Wireless Headphones
Jan 7, 2013 at 2:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Jharries

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for some good wireless headphones for listening to music while walking around or shopping, and was trying to decide between the Parrot Zik and the Logitech UE 9000. I was wondering what the general consensus was towards which is better?

To be more clear, the music I listen to is mostly bass-heavy though I do listen to a good deal of acoustic and rock as well...

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #2 of 16
I'm thinking I gathered up all the problems for the Parrot Zik's and the UE 9000's according to reviews from all over the internet

Parrot Zik
- Low Battery Life (6 hours with all features enabled)
- Dependant on the App to make them sound good
- When plugged in with 3.5mm cable audio quality take a big hit
- Random pauses while listening to music
- Talking while using the microphone sounds muffled

Logitech UE 9000
- Audio leakage
- Battery power needed whether using them wireless or wired
- Very bass-heavy
- Heavier than most headphones

The UE 9000's seem to have less flaws, though some of them are more serious than the flaws that the Zik's suffer from, is there anyone out there who has tried one or both and can comment on these supposed problems?

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #3 of 16
The UE9000 is a more audio-focused headphone than the Zik. If you like big design and features, go with the Parrot. If music overrides it all, go with the Logitech.

Jan 7, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:
The UE9000 is a more audio-focused headphone than the Zik. If you like big design and features, go with the Parrot. If music overrides it all, go with the Logitech.

Of all the above listed flaws I found the UE 9000 to have the one that worried me the most was the audio leakage, because I normally listen to a lot of electronic at relatively high volumes and I really don't want to be walking around or waiting for my college classes to start and have people telling me to turn down my music... Do you know if it's a severe problem or just a little audio leakage that's barely noticeable?

EDIT: What is the difference in sound between the two because I've heard that the Zik's have pretty good sound, though they sound terrible with the 3.5mm plugged in when they are dead?

Jan 7, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #5 of 16
Decision Made!
I'm going to stop worrying about the small stuff, since I'm recently seen reviews saying that the audio leakage on the UE 9000's is minimal, so I've just decided to go with those since they seem better in most ways compared to the Zik's though gizmodo seems to think the Zik's are better than the UE 9000's and the Sennheiser MM550-X, though I think that was because of all the Zik's cool features, which to me don't seem worth it if you don't have good audio quality...

I figure, worst case scenario, if the UE 9000's aren't what I'm looking for, I can always return them and get the Zik's instead, and if those don't measure up, do the same; hopefully one last time; and settle on some simpler, wired Sennheiser Momentums.

Jan 8, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #6 of 16
Yeah, if you order from Amazon (or any retailer that cares at all about its customers), you can just return them and get the Zik if you don't like them. I doubt you will, though
beyersmile.png

Feb 17, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #8 of 16
UE9000s...they sound as good wireless as they do wired. In passive mode with the cable, they sound better than my (now sold) Ultrasone Ed. 8s. Simply out standing IMO!

Feb 20, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:
In passive mode with the cable, they sound better than my (now sold) Ultrasone Ed. 8s.

Do you really think they sound that good? I guess not everyone shares that opinion with you, or we'd be hearing a whole lot more about them.

Feb 20, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
Do you really think they sound that good? I guess not everyone shares that opinion with you, or we'd be hearing a whole lot more about them.

I think not many have actually heard them. You don't see any/many negative opinions about them. Did you read Tyll's review of them? Heck, they were so good they made his "Wall of Fame". And I agree with him.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/surprisingly-good-logitec-ue6000-and-ue9000

Construction/sound/feature wise they are better than the $2000 Ed.8LE's that I previously owned. Heck, I like them more than the beyer DT1350 and Senn Momentums.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I got to hear the Parrot Zik's again today. Comfort was pretty bad with my head. I couldn't get the earcups to come down fully and cover my ears. The noise cancelling was good (like the UE9000, but not QC15 great). The imaging was a bit wider than the UE9000s, but the sound (treble) was a bit artificial to my ears. So I stand by my vote after hearing them side by side for a second time today.

Feb 21, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:
I think not many have actually heard them. You don't see any/many negative opinions about them. Did you read Tyll's review of them? Heck, they were so good they made his "Wall of Fame". And I agree with him.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/surprisingly-good-logitec-ue6000-and-ue9000

Construction/sound/feature wise they are better than the $2000 Ed.8LE's that I previously owned. Heck, I like them more than the beyer DT1350 and Senn Momentums.

I agree that they're great, but I think the ED8 comparison was a bit much. However, I've only briefly heard the Ultrasone, so I'll reserve judgement for another day.

I do agree that they beat out the Senns, but I have a soft spot for the DT1350.

Feb 21, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #12 of 16
The Edition 8 are not for everyone's tastes. They sound like cr@p without a proper amp as well. 

Feb 21, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:
I agree that they're great, but I think the ED8 comparison was a bit much. However, I've only briefly heard the Ultrasone, so I'll reserve judgement for another day.

I do agree that they beat out the Senns, but I have a soft spot for the DT1350.

I really don't think the comparison is a bit much. The UE9000s just sound (and measure) better. Heck they measure substantially better than the Ed.8s.

Oct 16, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #14 of 16
From my point of view,
Parrot zik is high-tech consumer electronic product
UE9000 is bluetooth headphones

Hope there are some headphones to combine all the good stuffs together, great design, state of art technology (aac, aptX, nfc, touch) and most important great sound.

Oct 16, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #15 of 16
Having owned and sold both. I would suggest neither. I started my audiophile journey that same way and decided that the SOUND was the most important factor and neither were anywhere near audiophile grade headphones. The UE9000 were was too bass heavy and the Parrot Zik's with the app are a consumer toy and when you start to use the app the sound becomes way too artificial sounding. Remember with Bluetooth you are compressing the sound and the sound will suffer.

My suggestion is look into IEMs. Sure you still have a cable but the sound from the Westone 4rs or Shure SE535 is far far better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back