Will the hd600 sound laid back even at moderately high volumes?
Aug 28, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #16 of 24
Well, HD600s are said to be laid back as in they are not aggressive; everything sounds so natural with them. As for your genre concern, yes they are a very good all rounder, but I personally think that they sound great with Rock genre (Hard Rock, Classic Rock, Alternative Rock and J-rock are the Rocks I listen to). Yes, the presentation of HD600s is certainly different from the Grado in-your-face, they are more relaxed comparatively as in you can hear all instruments but not one will 'drown' the others. What I mean is the instrument will only stand out when the record actually highlights it. This is particularly good because my mind wouldn't be 'tired' of all the background electric guitar before the typical guitar solo during the bridge of a song. And this is why I always end up air-guitaring and pressing the repeat button! This is my personal preference and opinion though. However, if you ever get the HD600s, do give them some time, they are not cans which would make you go WOW when you first heard them, but you might come to appreciate how natural these cans sound after like 50 to 100 hours of listening. Hope that helps! Have fun in Head-Fi.

Yik

Aug 28, 2012 at 9:17 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:
Well, HD600s are said to be laid back as in they are not aggressive; everything sounds so natural with them. As for your genre concern, yes they are a very good all rounder, but I personally think that they sound great with Rock genre (Hard Rock, Classic Rock, Alternative Rock and J-rock are the Rocks I listen to). Yes, the presentation of HD600s is certainly different from the Grado in-your-face, they are more relaxed comparatively as in you can hear all instruments but not one will 'drown' the others. What I mean is the instrument will only stand out when the record actually highlights it. This is particularly good because my mind wouldn't be 'tired' of all the background electric guitar before the typical guitar solo during the bridge of a song. And this is why I always end up air-guitaring and pressing the repeat button! This is my personal preference and opinion though. However, if you ever get the HD600s, do give them some time, they are not cans which would make you go WOW when you first heard them, but you might come to appreciate how natural these cans sound after like 50 to 100 hours of listening. Hope that helps! Have fun in Head-Fi.

Yik

thanks for the help, its so hard to pick headphones lol... do you think the hd600 handles heavy metal well?

Edit: what volumes do you normally listen to? Its an important thing to consider... low, medium, medium-high, high?

Aug 28, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:
thanks for the help, its so hard to pick headphones lol... do you think the hd600 handles heavy metal well?

Edit: what volumes do you normally listen to? Its an important thing to consider... low, medium, medium-high, high?

I think the hd600 handles metal very well. But we cant really tell what your mean by "low,medium,medium-high,high" for what is a volume level is to you is a different level to someone else, and it is dependent on what amp your using and the persons hearing ability ie if you have been going to rock concerts for years your not going to have as good hearing as someone who has never really been around loud noises. So what would be describes as "medium-high" for the person not around loud noises could be low for the concert goer, If you get what I'm getting at.

Aug 28, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Generally, I never actually found the HD600 to be that laid-back - it's only a touch more laid-back and more warm than the SR225, and even then that's when the pads are old enough. I imagine it depends a lot on the amp as well - as much as ideally amps shouldn't add or take anything from the music, they're not all the same still. Little Dot MkII was too warm some notes tend to be unnatural (sounds great for smoky jazzhouse sound though), amp built into NAD304 and Marantz CD60 dynamics in the lower registers, Ibasso PB-2 was too forward image-wise but the notes sometimes were too warm. When I listened to the Meier Cantate though I waited almost a full year before I found another one for sale and grabbed it. I'm sure there are others that could have done as well for it for a bit less money, but I wanted a USB DAC and the Shanling chassis would look great next to an iPad (that I'm using as a music server).

I actually liked my HD600 better than the SR225 for metal, but there are many sub-genres of metal. If you're listening to Motley Crue I'd say the SR225 has a slight edge, even for Metallica (ditto for Behemoth and Immortal); but once you go into Dream Theater, Kamelot, Rhapsody, Therion, Nightwish, Epica, the first two After Forever albums, etc - anything that has complex layering and nuances in the symphony and the vocals, the HD600 sorts out these details better. I dunno, maybe liberators wold have helped the SR225, but I found my two cans redundant, kept the the HD600 for its better imaging and detail, and sold the SR225.

Oh, and while I normally don't listen too loud (in some meets I can hear what people are listening to), I have the Cantate on low gain at around 1:00 on the dial for most recordings. I used it with a Westone and soem Grados and I felt like low gain was safe for a wider range of headphones, then I just dial back for Dark Passion Play, etc since they were recorded a bit too loud for my tastes. But when it's Wishmaster or Karma I listen to the whole album at around 2:00 - not because they're not loud enough but my favorite albums deserve an hour a day of the loudest I can tolerate for listening.

Aug 28, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

I guess my listening volume would be medium- low and medium depending on what type of listening session (generally I don't listen that loud). Lower volume when I listen as a background music while I do something else on my computer, and higher volume when I do some serious listening. HD600s sound good even at low volume, that's the thing I like about them; I am able to listen to them almost all day long.

Aug 29, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Generally, I never actually found the HD600 to be that laid-back - it's only a touch more laid-back and more warm than the SR225, and even then that's when the pads are old enough. I imagine it depends a lot on the amp as well - as much as ideally amps shouldn't add or take anything from the music, they're not all the same still. Little Dot MkII was too warm some notes tend to be unnatural (sounds great for smoky jazzhouse sound though), amp built into NAD304 and Marantz CD60 dynamics in the lower registers, Ibasso PB-2 was too forward image-wise but the notes sometimes were too warm. When I listened to the Meier Cantate though I waited almost a full year before I found another one for sale and grabbed it. I'm sure there are others that could have done as well for it for a bit less money, but I wanted a USB DAC and the Shanling chassis would look great next to an iPad (that I'm using as a music server).

I actually liked my HD600 better than the SR225 for metal, but there are many sub-genres of metal. If you're listening to Motley Crue I'd say the SR225 has a slight edge, even for Metallica (ditto for Behemoth and Immortal); but once you go into Dream Theater, Kamelot, Rhapsody, Therion, Nightwish, Epica, the first two After Forever albums, etc - anything that has complex layering and nuances in the symphony and the vocals, the HD600 sorts out these details better. I dunno, maybe liberators wold have helped the SR225, but I found my two cans redundant, kept the the HD600 for its better imaging and detail, and sold the SR225.

Oh, and while I normally don't listen too loud (in some meets I can hear what people are listening to), I have the Cantate on low gain at around 1:00 on the dial for most recordings. I used it with a Westone and soem Grados and I felt like low gain was safe for a wider range of headphones, then I just dial back for Dark Passion Play, etc since they were recorded a bit too loud for my tastes. But when it's Wishmaster or Karma I listen to the whole album at around 2:00 - not because they're not loud enough but my favorite albums deserve an hour a day of the loudest I can tolerate for listening.

its god that the hd600 sound good at most volumes, sometimes I listen to higher volumes to get some adrenaline but sometimes I kind of tired so I prefer to listen to moderate volumes. I'll try the sr225 at a store and see what I think, I'm leaning towards the hd600 though

Aug 29, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:
I'll probably go with an hd650 cable, but if i dont, are these available in amazon or something cause I cant buy these at the moment.

custom cables pop up now n then on the resale accessories section...not to worry. 
i dun think u will see them in amazon.

go with the 650cable, it should do a better job than stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back