Wireless w/ digital output
Aug 27, 2008 at 6:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

JamesL

1000+ Head-Fier
I just saw this on woot.. (aug. 27), and apparently, for $55.. it takes a analog signal from your headphone out, converts it to digital, sends it to the receiver wirelessly, and then converts it back to analog to use with your speaker/headphones..
This takes the already pretty bad signal from your computer, and degrades it even further.

Is it possible to get digital audio output via usb or spdif from the computer, and feed it to a external dac across the room?

Aug 27, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #2 of 8
not sure if this is exactly what you're asking, but apple airport express has optical out and supports audio streaming through the wireless network.... so you could put that across the room and stream the data wirelessly then have it go through the optical out into the dac essentially causing no data degradation

Aug 27, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #3 of 8
How far are we talking? It is something like 15 ft. where you can't go any further with USB and less for optical.

Aug 29, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 8
Well, the Airport Express is really a miniature wireless router in itself. It utilizes the 802.11 network to stream music from iTunes to its analog/optical output (it's compounded in the same jack). There were reviews about using this to set up a wireless streaming system starting a few years back, though I've never purchased one myself. As far as bit-perfect output goes (through the optical output), it was solid according to the reviews. But, if i recall correctly, there were limitations in which you had to use iTunes (I think) and that the device was not built for extended and continuous use resulting in some devices malfunctioning after a year or so. Can anyone confirm?

Aug 29, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #5 of 8
yaeh it would make sense that it would be tied to itunes. seems kinda weird that it would break down so fast though. is it the wireless that craps out or the optical out?

Aug 29, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #6 of 8
Don't quote me on this one, but I recall reading somewhere that there is a utility of some sort that allows all audio to be streamed to the Airport Express, but I'm not sure whether it is designed for mac or PC. As for the device breaking down, I would assume it's the wireless that has difficulty maintaining a continuous audio stream. Once again, this is outdated information from an older model of the device. I would assume the new revision (w/ 802.11n) should have improved upon these issues. Can anyone provide a bit more information? Thanks in advance.

Aug 29, 2008 at 8:30 AM Post #7 of 8
You can stream over WLAN to an AirPort Express and use its digital (optical) out to feed an external DAC.

Aug 29, 2008 at 9:21 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't quote me on this one, but I recall reading somewhere that there is a utility of some sort that allows all audio to be streamed to the Airport Express, but I'm not sure whether it is designed for mac or PC.

one product (available both Mac & Win) is Airfoil from Rogue Amoeba.

Rogue Amoeba - Choose Airfoil for Mac or Airfoil for Windows

In my experience, works very well. Generally solid reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back