Will the Etymotic ER-4S Or ER-4P Be A Better Match for my Cowon D2?
May 27, 2009 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Starsky5000

500+ Head-Fier
Hi. I am seriously deciding between getting the Etymotic ER-4P or the ER-4S. I am leaning towards the ER-4S because i understand it slightly reveals a little more detail than the ER-4P.

Will my Cowon D2 be able to run the ER-4S?

I know the ER-4P is geared for portable devices but i really want the S but am i making a mistake?

I need your advice.

Thank You All.

May 27, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 8
The ER4S is slightly more accurate than the ER4P. The ER4S needs a amp to shine. You will definitely need a warm sounding portable amplifier since the Cowon D2 is a cold sounding player along with the ER4 series which are cold earphones. You will get a freezing sound.

May 27, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #3 of 8
ER4P. You can convert it to an S with an additional 70 ohm resistance cable. You can DIY or buy one. I have the ER4B, and my D2 can drive it. I have to set the volume to 40 or slightly above to get at the same level that other iems can at much lower volume levels.

May 28, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #4 of 8
Sure it can drive it but the ER4P will sound much better. ER4S should only be used with very good amplification. Bass is lean enough with ER4P and will be even leaner with ER4S without external amp. Like the poster above says, buy the P and buy an S cable to go with it for about $60 and you will have both IEM's since cable ohm is virtual only difference.

May 28, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #7 of 8
IMO, neither one matches well with the D2. I would try a different IEM, maybe the Turbines.

May 28, 2009 at 11:59 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
s sounds better than p regardless of the gear, p just gets more volume out of portable sources.

I disagree. P's better efficiency represents the frequecies a bit better, particularly the bass. Not to mention the S's inefficiency will drain your battery much faster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back