Will Nokia 5800 benefit from amping??
Nov 16, 2009 at 9:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

lisztian420

500+ Head-Fier
HI guys,

So,.. do you think an amp like IBASSO T3 will help with the overall SQ? I have heard many times about the notion of garbage in garbage out. SO... if the DAC and amp in my phone is weak, will that limit the improvement of the SQ that 5800 will provide? I really appreciate your feedbacks.

Nov 16, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #2 of 16
If i am not wrong the 5800 XM has a option of lineout from the 3.5 mm jack. So line out + a decent amp should be pretty good , atleast better than directly connecting it to the 3.5mm connecting.
also the source files need to be of high quality of course.
what earphone do you plan to use it with ?

Nov 16, 2009 at 10:07 AM Post #4 of 16
Hum... the thing is, Nokia 5800 has line out function through the headphone jack.

What makes it more complicated it that line out seems to also use some sort of internal amp as if I select the line out function, the overall volume seems to be louder but somehow the volume control is still working. IE. same as headphone out.

Nov 16, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #5 of 16
I've used my 5800 with an amp and with some headphones it did benefit, but radio interference was a big problem, so using an amp with the 5800 = no-go.
Unless you don't mind leaving your phone in flight mode when you're listening to music.

Nov 16, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #6 of 16
yeah i'm a bit confused with the line out too

i'd like an amp with my 5800 purely from the fact that 10 different levels of volume sucks. with my ad700s i need to run it at 7 or 8 all the time, and with the varying volumes of my mp3s, 7 ends up being too quiet and 8 ends up being too loud >___<

Nov 16, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #7 of 16
According the Hsiu another member here, he/she stated that the Ibasso T3 is quite good in terms of blocking out the radio interference.

SO Mongeasai, what did you notice when you used a portable amp? Which amp did you use? thanx!

Nov 17, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisztian420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According the Hsiu another member here, he/she stated that the Ibasso T3 is quite good in terms of blocking out the radio interference.

SO Mongeasai, what did you notice when you used a portable amp? Which amp did you use? thanx!

I've used it with my mates ibasso t4 and grado sr60's and my pl30 , and with my e5 and e3 with various iems.

The t4 with the sr60 did sound quite good mainly because the sr60's sound better amped anyway (imo) but the interference (RFI) was ridiculous, with any text or phone call i received the RFI was very loud. Wasn't so bad with the pl30's though, still annoying all the same.

The e3's RFI with everything was so bad it's not even worth talking about.
The e5 on the other hand was quite acceptable, it still got it's fair amount of RFI but at a much lower volume.

Overall the e5 was the best out of the lot, but i still wouldn't recommend it.
The e5 was also quite handy for fine-tuning the volume, and when you wanted a little bit more oomph behind bassy songs.

Nov 17, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 5800XM has a fake line-out. It doesn't actually take the internal opamp out of the equation as it should.

Yep, that's for sure.
Still makes it sound better though.

Nov 17, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by mogeansai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, that's for sure.
Still makes it sound better though.

You sure? Lots of things sound a lot better with just the volume cranked up. Just curious if there's actually tangible changes beyond the loudness.

Nov 17, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You sure? Lots of things sound a lot better with just the volume cranked up. Just curious if there's actually tangible changes beyond the loudness.

I can definitely hear a difference, especially when hooked up to full-size headphones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dippyboy_87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as to my ears the line-out on the 5800 only makes the bass a bit bloomy and infact reduces the clarity. not much louder also imho.

The bass does improve but IMO so does the clarity. And the volume difference is very noticeable, 4x% or so.
Could be down to the firmware though, i'm using v31 at the moment.

Nov 17, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #14 of 16
IMHO 5800 SQ?
deadhorse.gif
Good but not worth the expense of an amp.

Nov 18, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #15 of 16
Thanx guys!! I appreciate your inputs.

Honestly, that's what I am afraid of! I thought the line-out from the 5800 actually doesn't sound that good! Yes it's much louder, but clarity seems to suffer
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back