wine
Oct 2, 2004 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

19lexicon78

500+ Head-Fier
i'm drinking a rose now..cheapy cheapy one...but tastefull..

i'm not a wine expert..more whisky, but that hobby is getting too much $$$.

some recommendations about the best for the buck wine..i can't afford the expensive ones; le pin, petrus..forget those..just the daily use ones
biggrin.gif

so, below, let's say 10 usd...

greets,

stan

Oct 2, 2004 at 8:12 PM Post #2 of 14
I have found that Australian wines, particularly Shiraz, offer a pretty good bottle of wine for the price. They can generally be had for under $10. YMMV

Oct 2, 2004 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfense
I have found that Australian wines, particularly Shiraz, offer a pretty good bottle of wine for the price. They can generally be had for under $10. YMMV

Agreed - Shiraz is an easy grape to make a very nice dark Red wine out of - and the Australians do it well. Penfolds (variety of prices) and Yellowtail (very cheap!) are pretty good for their respective price brackets.

-dd3mon

Oct 2, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 14
i have drunk alot of australian wine..i think those wines are too strong...13%..same as the south-african wines...my preferred wines come from spain (bodegas) and france..

but i must admit, sometimes...there is a beautifull australian, more south-african wine....but my memory is !@!@/drunk too remember those...
frown.gif

Oct 2, 2004 at 9:32 PM Post #5 of 14
I have tasted some excellent local German and French wines when I was in Europe. It is amazing the quality you can get for a very low price if you look around a bit. Most of these wines are for local consumption and never are exported. I have also had some very food wines from South America that are inexpensive here.

If I lived where you do I would take the train and go on a weekend shopping spree every month or so to different areas. I really enjoyed traveling by train as it is so convenient and the stops are often right in the middle of small towns.

Oct 2, 2004 at 9:56 PM Post #6 of 14
my family was once in the elzas and bought alot of a particular elzasser wine...

oooo, became one of my favourites...

only problem, they don't sell this one in the netherlands...

buying a train ticket to the elzas or germany costs 100-200 euro...too expensive..i think..

yes, there are many good wine-regions..especially in france....but those prices in france or in the netherlands aren't much different..

Oct 2, 2004 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 14
For French wine I'd recommend Bordeaux from St. Emillion which is an area that produces excellent red wine. The cheaper ones run for around 10-15 Euros and usually are of high quality. Very round taste.

For Italian wine I personally like Chianti Classico a lot. If possible try to find a wine with a **** as seal. This a sign of high quality Chianti Classico. An excellent growing area for Chianti Classico is the Panzano region. Great red wine from the tuscany! Costs a bit more than the Bordeaux, especially from Panzano but worth its price.

South African White wine is very nice. "Neil Ellis" shouldn't be too expensive if you can find one (costs around $20 in restaurants, so it should be around $10 in stores). I liked this wine a lot. Not too fruity, yet fresh in taste.

Oct 2, 2004 at 10:33 PM Post #8 of 14
yes, chianti is a lovely one..perhpas i didn't have the one you have drunk..

but, the last months i have a preference for the wines from spain..

oviedo..a rose...oouchhh...i have that one in a restaurant...till, now, my favourite rose..

Oct 2, 2004 at 10:40 PM Post #9 of 14
Very true. For cheaper wines, Australian is the way to go.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfense

Oct 3, 2004 at 1:10 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by 19lexicon78

so, below, let's say 10 usd...

Hi Stan,

I was intrigued by the difficulties that your question was going to face. An euro guy receiving advices from an australian on the best price for italian wine... What a tarification nightmare....
biggrin.gif

Since each country has is own list and the proper book that review them:

http://www.linternaute.com/comparati...trecommentaire

Amicalement

Oct 3, 2004 at 3:48 AM Post #11 of 14
19lexicon78: Personally, I'm not much into French wines, especially not Bordeaux - too heavy for my taste. To me these mostly taste like drinking a carpet.
wink.gif
I like the more fruity ones from Italy and Spain, especially Riojas (also in several Riserva stages), Montepulcianos, Rosso di Montalcinos and especially Rosso Coneros (not as great as Brunellos, but very nice for the price, I'd claim).

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Oct 3, 2004 at 12:51 PM Post #12 of 14
thanx guys for your advice.

that book: le guide des... seems interesting for the french wines

perhaps our "local" bookstore has that one..

yes lini, the riojas and also the bodegas are very good wines..actually i also prefer them more than the french

Oct 3, 2004 at 3:42 PM Post #13 of 14
There is a wine importer in Berkeley Calif called Kermit Lynch who imports many lesser known French wines. Most are southern and Rhone wines and are not too expensive. He wrote an excellent book that talks about the wines and winemakers. It's available in English and French and I believe it's called Mes Aventures dans le Vignoble de France in French andthe title in English is Adventures on the Wine Route:a Wine Buyers Tour of France.
Highly recommended and some excellent and reasonably priced wines.
CPW

Oct 3, 2004 at 9:16 PM Post #14 of 14
Pouring up the wine from yesterday/
It tastes the same today/
Awakes the lynx in me/

From one of my favorites songs; Travelogue from Kashmir's second album Cruzential.

I don't like wine a whole lot, but I can drink white- and rose wine if there's nothing better (read shots or beers.)
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back