Windows Vista will be better for audiophiles?
Mar 19, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
death to windows

long live the penguin!

Can't say about Linux. But I have tried running my Waveterminal U24 under FreeBSD, using foobar2000@wine, the sound is noticeable better than running in Windows -> ASIO -> foobar2000. I still have no idea why.
confused.gif

Guys please try FreeBSD.
orphsmile.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 6:54 AM Post #17 of 28
FreeBSD is definitely where its at.
rs1smile.gif

Is it really worth it to run Foobar2k in Wine?

Mar 19, 2006 at 12:39 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Malus
FreeBSD is definitely where its at.
rs1smile.gif

Is it really worth it to run Foobar2k in Wine?

I'm addicted to FB2K.
eggosmile.gif

Other applications should sound the same in FreeBSD. But I can't find a worthy replacement for FB2K yet...

Mar 19, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikechai
I'm addicted to FB2K.
eggosmile.gif

Other applications should sound the same in FreeBSD. But I can't find a worthy replacement for FB2K yet...

I've been using amaroK. I believe gapless and Replaygain should be working in 1.4, which are the only two features I really need.

Mar 20, 2006 at 12:33 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Malus
I've been using amaroK. I believe gapless and Replaygain should be working in 1.4, which are the only two features I really need.

That's good news!

Does it also read and play CUE like FB2K does?

Jun 18, 2006 at 9:00 PM Post #22 of 28
I have had good results with USB devices (iMic) using the built-in drivers. The per-application volume settings are nice, I can keep my music at 100% so its essentially bit-perfect, but then listen to voicemail at a lower volume at the same time, etc. It's a good pipeline, no complaints with it.

But, being a beta OS, not all hardware manufacturers have released updated drivers. So far I have been unable to get sound out of a Revolution 7.1 at all. The current XP drivers cause bluescreens on Vista. My AV710 partially works - I get sound, but cannot set the sample rate to 44100, so I lose quality in the 44.1k->48k resampling.

Also exciting - you can set the desired output sample/bitrate and lock it. Windows will mix and output everything at that rate. 24/44.1k will be great for simultaneous music & application sounds. No resampling for your CD's, and 8 bits extra headroom for mixing with other apps.

Jun 21, 2006 at 5:19 AM Post #23 of 28
I know one of Vista's new audio feature is support for native asynchronous USB audio devices. This means that if a manufacturer uses asynchronous instead of isochronous, they can still use the windows USBaudio.sys driver.

Jun 21, 2006 at 6:28 AM Post #24 of 28
Asynchronous USB audio is supported in XP as well.

Vista has some improvements on the robustness but an Audigy 2NX or EMI 2|6 will work just fine with the standard XP drivers.

Cheers

Thomas

Jun 21, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #25 of 28
EMI 2|6 eh? How do those sound? That might be what I need right now so I can switch to Vista instead of dual-boot. A quick search on eBay puts them at <$100

Jun 21, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomaspf
Asynchronous USB audio is supported in XP as well.

Vista has some improvements on the robustness but an Audigy 2NX or EMI 2|6 will work just fine with the standard XP drivers.

Cheers

Thomas

Thomas,

Yes, you can use Asynch for audio, but not through USBaudio.sys. I believe the audigy 2 nx uses a custom driver. With Vista, it will be easier for sound cards to use Asynch, as it is built into USBaudio.sys.

Taken from Microsoft's Universal Audio Architecture Guidlines, October, 2005:
Quote:

In Windows Server 2003 and earlier versions of Windows, usbaudio.sys supports adaptive and synchronous endpoints, but not asynchronous endpoints.

And also from Windows Platform Design Notes, Draft 0.3, 2003:

Quote:

Starting with Windows 98, Usbaudio.sys supported the adaptive and synchronous endpoints, but it did not implement the asynchronous endpoint correctly. Full support for asynchronous endpoints in Usbaudio.sys is planned for Windows Longhorn.

Now the 2003 draft says full support for asynch audio in Vista. I wonder what asynch modes usbaudio.sys supports in XP and earlier versions of Windows? I'm guessing it doesn't support asynch at all (based on 2005 Guidlines), but I don't have access to an Audigy 2nx to know for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back