like the feaures of Samsung like Svoice and the ripple to unlock etc the choose one from the [size=x-large]SAMSUNG BASED CUSTOM ROMS[4.0.4] [/size] section! 

Jun 26, 2012 at 7:43 AM Post #398 of 947
Thanks Danny!

I am a super newbie when it comes to android OS. 

IS the kernel different from voodoo?? I was told that voodoo should maximize the sound quality of the phone. 

Greedy me, I am looking for an SQ improvement as well as increase in volume. 

Also,.. I remember reading there is a way of rooting without voiding the warranty somewhere... so I guess there's very low risk trying.

Once again, Thanks a million: )

Jun 26, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #399 of 947
Listening right now my SGS3 (international version) with JVC FXT90. It is not that bad, but for some reason a bass is recessed. And FXT90 is not a bottleneck here...

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #402 of 947
Quote:

IS the kernel different from voodoo?? I was told that voodoo should maximize the sound quality of the phone. 

Also,.. I remember reading there is a way of rooting without voiding the warranty somewhere... so I guess there's very low risk trying.

yeh kernel is different from Voodoo (is an app) but most custom kernels have tweaks included (better battery, faster performance etc) and this Siyah kernel has implemented some form of Voodoo but I only think its a "loundness" hack and no extra SQ is gained...supercurio is the develeper for Voodoo and he is still currently working on it for it to work on the S3 so we need to be patient but full Voodoo support will be here soon enough...but in the mean time another audio hack works well for me :) 

Rooting your phone does void the warranty with respect to if you went to the shop where you bought it or took it to Samsung they would not help you if you were rooted! However it is extremely easy to return to a stock form where they wouldnt know you had rooted, so you warranty will be fine! A tutorial is available here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8Tga_yKywc&feature=player_embedded

you can also make your phone look cool too...like this http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1708371 and it is incredibly easy...I could step you through it, but you really only need to do about 3 things haha!

shot me a PM if you have any questions at all an I will be happy to help...and I have a load of free time ATM as I just finished school haha 
biggrin.gif

anyone able to rank the GS3, Xperia S, and Iphone 4S in terms of SQ
I'm choosing between the GS3 and Xperia S, with value in mind (480 $ for sony vs. 680 for GS3)

Well if I were you I would wait until Voodoo is out for the S3 which shouldnt be long as that will almost deffinatly increase teh SQ from the S3 which is pretty good stock! 

With the S3 you will be getting a better phone than the Xperia S with regard to hardware...but I am the first guy to admit the S3 really isnt worth £500 and the only reason I dont mind paying this premium is because I didnt like carrying around a DAP and phone so now I got it all in one with the best phone out now IMO, but as I say it is a hell of allot to be paying out for a phone that is going to be redundant in a few years at most!, but nothing else really compares IMO 

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #403 of 947
Quote:
Thanks Danny!

Once again, Thanks a million: )

voodoo support  could be implemented into the kernel,because on my galaxytab10.1 without buying voodoo the free version has to have support for voodoo. 

also see if the app volume+ works i know it boosted the heck out of my rear speaker and it can boost the jack output.

message me if you need any help, my s3 should be arriving in July darn Verizon for making me wait longer

Jun 26, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #404 of 947
Quote:

Well if I were you I would wait until Voodoo is out for the S3 which shouldnt be long as that will almost deffinatly increase teh SQ from the S3 which is pretty good stock! 

With the S3 you will be getting a better phone than the Xperia S with regard to hardware...but I am the first guy to admit the S3 really isnt worth £500 and the only reason I dont mind paying this premium is because I didnt like carrying around a DAP and phone so now I got it all in one with the best phone out now IMO, but as I say it is a hell of allot to be paying out for a phone that is going to be redundant in a few years at most!, but nothing else really compares IMO 

Yeah I don't think it is worth it either, but I mean if the Xperia S can suffice as a DAP around the same caliber as the Iphone 4S then that should do for me. 

Jun 26, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #405 of 947
Quote:
Yeah I don't think it is worth it either, but I mean if the Xperia S can suffice as a DAP around the same caliber as the Iphone 4S then that should do for me. 

Well I havent read anything on the Xperia S directly but I have read that Sony´s SQ in their smartphones is no wear near as good as thier dedicated DAP´s like the Sony Walkman Z which I did have (and is better than the iPhone 4 IMO) but if I was to go back a few weeks and make the decision if i should sell my Walkman Z and Galaxy SII and get teh S3 then I would 100% nothing else compares in a complete package but for £500 I was expecting a little more...dont know what but you know when you just get that feeling...

Im just trying to put out a rational opinion, and if your expecting some crazy unbelievable improvements that justify the extra $$$ in getting the S3 I just think you will be dissapointed, although I can almost certainly say that when Voodoo comes out it will have better SQ than the Xperia, and probably stock going by the slight difference in the Walkman Z and S3 and what people were saying there was BIG improvements in Walkman Z and sony smartphones! I know its not a direct A/B but its better than nothing in trying to put thinks in perspective

I know I havent really helped in making your decision...but I hope you will be a bit better informed in what your hard earned cash will get you! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back