Without my Maverick D2 everything sounds like garbage..
Mar 23, 2012 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kskwerl

Headphoneus Supremus
So I sold my Maverick D2 to upgrade to a better DAC and until I get paid the 28th I'm out of a DAC. I hooked the Schiit Lyr up via RCA to Line-In to my onboard on my computer and theres just a lot of static/hissing. I'm using some check walmart RCA to Line-In but I'm assuming there would always be some static/noise in the background with a DAC?

Thanks!

Mar 24, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #2 of 5
I don't really understand the question. So you hooked up a 6watt HP amp to your computers line in?
Let me assume that you hooked up your computers on board output to your HP amp so you can listen to music...
I am not surprised you get static. It could be caused by numerous things, such as bad grounding from poor onboard design.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
I don't really understand the question. So you hooked up a 6watt HP amp to your computers line in?
Let me assume that you hooked up your computers on board output to your HP amp so you can listen to music...
I am not surprised you get static. It could be caused by numerous things, such as bad grounding from poor onboard design.
Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Yea but regardless of the 6watts it was the same with my Maverick A1 which I had to use rca to line-in with no DAC cause my job doesn't allow me to spend that much money at one time. So now until I get paid again on the 28th I have no DAC. I was just wondering if it's like this in every situation without a DAC and only using an amp with rca to line-in.

Mar 25, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
Yea but regardless of the 6watts it was the same with my Maverick A1 which I had to use rca to line-in with no DAC cause my job doesn't allow me to spend that much money at one time. So now until I get paid again on the 28th I have no DAC. I was just wondering if it's like this in every situation without a DAC and only using an amp with rca to line-in.

Assuming by "RCA to line in" you are referring to a computer on-board 1/8" audio output into the RCA inputs on Maverick.
Every thing that converts digital to analog has DAC.  The on-board audio on the computer, any sound card, or your dedicated DAC all have DACs.  What makes a particular unit prone to static could be many different factors.  You already know that connecting your quality DAC doesn't produce much noise into the headphones.  The source of the noise is likely the source that you connected (in this case on-board audio). I have heard a number of on-board audio outputs that are pretty dirty.  You can verify this by connecting headphones or speakers to the on-board audio.
You are probably noticing it easily because you are using a nice headphone amp and nice headphones.  Hook up the on-board audio with average headphones and it may not be that easy to tell.

Mar 25, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
Assuming by "RCA to line in" you are referring to a computer on-board 1/8" audio output into the RCA inputs on Maverick.
Every thing that converts digital to analog has DAC.  The on-board audio on the computer, any sound card, or your dedicated DAC all have DACs.  What makes a particular unit prone to static could be many different factors.  You already know that connecting your quality DAC doesn't produce much noise into the headphones.  The source of the noise is likely the source that you connected (in this case on-board audio). I have heard a number of on-board audio outputs that are pretty dirty.  You can verify this by connecting headphones or speakers to the on-board audio.
You are probably noticing it easily because you are using a nice headphone amp and nice headphones.  Hook up the on-board audio with average headphones and it may not be that easy to tell.

Thanks, that clears things up a bit! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back