Will Westone 4 fit my needs?
Oct 15, 2011 at 4:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

AndrewG

CAUTION: Incomplete trades
Aka: Boxboxbox
I want something with a strong beat, crispy drums that you can get into. I also like emotionally involving vocals where you feel the singer, but not too bright. Is westone 4 worth getting? so music comes alive out of them? Im considering UM3X but vocals werent the strong point on those.

Oct 15, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #4 of 13
did you actually audition the Um3x?, because I do think they are the most "lively" iems out of all Westone series, especially when they are made for stage use so the vocals and instrument separation is unbelievable. I tend to listen to a lot of vocals and live concerts which actually sounds the best through my um3x. Westone 4 is completely different, very balance and smooth but flat with no passion in it. You won't be as attached to the music compared to um3x.

Oct 15, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #5 of 13
No stronger case can be made of "individual sound preferences" than stated so far in this thread.  I have the UM3X and have listened to them for several years and HATE them for female jazz vocals, male vocals like Mel Torme, Tony Bennett, esp. Sinatra in some live performances.  They just miss something to my ears.  Plus I've never gotten a good fit with the various tips on the market

So when the Westone 4 cam out, I contacted Westone with my concerns and someone told me I would really prefer the "4" over the "3X" for classical, jazz and vocals.

Have put off their purchase due to price; but now that one of the suppliers is having a 20% off sale, may have to buy them.  But I really really want to dump the 3X for somthing better both sonically and fit-wise

Oct 15, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
I want something with a strong beat, crispy drums that you can get into. I also like emotionally involving vocals where you feel the singer, but not too bright. Is westone 4 worth getting? so music comes alive out of them? Im considering UM3X but vocals werent the strong point on those.

Of the BA's I've heard, I would say yes to your requirements. I thought the W4 drums sounded great (dynamic driver like) and vocals were pretty intimate and involving; they are forward and warm but not in your face.  I also really liked the form factor and the cable.  Very nice but very expensive phones.

Oct 15, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #7 of 13
that is very unfortunate because i've always had a good fit with the um3x. I can wear it for long hours and always forget that i have it on. Tips is a huge issue with the westones and i've been through most of them. Have you tried the Shure Black Olives with the Um3x, they were the only ones that give me the best SQ and isolation.

Quote:
No stronger case can be made of "individual sound preferences" than stated so far in this thread.  I have the UM3X and have listened to them for several years and HATE them for female jazz vocals, male vocals like Mel Torme, Tony Bennett, esp. Sinatra in some live performances.  They just miss something to my ears.  Plus I've never gotten a good fit with the various tips on the market

So when the Westone 4 cam out, I contacted Westone with my concerns and someone told me I would really prefer the "4" over the "3X" for classical, jazz and vocals.

Have put off their purchase due to price; but now that one of the suppliers is having a 20% off sale, may have to buy them.  But I really really want to dump the 3X for somthing better both sonically and fit-wise

Oct 15, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #8 of 13
SM3; not too bright, nice bass kick, superberb vocals & midrange; however, soundstage/head stage feels like you are next/ in the center of the performance.

Very very very very very highly and easy to recommend.. I had the sm3 twice

Edit:
Sorry for going off topic earlier, I didn't properly read the OP's thread title;
I think the W4 are pretty decent sounding iems~ I didn't find anything to dislike when I demo-ed it against my ie8
However it did not blow me away like the sm3 in the vocals/midrange, which was simply captivating to listen to, plus the really excellent bass kick (approaching the tf10 imo)

Oct 15, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
that is very unfortunate because i've always had a good fit with the um3x. I can wear it for long hours and always forget that i have it on. Tips is a huge issue with the westones and i've been through most of them. Have you tried the Shure Black Olives with the Um3x, they were the only ones that give me the best SQ and isolation. 

the most comfortable ones I've found are the Shure "mushrooms", large size, but even them I have to push into my ears for a decent fit.  Still, these are the best for me, but still hear a "mushy" bass.  I've ordered the "4"s, so we'll see how they work.

Oct 15, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #10 of 13
hope the W4s will be a better match for your needs

Quote:
the most comfortable ones I've found are the Shure "mushrooms", large size, but even them I have to push into my ears for a decent fit.  Still, these are the best for me, but still hear a "mushy" bass.  I've ordered the "4"s, so we'll see how they work.

Oct 16, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #11 of 13
I also use the Shure black olives with my Westone 4s and to me they are the best tips. Very comfortable, great isolation and you don't even know they're in your ears. What source player are you using that disappointed you with jazz vocals?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back