Wire for AudioEngine 5 Speakers & Cable to Musiland 02
Mar 21, 2010 at 1:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Architeuthis

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to upgrade from the wire that came with the speakers, maybe at MonoPrice.com.....
This wiring is 16AWG. Do I need to get 16 or would something else be better? MonoPrice has 12, 14, 16 and 18 AWG.

I also would like to get a better cable that runs from my Musiland 02 to the AudioEngines, but don't know if I need 2.5 or 3.5 mm.
Thanks for any help.
55961.jpg

Mar 21, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #2 of 9
The 3.5mm is the correct one. I just purchased the exact same cable. As for speaker wire. You could just shorten the stock one... reducing the need for a larger guage.

Mar 22, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #3 of 9
I had Lee at Cryoparts make me a very nice custom cable for my AE-5's with the configuration above. If interested, it's pictured on their website.

Mar 22, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Architeuthis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is the quality of the AudioEngine 5 power cord cable?
Could there be any benefit to using something from MonoPrice.com?
power cord cables @ MonoPrice.com

Quality is good and is very likely the same cable you'd get from monoprice. (Or at least very similar)

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for your help, guys....MonoPrice has good deals, it seems, so figured I should explore the options there. I'm also very new to the area of audio products, so any help is appreciated.

Would adding an extension to the power cord likely degrade sound quality?

Any other opinions on speaker wire?
Speaker Wire @ MonoPrice.com

Mar 26, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Architeuthis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your help, guys....MonoPrice has good deals, it seems, so figured I should explore the options there. I'm also very new to the area of audio products, so any help is appreciated.

Would adding an extension to the power cord likely degrade sound quality?

Any other opinions on speaker wire?
Speaker Wire @ MonoPrice.com

Adding an extension to the power cord should make no audible difference.

Since you are not looking at a long distance between your two speakers, you would be fine with somethign like 16awg.

Mar 26, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #8 of 9
Upon further reflection if you don't need a lot of cable for your A5's, why don't you go with some Canare speaker wire? Regardless of what you may or may not believe about the impact of cables on your system, it is very well regarded and pretty damn cheap. Redco Audio The 4s11 is the one that gets a lot of good reviews, but you don't need anything that thick. The 4s6 should even be fine if you use two conductors for each of positive and negative. 2 20awg conductors is the equivalent of about 17awg, which for short runs should be fine. This way you don't have to buy a 50 or 100 foot spool of wire.

Mar 26, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #9 of 9
And really, going to Monoprice cables isn't going to improve anything but perhaps the build quality of the cables. Since they are so cheap, you can't really hurt yourself, but don't expect audible changes if that was what you are expecting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back