Windows or OSX?
Apr 11, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #46 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trippytiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Networking with that thing has been a hassle, as it doesn't want to play well with the other computers on the network and from time to time it randomly loses wireless capability and need to be rebooted.

That is a problem with the network prefs. I had the same problem for the first week or so, but not since.

I use my Macbook as my main A/V system. It plays anything I throw at it. Bitperfect audio. It's a great laptop too.

See ya
Steve

Apr 11, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #47 of 84
this does not play well and losing connection what model and what wireless
because i have not experienced this using a dell ,macbook and macbook pro
with a linksys and then airport express and later airport extreme and the late
model macs support a,b,g and n.

Apr 11, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #49 of 84
My relative's Mac is the same way. It always works. Normally I
get calls about PC problems but after switching to the Mac, I
haven't heard a peep about any issues with it. I think if you
don't have a lot of time already invested in understanding
the operations going on within the OS, then OS X helps
you not to have to think about it if you aren't interested
in it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about Linux. Every few months I get curious and install Linux just to see for myself all the improvements over OS X Linux fans tell me exist. And every time I have the same experience: Linux configures my monitor incorrectly, causing extremely low resolution and strange colors on my 17" screen, inability to rip and play basic formats out of the box, and overall slowness compared to OS X. The first two issues are relatively easy to fix, simply because I've done them so many times. Google up some xorg.conf code, copy and paste it in, restart X, and the monitor works. Install flac, add the other software repositories, install lame, reconfigure gstreamer, and the second is fixed. However, I don't think it's fixable that clicking Konquerer creates a 7 second delay in opening a window that is unresponsive for a good 4 seconds, or that when I move the mouse pointer, a window, or anything else, that the movement is extremely choppy. I'm sure there's some fix, but by that time I'm thinking, "Why did I go to all this trouble when I could just install OS X and have a working system in 15 minutes that automatically connects to my printers, camera, and iPod, and runs twice as fast with absolutely no work from me?" I don't know what your sister's computer's problem was, but my Mac as always "just worked."

Apr 11, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #50 of 84
I used to install Redhat a lot on old machines & use
it for various learning activities. However, these days
I prefer running Linux distros in VMware to tinker
with their features or test a few things. It's better
as a server than a desktop, IMHO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another vote for Linux.
-- No DRM woes for CD rippers; no Sony rootkit.
-- Although most distros don't come with propriety codecs (mp3, wma), it is very easy to install them.
-- A music organiser that kicks serious butt: AmaroK
-- Torrent clients as good as any platform.

Disadvantages:
-- Does not support iTunes music store (correct me if I'm wrong)
-- May not play DRMed files you bought.
-- Modern distros usually work out of the box, but still require fine tuning to achieve the best effect.

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #52 of 84
Linux is, IMO, by far the best OS overall, but only if you enjoy customizing your system, if you're willing to endure a somewhat steep learning curve (at first), and if you like tinkering with computers in general - look elsewhere if you don't, at least for now. Ubuntu, SimplyMepis are good distros to start with (I prefer Ubuntu since I prefer Gnome and XFCE over KDE).

I've never used a Mac, so I can't help you there (the overall philosophy of Mac OS is something that never appealed to me).

I have used Windows XP for many years and it is a perfectly competent system for the purposes you listed (ripping CDs - EAC, downloading torrents - uTorrent). Windows has all the benefits of being the most popular OS in the world (great selection of software and compatible hardware) as well as all the problems associated with being the most popular OS (security vulnerabilities).

Apr 12, 2007 at 5:16 AM Post #53 of 84
While no OS is perfect and without it's problems. I say OS X. Windows Vista is just not an option for me because of the ridiculous DRM it's got.

No offense to linux users, but after playing with Linux for several months I've decided that it's not now, nor will it ever be fully desk-top ready for the average consumer. It is just as buggy as any windows O.S. (and depending on your system, a thousand times worse) and it still relies too heavily on the command line interface. The fact is Linux users pride themselves on that command-line user interface and have gone so far as to drive potential users away by being a bit snobbish when an average person wants to try it out and needs help.

For ease of use, simplicity, intuitiveness, etc. OS X is the way to go. If you must stick with a windows platform, XP is the one to stay with.

Apr 12, 2007 at 7:33 AM Post #54 of 84
Quote:

I have to say, my experience with Macs has been quite the opposite. I steered my sister towards getting a Macbook because I thought that even though I can't stand the OS myself, I wouldn't have to deal with it because Macs "just work," right?

Apparently not. Networking with that thing has been a hassle, as it doesn't want to play well with the other computers on the network and from time to time it randomly loses wireless capability and need to be rebooted. Printing with that thing has been a nightmare, as Apple apparently didn't see fit to include drivers for printers that even Ubuntu has. Getting it to play DivX has been and continues to be a very frustrating experience, because new problems keep popping up. And it runs painfully slow - I don't know what my sister did to it to make it like that, but I've seen OSX go faster on 400 MHz G3.

That's a very brief summary of some of the problems I've had with that machine. Overall, I can't say that OSX has been any easier to set up or maintain than Windows XP or Ubuntu, and it irritates the hell out of me when I see people pushing that "just works" claim.

It seems that she got a lemon, or have installed way too many extra apps. I have a Macbook too, and have no problem whatsoever with its speed. I do my DivX playback through VLC (though the Perian codec pack enables playback through Quicktime (including Front Row) too) and have no problems with it's networking capabilities (WLAN and connecting to my PC's drives through SMB (via both WLAN and FW).

Anyhow, I think as a technically knowledgeable person, you always get to see the worst side of your family's computers. In my case, every time I visit my father, there's something I have to fix with his XP machine.

I also suspect a lot of people are passing judgement without real experience with both Windows and OS X. Which is kind of like having an englishman used to driving on the left side of the road trying out the right side for five minutes and then giving there extremely informed view on which way of driving is the best...

Sorry if something is unclear but I'm in a hurry so...

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #55 of 84
most of the negativity is due to the fact there will always be fanboys to either
operating systems but what really bothers me is when someone cuts down
a os and they never personally tried it. i still use both but i like osx better
never attempted linux to lazy.

Apr 12, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #56 of 84
Definately Linux! Quote:

Seconded! The apps you need are all easily available on Linux. I run Ubuntu 6.10 on my laptop, and use Grip as a front end for cdparanoia to rip and LAME to encode, and Ktorrent to download (because it seems there are no good BT clients for Gnome, alas). They both work like a charm.

And although you claim you won't be playing music on your computer, I think there's a chance that Amarok may change your mind, as it is an absolutely incredible player. It's full of features that I didn't even realize I couldn't live without until I tried it a week ago. IMO, it's Linux's killer app.

I also use Grip/cdparanoia to rip and LAME to encode, but am using Azureus to download and Quod Libet as my music manager/player.

Been thinking about giving µTorrent a try though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #57 of 84
Micros*ft has done it this time with the vista $400 all-new-copied-from-Mac thing. I am trying Linux. I may not be back (if I can make it). I've been going through the linux forums and they are full of nice people helping newcomers. Well see!.

Apr 12, 2007 at 5:03 PM Post #58 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Micros*ft has done it this time with the vista $400 all-new-copied-from-Mac thing. I am trying Linux. I may not be back (if I can make it). I've been going through the linux forums and they are full of nice people helping newcomers. Well see!.

Wait until the end of the month until Ubuntu Feisty (7.04) is officially released - it should set a new standard as far as the ease of transition from XP to Linux is concerned. I'm using the beta right now and it's a really nice system. You'll also find that there is a huge community of Ubuntu users out there - this will be very helpful when you run into problems. Good luck!

[sorry for being off topic]

Apr 12, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #59 of 84
[Offtopic]: Mepis 6.5 is out - very nice, though I probably don't have enough computing power to run the 3D desktop.

[Back on topic]: Between the two evils of Windows or Mac... at least for audio stuff Windows seems to have less hassle, more features. I want to like the Mac since there is less security risk with virusus and hackers but the Mac limits what you can do. eg. I can't run flac natively on iTunes. I've heard that Apple gets to know every song you play if you are net connected. Big brother is probably watching in Windoze. Hey they both suck! But I spend a lot more time in Foobar on XP than in iTunes in OSX.

[Back offtopic}: But this is nothing compared to the time I spend in Amarok on Linux.

Apr 12, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #60 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by geardoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[Offtopic] I've heard that Apple gets to know every song you play if you are net connected. Big brother is probably watching in Windoze. Hey they both suck!

Yes, Apple is evil. If you want feedback (album information, history, cover art, etc. from iTunes store) Apple actually goes out to fetch it from a DB. They haven't worked out a system for it to magically appear yet. If you don't want those items, turn off the mini-store and iTunes doesn't fetch. I don't doubt you've heard of these Apples evils from Linux-fans, but please stop repeating unless it's supported with evidence.

As someone who runs XP, OS X and Ubuntu, I think OS X is easily the best OS. Reversing the above "photoshop" statement, I think Windows is good for gaming and some specialized apps. Linux is a server and statement OS and OS X is the best all-rounder. I run them about XP: 40%/OS X: 50%/Ubantu: 10%, but if I had to have only one, it would be OS X. Course with Web 2.0 and especially 3.0 the OS will matter less and less. Well see if content DRM fights this over time though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back