Windy and Carl and other music to study to. What do you like?
Mar 15, 2004 at 4:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

stuartr

Loyal member of Team Useful Post.
I am currently listening to Windy and Carl's Consciousness -- the best CD I have ever heard to study to. it is ambient, and somewhat droning, and pretty enough to be contemplative and not grating. At the same time, you are able to zone out to it, more than just being forced to listen attentively to it. I find it extremely useful to study to. Their album Antartica is also great for this. Good for naps and/or sex as well. Does anyone else have music that they could suggest in this genre?
In a different genre, I find that Anaour Brahem's Les Pas de Chat Noir is also excellent music for this, though it is more likely to impel you to listen to the music.

What about nature sounds? I have tried to find these, but I never knew which ones to buy or where to get them...I would be more interested in extremely well recorded ones that don't simply loop the tracks after a few minutes...
What do you guys recommend?

Mar 15, 2004 at 4:11 AM Post #2 of 10
the rock soundtrack
the donnie darko soundtrack
robert miles - dreamland
symphonic led zeppelin
strung out on ok computer

hmmm... those are the one's that come to mind. i've got symphonic led zeppelin on right now.

edit: and now i've just popped in the royal tennenbaums soundtrack.

15 hours and 45 minutes till my histology final so back to work...

Mar 15, 2004 at 6:16 AM Post #5 of 10
Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Stars of the Lid is one of my favorites in the genre (deep/spacey/droning ambient). Like Windy & Carl, they actually make their stuff with guitars, I think.

Another one of my favorite drone-bient artists is Troum (aka Maeror Tri) who ALSO make their drones mostly with guitar. It's very relaxing. If you can find anything by them, I bet you'll enjoy it.

If you want to try metal guitar-drone (that is, guitar-drone performed by metal musicians... lots of relaxing amplifier feedback!) try Earth, especially "2 (Super Low Frequency Version)" or anything by Sunn O))).

Also, if you want to try some more "avant-garde" drone artists, try Organum, Jonathan Coleclough, or the Hafler Trio.

- Chris

Mar 15, 2004 at 6:54 AM Post #6 of 10
I found some legal mp3's for stars of the lid, and I think they are really good. I will pick up the album next chance I get. It's just what I was looking for...

By the way, I will give them 100 bucks if their track Piano Aquieu is not a variation of one of Shostakovich's preludes...the resemblence is uncanny.

Mar 16, 2004 at 4:30 AM Post #7 of 10
Windy and Carl - Drawing of Sound
Loren MazzaCane Connors - Airs
John Oswald - Greyfolded (Grateful Dead via Plunderphonics)
Charalambides - Houston

Mar 17, 2004 at 5:31 AM Post #9 of 10
also some minimal music could be a solid crutch for your attention, for example:
steve reich - music for 18 musicians

Aug 9, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #10 of 10
Consciousness is beautiful. I'm tempted to say Depths (1998) is better and more resounding but both are so personal and lovely.

Other good ones: 

Stars of the Lid - Ballasted Orchestra / Avec Laudenum 
 Kyle Bobby Dunn - A Young Person's Guide / Fragments & Compositions 
 Arvo Part - Tridion / Te Deum
 Loscil - Endless Falls
 Christopher Hipgrave
 Erik Satie - Piano Works 
 Aix Em Klemm 

<3
j

Users who are viewing this thread

Back