Will walking through metal detectors/magnet RFID scanners spoil headphones/IEMs with them playing?
Mar 14, 2020 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

baskingshark

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi noob science question as above.

I'm not sure if the magnets involved in such gantries are powerful enough to affect any internals like voice coils in the headphones/IEMs when one walks thru with them turned on. Or would it be safer to switch the headphone/IEM off while entering such gantries?

Any advise is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020 at 3:07 AM Post #2 of 3
I have no idea about the typical electrical characteristics of IEMs above 100kHz. If BA drivers keep going like they usually do in the audible range, then the inductance must be huge but I don't know for other drivers.

My personal experience with such gates has been that at least in the audible range where I could notice sounds(no clue about the rest), the loudest noises came from using very sensitive IEMs and certain DAPs(turned ON). Same IEM with one DAP would force me to take the IEM off my ears, while with another DAP I would get nothing or much quieter noises. For a long time I've had the idea that if the DAP had an op amp that would make things worst, and that certain op amps would simply pick up/boost every crap noises and turn them into loud audible noises. But I'm sorry to say that it never got past being an idea. I could just as well have found a random correlation. also that only concerns something turning ultrasonic signals into audible artifacts, so it's probably far from the all story. <= I'm saying I don't have a clue, using many words. ^_^

Electrical engineer wanted!

Mar 14, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #3 of 3
Hi noob science question as above.

I'm not sure if the magnets involved in such gantries are powerful enough to affect any internals like voice coils in the headphones/IEMs when one walks thru with them turned on. Or would it be safer to switch the headphone/IEM off while entering such gantries?

Any advise is greatly appreciated!

If you walk through the RFID detectors, you can actually hear the hum. That being said, probably not: magnetic field strength declines at a square rate. You can't turn off headphones anyway: magnets are permanent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back