Windows Media Player vs. foobar2000
Sep 3, 2012 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sennheiserhd485

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all, 

I am going to buy the Fiio E10 to use with my Grado SR60i's. I have mostly Zune Pass protected WMA files. It has just come to my attention that foobar2000 won't play these files. 

I am wanting to know if Windows Media Player could sound as good as Foobar with Wasapi...

Is there a way to restrict all signals with WMP like there is with foobar2000?

Thanks, 
Shane

Sep 4, 2012 at 4:12 PM Post #2 of 9
WMP doesn´t support wasapi,  go figure,  but there´s an asio plugin for wmp, I´ve used it myself (not with usb audio device).  Don´t know if Í´ve answered your question...

Sep 4, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #3 of 9
Hi,

What is "asio"?

Sep 5, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #4 of 9
Well, Wasapi is the Microsoft release of Asio,  a driver that makes a shortcut between an audio source and the soundcard,  decreasing latency,  and allowing bitperfect playback.   

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
Well, Wasapi is the Microsoft release of Asio,  a driver that makes a shortcut between an audio source and the soundcard,  decreasing latency,  and allowing bitperfect playback.   

Okay, cool. Where can I find the Asio plug-in?

Sep 5, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #7 of 9
Sep 5, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
I am wanting to know if Windows Media Player could sound as good as Foobar with Wasapi...

Windows Vista/7 mixer is much better than XP's (KMixer). The difference should be minimal, if there is a difference at all...

ASIO is a protocol for low latency audio, it just happens to be used by audiophiles because it works in exclusive-mode and bypasses the Windows' mixer. You'll get the same results with WASAPI exclusive-mode (which is what you're using with foobar2000).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back