Wireless Computer controller for projection system
Aug 12, 2004 at 6:47 AM Post #2 of 4
item 1: BEEFY remote. Any remote from any device that has a BEEFY infrared signal. Easy way to see would be to get a digital camera and have someone point the remote at you from far away and push buttons. whichever is brightest on the digicam screen is the most powerful (digital camera recievers extend into the IR range and typically display it as white onscreen and in pics)

item 2: any generic ir reciever for the PC. There are a bunch of $5 auctions on ebay for a "creative PC-dvd" remote and it comes with a generic reciever. Either go with that or whatever's cheap.

item 3: girder. it's the most adaptable IR interface program, it's free, and you can use any remote with it. Then you're all set.

Aug 12, 2004 at 5:18 PM Post #3 of 4
80 feet is going to be waaaay too far for an IR remote. Unless you can extend the IR receiver closer to where you will be. Of course, not to mention that IR requires line of sight. It won't go through walls.

Your best bet will be an RF based one. My favorite one is Gyration Gyro mouse and keyboard. They have longer range "Pro" versions, I know they are supposed to be able to do 50 feet, but not sure if they have a longer range one. And everyone's estimates are very generous. you will be lucky to get even 3/4 of that range.

-Ed

Aug 12, 2004 at 5:25 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
80 feet is going to be waaaay too far for an IR remote. Unless you can extend the IR receiver closer to where you will be. Of course, not to mention that IR requires line of sight. It won't go through walls.

Your best bet will be an RF based one. My favorite one is Gyration Gyro mouse and keyboard. They have longer range "Pro" versions, I know they are supposed to be able to do 50 feet, but not sure if they have a longer range one. And everyone's estimates are very generous. you will be lucky to get even 3/4 of that range.

-Ed

I dunno man, I've seen professors in some of the auditoriums here that have IR remotes for powerpoint and they can easily do 60-70'. (prof wanders around the room)... Only reason I'm skeptical about RF would be that none of the RF devices I've used have had a reasonable range... (at most 20')

Users who are viewing this thread

Back